1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What branch should i join?

Discussion in 'Military' started by jackkpecoraa18, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Apr 7, 2016 at 8:59 PM
    xenophon

xenophon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCSB Tacoma TRD 4x4 Manual
    You're welcome. Best of luck to you.

2. Apr 16, 2016 at 9:00 AM
    FRE1809

FRE1809 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island,N.Y. ; USN ( Ret.)
    I served 22 years USN as an engine room engineer. 24 days after retiring got a job at a utility plant for a university ( Fashion Institute of technology) .T he 4 th year at the job promoted to shift supervisor. God bless the Navy, best thing i ever did.

jackkpecoraa18[OP] likes this.
  3. Apr 16, 2016 at 9:26 AM
    Bloodhound

Bloodhound Banned from the Pics Thread

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    Floor-mats, Running Boards, Shorty Antenna, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, AVS In-Channel VentVisors, Beer cans in the bed
    Former Navy here (Engineman-diesel mechanic and basically jack of all trades working on machines). I did 4.5 yrs at the end of the "Liberation of Kuwait" and learned quite a bit, grew up even more and met thousands of interesting people (and a bunch of dip-shits as well).

If anyone was asking me directly what service to join, if they were serious about staying in as a career, I would point them towards Air Force for the better living conditions.

4. Jul 11, 2016 at 1:52 PM
    SteadsN4LOW

SteadsN4LOW I Like Toyota Trucks and the Grateful Dead

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Denver Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD
    Lots of Custom Stuff
    airforce, i was army and if i went airforce instead i might have stayed

5. Jul 19, 2016 at 6:05 AM
    Dean1967

Dean1967 Member

Member:

6. Jul 19, 2016 at 6:20 AM
    qxrtz4321

qxrtz4321 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Montana / Washington
    The answer is Air Force, Navy by a close second.

7. Jul 19, 2016 at 6:27 AM
    SteadsN4LOW

SteadsN4LOW I Like Toyota Trucks and the Grateful Dead

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Denver Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD
    Lots of Custom Stuff
    Army can be described as: "The best and worst times of your life" but you don't know that until you get out.

8. Jul 19, 2016 at 6:44 AM
    genconex

genconex Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Tan Valley
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport DC LB 4X4
    -Leer shell -ImMrYo mirror bracket -OME suspension kit -1.5" Body Lift -Dirt King UCAs -Dirt King LCAs -Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator -315/17R70's on 17x9 wheels -Pelfrey aluminum front bumper -Smitty XRC 9500 winch with Warn wireless remote and incab switch -Blackoak LED lightbar -Rigid fog lights
    Here's some good perspective for you:

I've been in 18 years; 2 more until I retire. I'm employed by the Navy but haven't been in "The Real Navy". I have spent a lot of time in Joint commands pounding sand with my Army, Air Force, and Marine brothers.

- Air Force trains their personnel really well. Some of the most technically sound people I've ever served with.
    - Marines are a good group of guys. In all honesty there's a bunch of intelligent Marines. They tend to get the Navy's hand me down when it comes to technology based equipment.
    - Army is very specialized in their career fields. ie; A 25L builds a cable but doesn't plug it in. Within they're specialties they know their jobs well.
    - Navy is more of a jacks of all trades and a master of none. We're the least specialized. At least in my career field.

I don't know a whole lot about doing circles in the middle of the ocean. Only served on one ship and it was a flag ship. So, it was more or less a big party traveling from Port to port.

What I do know is that there's a much better brotherhood that I experienced while pounding sand.
    I'm currently back in a "normal" Navy command on shore duty and it's lame.
    If I were to do it over again I'd have joined the AF or Army.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  9. Jul 19, 2016 at 7:04 AM
    genconex

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Tan Valley
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport DC LB 4X4
    -Leer shell -ImMrYo mirror bracket -OME suspension kit -1.5" Body Lift -Dirt King UCAs -Dirt King LCAs -Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator -315/17R70's on 17x9 wheels -Pelfrey aluminum front bumper -Smitty XRC 9500 winch with Warn wireless remote and incab switch -Blackoak LED lightbar -Rigid fog lights
    Best piece of advice I can give you is to wisely choose your career field. Ask questions at the recruiting station and MEPS.
    Look into the technical career fields that have promising careers outside of the military.

Something that will provide you with hands on experience that the world will always need.

10. Jul 19, 2016 at 7:09 AM
    Championsumo

Championsumo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB 4X4 TRD Sport
    I guess I'll chime in as well. I spent 8 years in the Marines and while it was great and I am proud of my service and the heritage of the Marine Corps I'm not sure that the Marines is the best choice if you are looking for career specific training when you go back to civilian life. My opinion is related to my infantry service and my experience after getting out and the experience of other infantry Marines.

If you are looking seriously at the Marine Corps and do want to transfer your military experience over to the civilian world I would look close and hard at the MOS's offered that have good crossover ability.

jackkpecoraa18[OP] and 0311K1LL like this.
  11. Jul 19, 2016 at 7:31 AM
    genconex

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Tan Valley
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport DC LB 4X4
    FYI, the people who have claimed that Coasties don't deploy into hazardous locations are misguided.
    When I was in Iraq in 2007 there were a few of them out there.

Every branch, depending on your Rating (Navy and Coast Guard), AFSC (Air Force), or MOS (Marine Corps and Army) and your duty assignment can put you into some sketchy situations.

