1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What Have You Done To Your 2nd Gen Tacoma Today?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kwalton, Feb 2, 2008.

1. May 5, 2020 at 6:19 PM
    gkomo

gkomo Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM AC SR5 4x4
    Alllllright. Well, my dumbass must've just missed that they did provide the screws for the letters so that was a nice surprise. My thoughts on the ProooAuto knock off TRD Pro grill. Worth it? Yes, totally! It looks fantistic IMO. Flawless? Far from it... ha ha. Things I had to do to get the grill to work:

- Two of the star bit screws from the original grill did not have holes drilled in the ProooAuto grill so I had to drill them out
    - One main tab from the grill surround did not have a slot in the ProooAuto grill so I had to Dremel out a slot so it would fit through. I didn't do a good enough Dremel job to make it work as an actual tab but at least it went through
    - The "T" on the grills screw hole wasn't drilled through so I had to drill it out to get the screw on
    - One of the plastic push screws hole wasn't drilled through so I had to drill that out

Before:

IMG_2054.jpg

After:

IMG_2056.jpg

A little closer-up view of the grill itself:

IMG_2057.jpg

* I adjusted the letters so they all look straight after I took the photo
    ** Don't mind my wifes dirty ass car she hasn't driven it in literally over two months since this stay-at-home stuff has started.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  2. May 5, 2020 at 6:22 PM
    magneticwhite88

magneticwhite88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    OC, CA
    Vehicle:
    15' MGM Trd Off-Road
    No need to justify, I'm a powder coater so I like seeing people get their stuff coated is all

3. May 5, 2020 at 6:22 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    Small thing, but installed a cheap front and rear dashcam for a bit of extra insurance. The rear one just clears my bed bars and basket.
    20200505_201951.jpg
    20200504_173654.jpg
    20200504_174124.jpg

4. May 5, 2020 at 6:24 PM
    magneticwhite88

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    OC, CA
    Vehicle:
    15' MGM Trd Off-Road
    Should've spent the money at a quality shop. I've had my bumper coated for 5 years and still looks brand new. It's all in the prep

Asianguywithatruk and GonzoQuick like this.
  5. May 5, 2020 at 6:26 PM
    magneticwhite88

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    OC, CA
    Vehicle:
    15' MGM Trd Off-Road
    Shitty powder coat jobs are just as common as shitty paint jobs, has nothing to do with the coating and everything to do with prep and application.

Edit: Not going to do the math but I paid $250 over 5 years ago and haven't had to spend a dime on touch ups so IMO it's well worth it

JKU3000 likes this.
  6. May 5, 2020 at 6:34 PM
    orezona

orezona title unspecified

Member:
    satan's skillet
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD OR DCSB OMGWTFBBQ TL;DR
    WARRANTY VOIDED
    That mod is worth EVERY PENNY.

I got hit last year and it was 100% because of the dash cam footage I got my insurance settlement the same day I submitted it. No question at all the lady failed to yield and bashed into the rear driver's wheel and fender.

I feel naked without a dashcam now. Even if I have a rental, I have one of those rear view mirror types that I put in because people are fucking IDIOTS and I don't trust them.

I do need to get a rear mounted one, though. Would be nice to have one to use as a back up cam, actually.

7. May 5, 2020 at 6:39 PM
    deekyn

deekyn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Land of Enchantment
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tacoma TRD Off Road
    :thumbsup:

Not like I chose a shitty shop on purpose. Looked online. Looked at reviews. Called around. I was new to town. Took a chance and it didn’t work.

8. May 5, 2020 at 6:49 PM
    Xx Ares xX

Xx Ares xX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver Tacoma TRD SPORT, PRERUNNER, SR5, DC
    Sorry Dude, I don't know what to tell you. It's a very popular mod. Mine is staying just fine. You can try cleaning the surface with alcohol before you attach the Velcro.

theolee likes this.
  9. May 5, 2020 at 6:50 PM
    magneticwhite88

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    OC, CA
    Vehicle:
    15' MGM Trd Off-Road
    I hear ya, quality work is few and far between nowadays. As someone that takes pride in delivering the best quality possible it sucks seeing what I do get a bad rep because of someone else's neglect.

