1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What are the fixes for a truck that skipped leg day?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by nemo2020, May 26, 2022.

1. May 26, 2022 at 7:33 PM
    nemo2020

nemo2020 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I picked this truck up used and the previous owner put this suspension/wheels (265/70R17) on it. To me it looks off. Like it skipped leg day. But I'm not entirely sure how to fix it.

Some "solutions" I considered:

--Drop it an inch or so. I don't need much lift for most of the adventuring I do. (It's lifted about 2.5" now.)

--Change the rims from 17 to 16 so I get a little more sidewall. (I prefer the look of sidewall over a bigger rim on my trucks anyway.) I wouldn't mind 16" TRD pro rims. They're lightweight.

--Obviously I could increase the tire size. I'm sure 35's would solve it. But I don't really want to go down that road. I could maaaaybe bump it up from the 32s on it to 33s if I thought that might make me enjoy it more. But no bigger.

Can anyone with more knowhow than me weigh in? It looks off and I'm not 100% sure how to fix that.

**I suspect part of the hard part is that it's a long boi. Tough to balance that length out. They kind of need giant wheels, I suspect. But I dunno.

2. May 26, 2022 at 7:51 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Back to stock suspension, drive happily. Done.

3. May 27, 2022 at 1:13 PM
    clenkeit

clenkeit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 White DCLB TRD Sport
    What kind of suspension is on it? Depending on what you have it may or may not be nice components and may or may not be adjustable or easily removed. If you provide some details on that it should make it a lot easier for people to suggest easy/practical solutions that apply to your specific situation.

Also, the tires on it aren't 32's, they're 31.6" - only one inch larger than stock (30.6"). Obviously not a big difference but definitely contributing to the look you don't like. That said, you probably can't go any larger without rubbing but it depends a lot on the specific tire, wheel offset and alignment settings.

I went through a similar situation when I bought my truck. It came with a 3"/1" "leveling" kit which did more than level and actually gave it some bro lean. He also had 33" tires and 17" negative offset wheels. I didn't like the look at all. I sold off all those parts and started from scratch. Ended up with 16" wheels, skinny 33" tires and a functional 2"/2" lift.

28D54A33-8623-4145-938F-617EF432CE97.jpg

Same suspension but with 265/75/16 (31.6”)
    DE42C7C4-6555-43AE-BEDD-161E8C043FB5.jpg

Last edited: May 27, 2022

Products Discussed in

To Top