1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What can I use to touch up rust spots on my sliders?

Discussion in 'RCI Metalworks' started by Wise Wolf, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Apr 13, 2021 at 1:02 PM
    Wise Wolf

Wise Wolf [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Miami, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCLB 4x4 OR V6 AT Barcelona Red
    RCI 5 degree Rock Sliders, Clazzio Leather Seat Covers, Tacoma Door Sills, Tacoma Rubber Bed Mat, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Mud Flaps, WeatherTech SunShade.
    Hi everyone,
    So I noticed that the rock sliders that I purchased from RCI with powder coating are starting to get rust spots in some areas like this:

20210413_154553.jpg

20210413_154611.jpg

Im also starting to get some rust under my front bumper on this metal beam:

20210413_154646.jpg

Im wondering if its better to use spray paint on it? or can I use a can of rustoleum like this?: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ol...ack-Interior-Exterior-Paint-7779504/100160860

The Rustoleum would be easier to apply without worrying about getting spray paint on my truck but im not sure if it would work as good as the spray paint and its probably more for house stuff than vehicles.

I also have a few cans of Krylon Spray Paint laying around: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B36CQ5M/

2. Apr 13, 2021 at 3:06 PM
    RCI-Offroad

RCI-Offroad Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Loveland, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    RCI Full Skids and Sliders, Icon Stage 7 Lift, 315-70-16 Cooper STT Pros, RCI Front Bumper, RCI Rear Bumper, Come-up 9k winch, Rigid 30" bar, back-up lights, ditch lights, fogs, ARB front locker, RCI 18" adjustable bed rack, Cascadia RTT, ARB Fridge, ARB twin compressor, Switch-Pros power, Off-grid 4x4 dual battery system
    That Krylon paint is actually what we recommend for touch up! That paint in the Semi-flat black is a near perfect match for our powder coating. Please keep in mind that the paint is finnicky and enamels do have a shelf life. I would highly recommend a fresh can and setting it in some warm water prior to spraying!

3. Apr 13, 2021 at 4:40 PM
    Wise Wolf

Member:
    Miami, Florida
    Vehicle:
    RCI 5 degree Rock Sliders, Clazzio Leather Seat Covers, Tacoma Door Sills, Tacoma Rubber Bed Mat, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Mud Flaps, WeatherTech SunShade.
    Thanks, good thing I asked before buying that can of rust-o-leum from Home Depot lol! :p I appreciate the tip on the self life of the Krylon spray paint cans as well, this is my first truck so im still learning how to do maintenance on it and stuff as I go along. I guess ill get a cardboard box or something and hold it up against the door while im spraying the sliders and wait until its a day with no wind.

4. May 25, 2021 at 12:11 PM
    Camby

Camby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Magnuson Supercharger TRD CAI Catch Can After market dual exhaust Heated Mirror Kit Install Aftermarket Head and Tail lights Several accessory Mods
    A bit off topic; what you (RCI) recommend for a finish for your bare metal products? I have a set of your rock sliders heading my way, and I was originally thinking of Steel-It Paint...but not so sure???

BeatnikFink likes this.
  5. Apr 2, 2023 at 1:16 PM
    Fifthgen

Fifthgen Member

Member:
    Have you had any additional rust since painting over with the krylon?

6. Apr 2, 2023 at 2:14 PM
    Wise Wolf

Member:
    Miami, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Yeah it looks like the bottom of the sliders had some rust spots too that spread, honestly its probably better to order the sliders without powder coating and to spray paint them yourself or get them Line-X'ed before you put them on your truck. The powder coating that RCI uses doesnt seem to be very good. Also after I posted negatively about RCI on Tacomaworld my account on RCI's website mysteriously got deleted with my invoice number and order info but I had an email saved from when they sent me the order info.

I still ordered other parts from RCI though, I got the full skid plate package from them and the rear diff skid plates because CBI is too far from where I live and their shipping rates are outrageous to ship to where I live.

Fifthgen[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top