Judging by how severe it is, the coating will probably be flaking off in the next six months. I would definitely go back ASAP and see if they give a damn about their reputation and customers. If it was my shop we would chemical strip, sandblast, primer, and reshoot the top coat all for free because thats pretty unacceptable

icky crane likes this.
  10. May 5, 2020 at 6:51 PM
    gotoman1969

gotoman1969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Antonio, TX United States
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Tacoma PreRunner
    3" ToyTec coilovers, JBA UCA's, Bilstein 5100's
    Got quarantine bored so I had an extra grill emblem and blacked it out. 975B858F-1E62-4239-A166-0612CF4163E4.jpg

BizzyB726 and irayfz6 like this.
  11. May 5, 2020 at 7:01 PM
    theolee

theolee www.nickleecreations.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Theo
    SAN DIEGO
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 Tacoma SR5 Pre-Runner AC 4.0
    Rad truck!

12. May 5, 2020 at 7:04 PM
    20somethingwidataco

20somethingwidataco Yes, my avatar is a real car.

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    ACLB 6 SPEED: Suspension: Bilstein 6112s (3rd perch) (F) Taco Lean Spacer Bilstein 5160s (R) TSB Leaf Pack Wheelers Offroad 3 leaf progressive AAL Wheelers Superbump Front Duro Bump U bolt flip kit Duro Bump progressive bump stop 3rd gen TRD offroad sway bar Wheels and Tires: Summit Racing Wheel Dakars (Polished Silver) 285/70r/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrax (Load D) "Performance": AFE CAI with custom powdercoated white filter cover MagnaFlow Performance Series Exhaust URD Cam gears XTP Intake Manifold Spacer OTT Torque Tune Brakes: Stoptech Slotted Rotors TRD ceramic pads Wheelers offroad SS brakelines (Front) Interior: Kenwood DD headunit Oem Subaru Kicker Tweeters Alpine 6x9 (Front) & 6.5 (rear) (With Taco tunes speaker mounts) Alpine 500 watt amp Sound Deadening (Doors, Rear "wall", Roof) ODI Rouge Shift Knob Weather Tech Mats Painted/wrapped trim pieces Console Safe Console Vault Gridx Organizer Ram Phone Mount Meso Customs dual color map lights Meso Customs dual color dome light Wet Okole seat covers (Black) Wet Okole center console cover (Black) 1" Seat Raisers (Driver & Passenger) AJT Designs climate control and 4x4 knobs Back Up Camera Lighting: Retrofits (Mini H1's, RGB Halos, 5500k Bulbs)(Lenses wrapped in self healing PPF) Diode Dynamics SS3 Max SAE (Yellow) Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro (Yellow) Driving lights Anytime fog mod Rigid Industries E series 32" Combo bar (spot/flood) Diode Dynamics XPR Reverse Lights Diode Dynamics XP80 turn signals LED brake, parking lights and license plate lights Armor: Apex All Pro sliders BPF steel skid plate Bigass Trailer Hitch Camping/Storage: Leer canopy LED interior lighting Sleeping platform (Storage underneath) Removable snowboard Yakima mounts Extra D rings in bed (6 total) Custom Powder coated white snow shovel with custom bedrail mounts Amazon special Traction Boards Hi Lift 48" Jack with custom Rail mounts to accommodate my sleeper set up Other: All pro Bed Stiffeners Relentless Fab tailgate panel TRD sport graphics (Turd Gen spec) Anti Sun glare hood scoop wrap (Satin Black) Custom FleeBay grille 4 Hella supertones ECGS needle bearing 4 patches (for now) BPF shackle mount (With smittybuilt shackle) Tinted windows (Front/Rear + Full canopy)(18%) Meso Customs gasshole AVS inchannel window visors Diff Breather Kit 2012-2015 Oem Turn signal/folding mirrors (w/ sequential signals) 2012-2015 Oem LED taillights Full Size (285/70r17) spare DIY Larger Engine Splash Guards DIY Vipercut
    Yikes, looks like a combination of, not sand blasted enough, or not heat treated long enough. Everything I've powdercoated myself looks new still. Besides my girlfriends lug nuts, but that's for obvious reasons.

TwistedTLM4 likes this.
  13. May 5, 2020 at 7:12 PM
    deekyn

deekyn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Land of Enchantment
    Vehicle:
    Must be some joke to be had about powder coating your girlfriends lugnuts in there somewhere :D

I took them a newly made clean steel bumper. Don’t know what they did or didn’t do. Except fuck it up.

