1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What about RUST on an '01 Tacoma?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by des kaiser, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Jul 4, 2008 at 1:24 PM
    des kaiser

des kaiser [OP] Member

Member:
    I had to have my bumpers repainted on my 2001 Tacoma after less than a year (warranty) due to blistering paint and rust underneath. Should I contact Toyota about it? It looks ok underneath but I had it undecoated with that oil stuff for the last 3 years and don't drive it much. It only has around 44,000 miles. Opinions appreciated.

EDIT: Just crawled under my mint condition 2001 Tacoma.......FRAME ROT!
    It's been a while since I went under this thing as I have someone do the oil and grease.
    I'm a certified welder by trade and I can assure you this frame is NOT in good shape. All the undercoating is flaked. The welds look rotted and the metal was pretty thin to begin with. If I were to grind on this stuff to get to CLEAN metal, there would be very little left to weld on. The only thing that possibly prevented this thing from rotting through is the oil based undercoating I had done for the past 3 years. It's on there THICK and has been doing its job. The rest of the underside looks great. Splash plates, etc all look good. Some even have most of the paint on them! It's just the darn frame that looks like crap. I'm calling Toyota Customer Service on Saturday as they are closed today. My weekend is ruined. I'd planned on keeping this vehicle for the rest of my days but if the darn frame is rotted........what's the point? Suggestions?? I'll try and post some photos later in the weekend. Nobody takes better care of a Tacoma than Des Kaiser (me). I'm bummed out..............Does anyone have a direct phone number to the department at Toyota USA who handles this issue? Thanks and happy 4th. Mine is ruined.

2. Jul 4, 2008 at 3:10 PM
    des kaiser

des kaiser [OP] Member

Member:
    Many thanks to this forum for pointing out the frame rot issue. I would never had known otherwise and it made me crawl under my Tacoma at a 4th of July party with friends to view. Garage kept and less than 5500 miles a year. Never had a problem with it other than cosmetics like the bumpers rusting after less than a year. Go figure.

3. Jul 4, 2008 at 3:13 PM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    Sorry to hear that man! hopefully you'll find a solution!

4. Jul 5, 2008 at 2:52 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Sorry to hear that...... I owned a 96 and did my own work to it. Never would've thought to check the frame either back then.

It's a damn shame.....It's great toyota is covering it. However - anyone who's lucky enough to own one that doesnt' have frame rot - how long before theirs will be affected? All those nice trucks getting crushed.... and who's gonna wanna buy a used one ?

Is that why the newer trucks have C channel frames now....Toyota must have known about this issue for a long time.

5. Jul 6, 2008 at 5:53 PM
    char428

char428 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 sr5 trd extracab v6
    stock
    1 866 572 6707 try this number

6. Jul 6, 2008 at 6:10 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Sounds to me more n more Toyota had some leftover frames from 2000 and used them on '01s! My '01 frame is pristine front to back! How is this possible? Keep in mind I'm close to the Pacific Ocean and its salt has kissed this truck many a day!

7. Jul 7, 2008 at 3:20 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Are you sure its prestine? I've heard the frames rot from the inside out and you can't necessarily see it from the outside.

8. Jul 7, 2008 at 7:03 AM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Hi Janster! Oh yeah it is definately perfect! I was all up in it running coax for my radio equipment, installing the bullbar, and last but not least, after reading here, took my droplight and crawler under there and gave it another onceover front to back. Nothing but a little bit of surface rust fluffing around on the ends of the rear leafs:)

9. Jul 7, 2008 at 7:11 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    The Frame on my Moms Sequioa is showing rust on the rear passenger side close to the axle and wear the bumper mounts. There also seems to be some rust on the axle itself and the differential. Yall think Toyota would warranty this? Its only got 77K miles and is an '03. Original owners and only had it serviced at the dealer it was bought at.

I'll get a pic later today.

10. Jul 7, 2008 at 3:50 PM
    des kaiser

des kaiser [OP] Member

Member:
    I called Toyota today. They took the info like VIN # , name, original owner etc and gave me a case number. Told me to take it to the dealer and get it checked out. I asked, "is this free of charge?" Customer service woman said "That's something you'll have to take up with the DEALER as the 2001 is not included in the frame rot issue". I asked "how much can I expect to be charged for this inspection as my frame is rotting out??" She got nervous and said the "DEALER liason who is handling this issue would contact ME in 1 to 3 business days". She also tossed in a few things about "numerous inquiry about the 2001 model" and "we are not yet sure if the program will be expanded to other years".

