1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What did you do after High-school?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by HSmith_11, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Nov 26, 2017 at 8:00 PM
    Diablo169

Diablo169 ROKRAPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    99’ Bro-Coma’s Revenge 3RZ 345k+
    Stock
    Went to community college and played beach volleyball at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and banged every hot blond I could find. Meanwhile, I noticed 40 year olds were doing the same thing. So I need to get my shit together so that when I'm 40 I can come around full circle.

Live life to the fullest bro.

2. Nov 26, 2017 at 9:44 PM
    markmizzou

markmizzou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    17 SR5 V6 4x4 AC AT tow pkg. Blue as they come
    A back step for when I get older, Carhartt seatcovers, 4Runner wheels, Topper, and "tats all folks"! --for now!!
    Went to Mo. Univ. -- majored in partying -- did well for 4 semesters -- decided to sit out --oops Viet Nam is going on --joined USAF --electronics schools --got married --later went back to school-- BS and MA-- now retired Network tech-- retired

vssman likes this.
  3. Nov 26, 2017 at 9:48 PM
    BadlandsTACO

BadlandsTACO Captain Quarantine

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DCSB
    Done: TRD Pro Skid, TRD Pro Grille Insert, Husky X-Act Liners, Clazzio Seat Covers, UNI Filter Mod, 2nd Gen TRD Pro Suspension, Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 17" SCS SR8 (Gunmetal), Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/70/17, Amber Morimoto XB LED Fogs.
    Peaked, and immediately started my descent into being a square.

4. Nov 27, 2017 at 10:02 AM
    rtzx9r

rtzx9r Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bueller
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport
    LS1 swap with nitros.
    Went from high school to community college for 1.5 years (lower tuition costs), then transferred to University of Akron. Got my BS in Biomedical Engineering and now design, develop, and commercialize dental implants for a major dental company. 15 years in the business...

If you are planning for dentistry, do you plan on specializing in something such as OMS, Perio, Endo, etc?

As an aside, you may also look to do this in the service... I know a retired army commander who was in the service for some 20 years and got the education for free and served all over the world as an Oral Surgeon. Sounds pretty good to me...

5. Nov 27, 2017 at 10:13 AM
    HSmith_11

HSmith_11 [OP] Tacoma Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Madison, Va
    Vehicle:
    2001 Ext Cab SR5 4x4 MT
    5100/OME 881s 1.5" Progressive AAL 33x12.50X15 KO2s
    I honestly have no idea what OMS, Perio, etc. is.

6. Nov 27, 2017 at 11:14 AM
    mtbjohn42

mtbjohn42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Laporte, CO
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Sequoia
    What I thought I wanted for a career after graduating high school was not what I thought I wanted after graduating college, was not what I ended up doing for a career. You will change so much in these next few years, just dont lock yourself down into any hard plans. Make mistakes and learn from them, keep an open mind, and just be curious is my advice.

7. Nov 27, 2017 at 11:18 AM
    Tacoaric

Tacoaric Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    King Ranch F250 Powerstroke
    College. Wish I wouldn’t have ever left lol. Graduated and got out in 4 university of north Texas

8. Nov 27, 2017 at 11:48 AM
    GreekPEguy

GreekPEguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2002 Prerunner, 3.4 TRD OR
    Saved money my senior year and took a year off after graduating and did some took a road trip for Ca to Tx, Co, SD, Oregon. Came back after a few months and worked a lot of different part time jobs. Went to the local community college for 2.5 years to get my general ed done and to see what i'm interested in. Always loved athletics and moving, so I went the educational route and became a PE teacher. And I love it!
    I teach elementary PE and get to run around and act like a 7 year old all day. You get all the perks of being a teacher without all the paperwork. Basically I get to be the fun teacher!

9. Nov 27, 2017 at 11:52 AM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Keep on keeping on!

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bourbon state
    I went into the Air Force two weeks out of high school...didnt have a clue I'd spend 20yrs...Looking back I think I would have liked to do other things but It was still a fun adventure.

