1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What aftermarket bumper is the best

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by donttellmyhusband, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Nov 28, 2011 at 10:38 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    OP, if you have any questions about my products feel free to contact me.
    Good luck with your search and making a decision on your husbands gift! :)

2. Nov 28, 2011 at 11:06 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    ato, relentless, cbi or arb imo this should just about conclude your choices. i have the arb on my truck its a heavy bastard but, very strong!

relentless can make an aluminum bumper that would keep the weight down up front. the reason the weight is important is because the suspension will need to be beefed up to handle some of these heavier plate steel bumper's and that opens a whole different can of worms for the both of you.

the arb will need new coils to not nose dive like crazy when stopping abruptly.

btw jandrews bumper is slick as snot the ato hybrid is a very nice looking and i'm positive tough bumper. either way here is a shot of mine look for a bumper with the frame straps as well because if he ever decides to throw a winch in there you want the load to be evenly distrubted across the bumper so you don't damage anything.

1.jpg
    6.jpg

3. Nov 29, 2011 at 12:08 AM
    Thorpedo26

Thorpedo26 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon Thorpe
    Justin TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 silver 4 cylinder
    Blacked out badges, weathertechs, painted grill, cut tailpipe, removed mud flaps, black head lights, red calipers, tinted tails, front and rear bilsteins are here along with fatbobs spacer and aal awaiting install, also a set of 16 inch pro comps are here and 265/75/16 dynapros
    I personally would pick the ato hybrid I plan to get one in the future! Best of both worlds

4. Nov 29, 2011 at 12:51 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    Relentless Fabrication Aluminum Bumper

5. Nov 29, 2011 at 12:56 AM
    06rubi

06rubi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Pueblo West, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM (wife's truck)
    Debadged, tinted windows, 7 pin relocated, bed lights, 12 volt socket in bed of truck, on board air, auxiliary fuse box, grill craft, hella 500's, t-rex eyelids, pink budbuilt skids, icon remote resi coil over, camburg uca, alcan rear springs, ubolt flip, icon 2.5 remote rear resi shocks
    ^^^^^^^This.
    I'm very picky too. I do tons of research on anything I purchase. We choose Relentless for the bumpers and sliders for my wife's truck for the great looks, great assumed quality (never seen any in person just going off of pictures and word of mouth), his attention to detail on the small things and he is a young guy starting his own business. The wait time was pretty long but he did move to a different state and is still building up his product line. Her stuff ships this week so we finally will be able to see it in person soon!

6. Nov 29, 2011 at 4:21 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

You won't be disappointed ;)

7. Nov 29, 2011 at 5:24 AM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    Another thing to look into is winches. Almost all the plate bumpers will allow you to mount a winch to them, but only a couple tube bumpers are equipped for it.

The type of offroading plays a factor too. If he likes driving fast and jumping his truck a tube style bumper is more appropriate. The weight is lower on these, but they still provide impact protection. The downside is the tubing usually has large gaps that leave your truck vulnerable to protrusions.

If he is into a more exploration type of offroading where he will be going slower and crawling over obstacles a plate bumper may be more appropriate. Since the bumpers are made entirely of plate your truck has a more complete protection from protrusions. The ability to mount a winch will also help get you over obstacles.

8. Nov 29, 2011 at 5:44 AM
    cmfranks

cmfranks Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Austin,TX
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Pre-Runner 6in Pro Comp Lift
    BHLM, Pro Comp Skid Plate, AFE Drop in Air Filter, Tint, Pioneer AVH 4000 DVD,Polk Audio 6.5 components, Polk 6.5 co-ax's, Polk Audio 400.1 amp, Polk Audio 500.1 amp, (2) Polk Audio 10 in Momo subs, Mr Marv sub box, Sockmonkey decals, Redline Elite hood struts, Bak Flip tonneau cover, N-Fab Nerf bars, Painted Center Console & Window/Door Lock Panels Black, Amber LED Dome/Map Lights

NICE PICS!!!!!!!!!

9. Nov 29, 2011 at 5:52 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    ARB- Proven product with safety in mind...:cool:

10. Nov 29, 2011 at 6:08 AM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    Agreed, I can't say it enough. The Ausies really know their shit when it comes to off road equipment (10% of their roads are paved). Their bumpers don't scream Bro and look great on a stock truck. :D

11. Nov 29, 2011 at 8:24 AM
    donttellmyhusband

donttellmyhusband [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner Double Cab SR5
    I totally understand. I wouldn't want to buy him something that he doesn't like. The truth be told, the tacoma is both of our thing. Sometimes I think I love the off-roading more then he does. He wouldn't research his choices that well. So I try to at least narrow down which ones are the overall best performing. And then if a clear choice is not there, he then only has a few to chose from.

12. Nov 29, 2011 at 8:34 AM
    donttellmyhusband

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That is another thing that I was curious about. To get a wench or not to get one. I see that most MFG's sale them, but I really don't see too many trucks on the road with them.

13. Nov 29, 2011 at 8:37 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    i love my arb they are widely availible come powder coated and have the option of a pretty nice set of running lights turn signals and fog lights.

mine is a beast it looks bad ass imo. they are designed correctly geometry is used to take the strength of the bumper higher than most they are approved for on road use and approved by insurance companies.they are also roo tested lol have a nice frame strap design to evenly distribute the load found when winching bumpers with out that strap tend to not hold up to winching very well.

ato relentless and arb make some of the best imo i would ask him which one he like better than surprise him with it.

14. Nov 29, 2011 at 8:37 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    So for his birthday print up a gift certificate with pics of a couple of choices and put it in a card.:cool: I wish I was getting one for my birthday.

15. Nov 29, 2011 at 8:38 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    i just installed a warn m8000 in mine :)

edit: i have a question for you what on his truck already suspension wise? if he is running the stock suspension you going to be introuble with the arb and forget about a winch in it with out getting a new suspension set-up. i had mentioned this before but, wanted to make sure that this was being taken into consideration.

16. Nov 29, 2011 at 8:38 AM
    donttellmyhusband

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Your truck is super clean looking. I like that everything matchs. Did the airbag factor weigh in when you decided to go with ARB. I have small children that my honey takes to school. So I didn't know if that should be a determining factor.

17. Nov 29, 2011 at 8:45 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    The newer trucks don't have airbag sensors in the bumpers and will work just fine.

18. Nov 29, 2011 at 8:45 AM
    donttellmyhusband

Member:
    Vehicle:
    how long did you go without a winch? I am wondering if I should order one with the bumper?

19. Nov 29, 2011 at 8:50 AM
    tamer

tamer hamerworx.com

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR AC, MGM, 4x4, 6spd MT
    Do you have a sister? I need to get married to someone like you. Lucky man.

20. Nov 29, 2011 at 8:52 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    If you think you will order one, get it with the bumper. It will be easier to deal with. Otherwise, you will have to take the bumper off to install it.

Products Discussed in

To Top