I see a long and protracted battle ahead with lots of BS. I also sent a certified letter to Toyota USA HQ with all the info plus detailed photos of the outside of the truck (MINT) along with the frame of the truck (ROT). The only rot on the truck is the FRAME. Will keep you posted. I'm NOT letting this one go.......................

11. Jul 7, 2008 at 3:58 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Youll be OK kaiser- they DO NOT wanna play with your life believe that! Paying you off is the cheaper way to go for them and the frame IS rotted, they cannot deny it:)

12. Jul 7, 2008 at 4:27 PM
    des kaiser

des kaiser [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for the kind words Ridgerunner. Time will tell. I planned on keeping this truck for the rest of my life! Love it! It runs like it's brand new for Gods sake. I've had lots of cars and trucks but the FRAME should be one of the last things that rots out. The BODY is paper thin on these and you would think this would go long before the frame would. Very sad and hoping for the best.

FWIW: I went to the local Toyota dealer after work and they had an '08 regular cab w/2.7 engine....same color as my 2001! Same engine and mileage rating as my 2001 so I assume it has the same mechanical properties and only the cosmetics were changed. Crawled underneath it an guess what? The FRAME is C-channel and WIDE OPEN to the elements! Looks like this is a MAJOR change they made other than cosmetics. The truck looks very close to the '01 model otherwise. Performance and mileage seem identical.

13. Jul 7, 2008 at 11:17 PM
    Gravehunter

Gravehunter Member

Member:
    Southwest, IA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota prospect
    Great now theres 01's with this rust problem. I've been trying to find a used 01 to get away from frame rust issues of previous years but havn't found any in my price range. Guess i'll have to look for an 02 now. This is getting expensive. :(

Hope they take care of you! Seems like they are treating people with 95.5-00 very well with this issue. Good thing because thats the only reason i keep looking for one. :cool:

14. Jul 8, 2008 at 3:54 PM
    des kaiser

des kaiser [OP] Member

Member:
    I got a call from Toyota dealer today. They said the 2001's are now included in the "free inspection" frame issue and left a lengthy urgent message on my cell phone. They said it is urgent that I bring it in as soon as possible and a "check could be written" if there is a problem. The sound of panic was what I heard. They said that later models other than the 2001 are also included and my VIN # is definatley included but I can find no press release on this issue. Customer service rep, special inpsection techs, etc will all be waiting for me later in the week when I bring it in to the dealer. Will keep you posted............

15. Jul 8, 2008 at 4:50 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Your post prompted me to call the dealer where I bought my '01 from. They indeed told me that although no official word yet, they have been put on notice on the 2001's for possible inspections! WOW! They told me that I will get a notice in the mail if my VIN is a part of this. Thanks for keeping us up to date buddy:)

16. Jul 8, 2008 at 4:59 PM
    des kaiser

des kaiser [OP] Member

Member:
    I'll keep you all posted after the inspection. Will try to have it done by the weekend. I just listened to the cell phone message again and it says the rust inspections have been expanded to 2004 model years!

WOW.

17. Jul 8, 2008 at 5:24 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Keep it on this thread OK? that way we keep a the info you have focused in one place:))

18. Jul 8, 2008 at 5:49 PM
    des kaiser

des kaiser [OP] Member

Member:
    I'll keep it on this thread as requested. Will post the final conclusion on a seperate thread. So sad.......I love this truck and it's crumbling from the strongest point (frame).

19. Jul 10, 2008 at 5:16 PM
    des kaiser

des kaiser [OP] Member

Member:
    Just got back from the dealer for my free inspection of the frame. The teenager who looked at it said "the visual inspection shows the frame is in great shape". The woman behind the desk said "only 2001 Tacomas made in the first half of 2001 are of concern." My Tacoma was made "in the later half of 2001 so is NOT INCLUDED in the recall".

I'm a welding inspector by trade. One way you can tell if this frame is rotting from the inside out is ultrasound inspection. A teenager looking at it does not tell me the frame is in good shape. Disgusted.............

20. Jul 10, 2008 at 5:18 PM
    des kaiser

des kaiser [OP] Member

Member:
    One more thing. I asked for something in writing that says the frame is in good shape. Here is what I got. A reciept that says "not applicable to recall" and "truck is in great shape". That's it.

Products Discussed in

To Top