12. Jul 19, 2016 at 7:51 AM
    MojaveMadman

MojaveMadman Cali Raised LED

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD OR
    All New Everything
    OP, I would say you should look into other options... Looking at your desire for school and engineering, you would be best suited and probably happier outside of the military. If you want to run and gun, do special ops, fly, or other jobs that are only available in the services, then I get it. But if you want to be an engineer, and be on the cutting edge of engineering, then the civilian sector has the best opportunities. Look into defense contractors like Sandia National Labs, they do a lot of weird fuels and research stuff (owned by Lockheed Martin). Though most civilian companies require a masters degree to be competitive. I have a few friends that are engineers and have their masters, it is a worthy pursuit and most loved it!

If you are heart set on joining, as an engineer, the Air Force is the place to be. I work with many engineers and the Air Force hires a lot of them. Look into AFRL, Air Force Research Laboratories. They hire most of the engineers in the service. You can do things like fuels research for jet engines and rockets. There are also some flying opportunities for engineers if you go the flight test route. I worked with a couple at Edwards that were Air Force Test Pilot school graduates. It is very competitive, but the opportunities are there and the Air Force will pay you to get your Masters Degree if you qualify.

It is important to think about what you want your daily life to be like. The military has some cool toys, but it is also very restrictive and there isn't a lot of room for free thinking and exploring, both personally and professionally. The civilian sector is a lot more open and allows you to work your way, but you have to get the education on your own and make yourself qualified. Both paths will require a tremendous amount of work and dedication. I have served for 9 years and this is just one guys opinion. I have been lucky enough to work in some cool places, but there have been some draw backs and it isn't an easy life. I am trying to be honest and not favor one way or another.

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/AFRL/

Good luck and if you want to be an engineer, stick with it! No mater which way you go, keep on going and don't let people dissuade you.

13. Jul 22, 2016 at 6:26 AM
    0311K1LL

0311K1LL The Old Breed

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Jupiter, FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR AC 2.7L 4X4
    OME 887 w/Bilstein 5100's, 1.5 AAL, SPC LR UCAs 285/75/r16 Toyo AT2s!
    Don't be a pussy.

Be a man, join the Marines. Drink beer, bang bitches, party, and shoot... and shoot some more.:infantry:

:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

14. Mar 29, 2017 at 7:42 PM
    jackkpecoraa18

jackkpecoraa18 [OP] I like to party.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Bradford, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver Lifted Regular Cab
    Lotsa shit.
    okay, so it has been a minute y'all. I have been busy just trying to finish high school strong. I wanna know what some of you guys think of trying to become a Marine Combat Engineer. Does this sound like a good gig to you guys? any input is better than no input. Thank you.

15. Mar 30, 2017 at 5:45 AM
    Championsumo

Championsumo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB 4X4 TRD Sport
    Well not to be biased but the Marines are the best! If you have a good idea what a combat engineer does and think it sounds great, and you like the idea of being a Marine and understand all the pain and suffering that goes along with that then I say go for it.

16. Mar 30, 2017 at 5:48 AM
    SocalOC

SocalOC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Sport
    17" rockstart 2 levling kit 285/70/17 toyo ipen country
    My buddy is a USM and god damn he loves it .. big ass jar head but ill tell you this much he isint the same guy he was before he did 4 tours in iraq. My little sister us 15 years in the USN and she has been all over the world. You have alot of money if you on a boat since you cant do shit. If you smart enough AF is the way to go .. just my 2 cents

17. Mar 30, 2017 at 6:06 AM
    GreeGunc

GreeGunc Full of regret

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    North GA
    Vehicle:
    1st gen 3rz+18' inferno OR 6spd
    2lo mod. PIAA 510s. Green Floor Lights. Green dash swap. Axle dump exhaust. Husky floor mats. Moto metal mo970's. Shrockworks. Sundown sa-8. 9.5xrc. Kings
    Im in the army at the moment, but getting discharged as we speak. I hate it every since I got in, wish I would've went airforce. I have only made it through basic and mostly my job training. I couldn't take it, i talked with some physiatrists and they recommended i be separated. It sucks knowing you've told your family and friends your joining the army and be out within a year. One thing is for sure, you will never find a better brotherhood than the guys along side you. I made it through training with some guys and i feel like they are more of a friend than the guys i spent 8 years of school with.

So, think about it. Look at your options, think way into it cause its a pain to get out from your contract. Don't listen to recruiters and actually talk to people that have been there and done it, not some guy getting paid to tell you all the good things.

18. Mar 30, 2017 at 6:24 AM
    Fiend13

Fiend13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    I chose the Air Force because I wanted to be a jet mechanic so that branch made sense to me when I was young. But, I was young and didn't explore all my options because if I had then I could have joined the corp and also been a jet mechanic. However, looking back on when I joined over 10 years ago until now, I have no regrets. I mean yeah, I've worked many 12's weeks in a row, weekends, holidays, but in the end I still love being a jet mechanic. My advice, talk to a few different recruiters but don't buy into the shit they sell when you first go in. Talk with them for a bit to see about career options and what not. If you have any questions about certain things just ask us. We'll all be real with you and tell you the truth, won't hold back. A recruiter may only tell you what they want in order to sell you on whatever job they can.

19. Mar 30, 2017 at 6:38 AM
    US Marine

US Marine Semper Fi

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Gallatin Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    02 Pre Runner supercharged 4cyl
    TRD supercharger , Doug Thorley header , K&N CAI 265/75-16 Toyo open country mud terrain , 15x8 Method Racing wheels , Rancho 3" lift , 4.88 gears , Detroit Locker
    Oooh Rah !!

US Marine here 1981-84 and was a #2111

20. Mar 30, 2017 at 5:48 PM
    jackkpecoraa18

jackkpecoraa18 [OP] I like to party.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Bradford, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver Lifted Regular Cab
    Lotsa shit.
    thanks guys. I am just looking for any advice so I can best weigh my options. Thanks again

Products Discussed in

To Top