1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What crimp tool for 4 AWG?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by eazyrider711, May 27, 2014.

1. May 27, 2014 at 12:20 PM
    eazyrider711

eazyrider711 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Northern, CO
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB T|X Baja
    So, I've been reading up on the auxiliary fuse block mounts and how people wire them up. Lots of good info and some great work by people. The one question I can't find here relates to what crimp tool to use. I saw one guy used a handheld crimper that looks similar to some of the tools I use in IT. When I look online at Paladin Tools and their crimpers, I don't see anything rated for 4AWG.

So, the questions I have are,

1. Is 4 AWG the right gauge to be working with to wire up the Blue Sea fuse blocks?
    2. What crimp tools do you guys use?
    3. Do I need to spend $150+ on those massive heavy duty crimpers?

I could justify a Paladin Tool easier since I could swap out dies and use it for more than just this project. I don't want to spend the money though if I'm doing it wrong in the first place.

PS - I'm also going to be replacing the cables in my Camry and expect I could use the crimpers for that job as well.

Thanks guys,

Eazy

Paladin Tools Crimpers - http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1755660.pdf

Heavy Duty Crimpers - http://www.amazon.com/SDT-JT-300-To...sbs_hi_12?ie=UTF8&refRID=0HPEAQSCCCTZC4KM6HYY

2. May 27, 2014 at 12:24 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    I used a hammer and a punch/chisel to crimp my terminals. Then throw some heat shrink over it.

3. May 27, 2014 at 12:31 PM
    SMKYTXN

SMKYTXN If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
  4. May 27, 2014 at 12:33 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    This is what I use, I acquired it from my last job and it came with a whole crimping kit.

5. May 27, 2014 at 1:11 PM
    eazyrider711

eazyrider711 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Northern, CO
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB T|X Baja
    Awesome, I'm glad that one has worked out. That's a good price, imo, and justifiable. Thanks guys for all the info.

6. May 30, 2014 at 7:56 AM
    Pepe98

Pepe98 Love moding vehicles as hobby

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    SR5 that's begging for mods
    1st Update: 500 miles Rugged Ridges Matts, Dimming rear view mirror with comp/temp, AeroForce Tech Interceptor Gauge, Aeries Professional Bull and Nerf bars, LED Lighting complete in-Cab, LED DRLs, AMP Bed Xtendr, Extang Trifecta Signature Series Tonneau, Rigid Ind LED Lighting 30" E and 20" SR series, Rigid LED Grill insert, Katskinz Leather Interior, Custom 100amp Electrical Sub Panel x2 (Engine bay and Interior), custom vinyl bed side, interior accent lighting galore (Oznium), OTTRAW, switches, under hood lighting, Red Line Elite hood struts, Power Pop-n-Lock, Under Bed Rail Lighting (switched), Custom Tinting... More to come
    I have been using this one for some time with a little sledge. Like the look of teh $50 one and if I had it today I would go that route. Also been using Solder slugs or Fusion lugs now. Check them out. Fusion. Watch the YouTube video on them. I love DelCity. I have also just bought the color coded slugs and used lugs that I had on hand or bought locally.

7. Jun 14, 2014 at 7:02 PM
    fergsonfire

fergsonfire Electrical Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR BBP
    Don't crimp them, solder them

8. Jun 14, 2014 at 7:06 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    This is terrible advice. I am a state licensed electrician and work 99% in an industrial environment and there is a reason we crimp instead of solder. Soldering wiring together will fail eventually due to vibrations and whatnot. A correctly crimped connection won't break under stress.

9. Jul 1, 2014 at 10:18 AM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    Exact same thing for me - same crimper with same little sledge. $15 is a lot cheaper than $50 but that one does look nice and I'd go for it. The $15 tool crimps by pounding a smaller point into the terminal end. Seems to work well but the more expensive tool makes a cooler looking crimp.

10. Jul 1, 2014 at 10:25 AM
    wrmathis

wrmathis Dark Lord of the Sith

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bonaire, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    parts and stuff
    agree

i always laugh at the solder everything. i work on a 30 million dollar helicopter and we hardly ever solder. use crimps 98% of the time. if a crimp works on an apache, it will work on my 30k truck

Products Discussed in

To Top