10. Nov 27, 2017 at 12:11 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    If you have any interest in joining the military, do it. I wish I had in hindsight. I went to community college for a couple years, transferred to a school to pursue a degree in photography and ended up transferring to another school to finish the degree (BFA in photo/digital imaging). Was incredibly expensive and had it not been for the help I received financially, I'd be in a bottomless hole of debt for the rest of my life. I have friends that are and will be, it's depressing. I ended up with about $30k in loans I'm paying off monthly, got about half that left to go. Not bad considering what it could have been.

I was fortunate that I've been able to make it work for me career-wise, had a solid freelancing gig going for several years after graduation and now work full-time in house for a company (doing photo/imaging work). But I look back on my late teens/early 20's and wish I had chosen to go into the military straight out of school for a few years first. I feel like it would have set me up for more long term success than I'm looking at right now; about to turn 33 and looking at new career options that will be more supportive in the long run for me. I want to get the f*&@! out of California and my current career doesn't make that a very viable option.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  11. Nov 27, 2017 at 12:14 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    Graduated high school at 15, screwed around for a year and then went to college for 2 semesters, took general ed and auto classes those 2 semesters and then moved 2k miles away, worked at a Ford dealer for a few months and then went back to college, graduated with an associates degree in Welding and Cutting technology.
    Currently Co-owner/operator of an equipment business with my dad and a rural mail carrier, I would like to keep both current jobs and become a part time deputy at the local SO as well.

markmizzou and wilcam47 like this.
  12. Nov 27, 2017 at 12:19 PM
    Oreo Cat

Oreo Cat Worst Member

Member:
    I graduated this year, becoming a pharmacy tech for now

13. Nov 27, 2017 at 12:28 PM
    Whale 638

Whale 638 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 DC Long bed 4x4 SR5
    I graduated HS in May of 89. Left for navy boot camp in August. I went into the Naval Nuclear Power program and became a nuclear electrician. My initial enlistment was six years due to the length of the school. I got out after six years and started off in semi conductor manufacturing. After a few years of that I became an operator at a commercial nuclear power plant. I am now a control center supervisor for a large utility. I joined the military because I didn't have the money for school. It was the best decision I could have made. I have had a variety of great jobs in different industries. All using the education and skills I received in the Navy. I never went back to college. I can't imagine being 22 years old with $150,000 in debt.

Lawfarin and LMarshall73 like this.
  14. Nov 27, 2017 at 12:33 PM
    LMarshall73

LMarshall73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Cocoa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport
    Did a year in community college. Most of my instructors were underemployed architects and engineers. The school dropped my course of study a year in, so I looked to the military. Got disqualified during MEPS due to being born blind in one eye (they would have let me slide if I agreed to take a Military Intelligence MOS, I was hardheaded and demanded infantry). I never went back to school, but bounced around a few different jobs ranging from screen printing to asset protection/site security to non-emergency transport. In the meantime, I volunteered with the fire department and planned to take that career path. I started working at a blood plasma center in 1996 then burned my lungs up pretty bad during the wildfires here in 1998, so that tossed my fire service plans down the tubes. I'm still working in the plasma industry, though I've had a few detours into non-profit blood banking, construction, and working for a sports bar, Harley-Davidson, and NASCAR along the way. I'm on a path to (hopefully) be a VP in the next 2-3 years and plan to retire from the company I'm with now.

I guess the bottom line is, if your dreams require college, go for it, but also know that with the right drive, dedication, and work ethic, you can make things happen without a piece of paper on the wall.

Tacosail likes this.
  15. Nov 27, 2017 at 12:58 PM
    Exracer2

Exracer2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colchester Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road Alpine White ACLB
    BRO grille, KICKER speakers, Key amp, Hideaway sub
    My only advice is this:

Set a list of goals.
    Wake up everyday and ask yourself what you can do to achieve those goals.

Keep your eye on the prize while goofing off and enjoying life. Remember we work to live we don’t live to work. Just make sure you don’t waste year after year living the dream only to wake up one day and realize you have not achieved a single goal. As long as you keep focused you will be still able to be young and have fun.

I have had a ton of fun in life. I didn’t get as far on some goals during my younger days but at 45 I have achieved many of my bucket list items. While others are doing a mid life crisis and looking to do the things they missed I am deciding how to do it the second time through now that I can financially do it better. I went back to motorcycle road racing last year. I have nothing to prove anyone, I already held lap records and beat future super bike champions so now I am just out to play and laugh. I have been around the world working in the second and third world by the time I was 26. I have owned my own company. My wife or I can lose our job tomorrow and not worry about bills because we have never run up debt or become house or vehicle poor. One income and we can survive. I am in a trade in demand and can quit on Monday and if I am motivated I will have a job next Monday or else just take some time to myself.

