1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wet floor board

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bits2424, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Apr 7, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    bits2424

bits2424 [OP] New Member

Member:
    orlando
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner
    I have a 2001 Prerunner and latley I have noticed that the passanger side floor board is soaked!! I have been having some odor for years and thought it was coming out of my vents and Toyota could not fix that, we tried everything. :confused: One day I took the floor mat out to clean it like I do often and when I picked it up, the bottom was dripping water and the floorboard was wet. I kept the mat out and let the floorboard dry. Put the mat back in and again...soaked!! Not on top on the mat just underneith. It only happens when the floor mat is in, stays dry when left out...anyone know whats going on???? Also, on my shifter (automatic) my lights went out and can't figure out how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated..Thank you in advance!!!!!!!!

2. Apr 7, 2010 at 10:24 PM
    Youngunner

Youngunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yellowstone National Park
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma
    The standard expedition setup...
    Does it only happen when you are running the ac? Most likely its coming from the ac evaporator under the dash. I'm not sure where the drain is on a tacoma, but it might be broken or a hose might be loose. Check for a diagram in the factory service manual. I think you can find it on the forum.

The shifter light has a bulb underneath [obviously] so you need to pull the center console and cover off. Just a few screws and bolts.

3. Apr 7, 2010 at 10:49 PM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    You also have the heater core on the passenger side. Just depends what type of liquid it is and what it smells like.

As far as the mat being in or not, I'd caulk that up to more of a coincidence than anything else.

4. Apr 8, 2010 at 12:04 AM
    operaman

operaman Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Brooklyn, NY and the open road
    I'm with Youngunner first and Manlaan second...

I had this happen in my VW GTI. When I turned broad corners I could hear the water rushing from one side to the other. Sometimes spilling onto the passenger floor or my feet.

Now, I don't yet know the logistics and placement of things on my Tacoma (just bought it 2 days ago!). But here's what it was on my VW.

There is usually an outside evap drain for the AC. This is why in the summer, after running the AC there is a little puddle of water under the car. This can happen in the winter too. Some defrosters use the AC to defrost... you're removing humidity from the air. Thus, "conditioning" it.

My VW's AC drained through the fire wall (Someone here can tell you where ours drain). My drain had been blocked by the Firewall/heat shield/Mylar-bubble-wrap stuff by a previous tech. But also consider rocks, mud, tubing bends/kinks, wasps, leaves... anything that might stop it up.

Anyway, after much much trial and error I found it. Blew some VERY LOW PRESSURE air through it and moved the offending Firewall material. Eventually it evaporated like it was supposed to. There was also a lot of Wet-Dry-Vac time cleaning it up.

So, I say try that.

My other advice would be to go to the car wash with a buddy and have them hit all the doors, windows, and possible points of entry while you sit inside. Look for leaks. It could be a leaky windshield, or a bad door seal. But I'm betting on the AC evap drain.

If it's the heater core, it will not smell or taste (if you dare) like water. I can't help you on this. But I know it happens. My Pop and I had this happen on an old '56 Chevy.

Another option. If you have a sunroof, there are drains inside the edges (again speaking from VW MKIII experience). Those get clogged-up easily with leaves and crap. Blow them open with compressed air if a little cup of water poured inside the open edges doesn't drain.

I think the reason its dry without the floor-mat is because the water evaporates from the floor when the rubber mat isn't there keeping the moisture locked in.

I hope you can find it before it gets too warm... BC mold is a real bitch to get rid of. If it ever comes to that, I have another fix.

Good luck and keep us informed.

5. Apr 8, 2010 at 10:12 AM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    x2 on the windshield seal leaking. I've seen this before on a '98.

6. Apr 8, 2010 at 10:17 AM
    greenguy

greenguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    west chester
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Crew Cab
    I had that problem on my 84. Reason - my floor board had rotted. If i punched my left foot hard enough I could have touched the tire.

Products Discussed in

To Top