Just keep those goals in the back of your head everyday. Be ready to change direction anytime your current path isn’t leading to your goals. If you do it right you will do it all and have a blast the whole way. It’s all about balance. Never allow your current job or whatever to dictate what your life will become, always make sure you are driving your destiny.

Tacosail and LMarshall73 like this.
  16. Nov 27, 2017 at 1:32 PM
    Hextall

Hextall Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    17 Inferno OR DCSB
    I went right into college from high school (Union College). My parents considered going to college non-negotiable (my father had been in the army, and it never came up as an option)... although when my sister started a couple of years after me, she dropped/failed out of a couple of schools. She was not ready. Make sure you're ready, because it's not cheap.

My wife worked at West Point for a few years, and I came to regret not even thinking about applying to one of the service academies. If you're realistically thinking of chemistry at one of those schools you listed, have you thought about the service academies?

When I showed up at college, I called myself a pre-med student (my dad was a doctor, and seemingly like you wanted to follow his path), and believed that right up until I took organic chemistry (the Great Pre-med Filter). I graduated with a biology degree, worked in Alaska for a while (counting fish on the commercial fishing boats, got kicked out of the Elbow Room for a bullshit reason... damn them), then came back east and got my masters in environmental engineering. Plans change and that's ok.

Here's some advice:
    - When you get to college, go to the library every single day. Even if it's to read a magazine (at the time I was there... when I got Spy Magazine in the mail, I would pretty much sprint to the library to read it so I could say I did my library time for the day.. greatest day of the month... ha). This gets in the habit of setting aside some time to do your work.
    - Go to every single class, even if blinded by a hangover. Do the math... figure out the tuition and how much each class costs, don't waste that.
    - For the first couple of years, try to find a professor that you really respect and like and see if you can get in and do some research with him/her either as a senior or during the summer. It's really rewarding.
    - I had a college friend who had the Navy pay for his dental school and he served for a few years afterwards. He was not ROTC or anything like that while an undergrad, this happened all right after graduating from college. Maybe something to think about?
    - Unless chemistry is a passion, consider a minor in chemistry rather than majoring in it. You could always major in chemistry for the first year or two, and then talk to folks at your school that help guide students into applying for dental school to see if a science major is mandatory. A science major isn't necessary for getting into medical/dental school.

17. Nov 28, 2017 at 11:19 AM
    Roody

Roody Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    SW CT
    Vehicle:
    GX460
    I graduated from SUNY New Paltz in 4 years with a double-major in Marketing and Management and a minor in Geology. I won't dive into the aforementioned "do's and don't's" listed above, but I will offer one piece of advice quick: unless you're getting a scholarship to a private school, go to a state school or one that's directly in, or below, your budget. So many of my friends are still in serious debt (most of us are 5 years out of school) and regret taking their guidance counselor's advice on the whole "go to the best school you can thing," when we've found that it really comes to *what* you do while in college, what opportunities/internships and so on you seek out, rather than just the name on the degree. Obviously there's more to it than this (and the "big name" schools can present more opportunities), but having a good work ethic, making the effort to meet people and taking advantage of opportunities is what matters most (in my opinion at least).

18. Nov 28, 2017 at 6:10 PM
    sjwhitaker

sjwhitaker Today Was A Good Day.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Berea, KY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Offroad 6MT - Icon Stage 2 - 285/75/16 Falken AT3W
    I wish I had worked building homes for a bit. It interests the hell out of me and I'd love to get some hands on experience. I've thought about finding a builder and asking to do a apprenticeship on my days off.

19. Jan 15, 2018 at 8:15 PM
    nindark

nindark Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    Straight to Air Force basic training.... Missed my high school graduation! Best decision I ever made.

wilcam47 likes this.
  20. Jan 15, 2018 at 8:33 PM
    kbUSMC2012

kbUSMC2012 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Went to college, then commissioned in the Marine Corps. Best choice I have ever made.

wilcam47 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top