14. May 5, 2020 at 7:20 PM
    TegoTaco

TegoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tacoma DCLB TRD SPORT
    Thanks man! Diode Dynamics SS3 PRO’s, I love them, best money spent. :D

TacoTyusday[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. May 5, 2020 at 7:21 PM
    20somethingwidataco

20somethingwidataco Yes, my avatar is a real car.

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    ACLB 6 SPEED: Suspension: Bilstein 6112s (3rd perch) (F) Taco Lean Spacer Bilstein 5160s (R) TSB Leaf Pack Wheelers Offroad 3 leaf progressive AAL Wheelers Superbump Front Duro Bump U bolt flip kit Duro Bump progressive bump stop 3rd gen TRD offroad sway bar Wheels and Tires: Summit Racing Wheel Dakars (Polished Silver) 285/70r/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrax (Load D) "Performance": AFE CAI with custom powdercoated white filter cover MagnaFlow Performance Series Exhaust URD Cam gears XTP Intake Manifold Spacer OTT Torque Tune Brakes: Stoptech Slotted Rotors TRD ceramic pads Wheelers offroad SS brakelines (Front) Interior: Kenwood DD headunit Oem Subaru Kicker Tweeters Alpine 6x9 (Front) & 6.5 (rear) (With Taco tunes speaker mounts) Alpine 500 watt amp Sound Deadening (Doors, Rear "wall", Roof) ODI Rouge Shift Knob Weather Tech Mats Painted/wrapped trim pieces Console Safe Console Vault Gridx Organizer Ram Phone Mount Meso Customs dual color map lights Meso Customs dual color dome light Wet Okole seat covers (Black) Wet Okole center console cover (Black) 1" Seat Raisers (Driver & Passenger) AJT Designs climate control and 4x4 knobs Back Up Camera Lighting: Retrofits (Mini H1's, RGB Halos, 5500k Bulbs)(Lenses wrapped in self healing PPF) Diode Dynamics SS3 Max SAE (Yellow) Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro (Yellow) Driving lights Anytime fog mod Rigid Industries E series 32" Combo bar (spot/flood) Diode Dynamics XPR Reverse Lights Diode Dynamics XP80 turn signals LED brake, parking lights and license plate lights Armor: Apex All Pro sliders BPF steel skid plate Bigass Trailer Hitch Camping/Storage: Leer canopy LED interior lighting Sleeping platform (Storage underneath) Removable snowboard Yakima mounts Extra D rings in bed (6 total) Custom Powder coated white snow shovel with custom bedrail mounts Amazon special Traction Boards Hi Lift 48" Jack with custom Rail mounts to accommodate my sleeper set up Other: All pro Bed Stiffeners Relentless Fab tailgate panel TRD sport graphics (Turd Gen spec) Anti Sun glare hood scoop wrap (Satin Black) Custom FleeBay grille 4 Hella supertones ECGS needle bearing 4 patches (for now) BPF shackle mount (With smittybuilt shackle) Tinted windows (Front/Rear + Full canopy)(18%) Meso Customs gasshole AVS inchannel window visors Diff Breather Kit 2012-2015 Oem Turn signal/folding mirrors (w/ sequential signals) 2012-2015 Oem LED taillights Full Size (285/70r17) spare DIY Larger Engine Splash Guards DIY Vipercut
    Not really a joke, but right after I powdercoated them, she got new tires, had a cab mount chop done, and a lift put on. Each time we had to take the tires off, and the lug nuts got slightly marked up

BrashBrusier likes this.
  16. May 5, 2020 at 7:22 PM
    deekyn

deekyn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Land of Enchantment
    Vehicle:
    I was just being a smart ass. My powder coated lug nuts from SCS are rusted to hell. God I hate the Midwest.

17. May 5, 2020 at 7:30 PM
    Xx Ares xX

Xx Ares xX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver Tacoma TRD SPORT, PRERUNNER, SR5, DC
    In all your frustration, I hope you remember to take that rag out of your exhaust manifold... o_O :rofl:

18. May 5, 2020 at 7:41 PM
    Evergreen_Offroad

Evergreen_Offroad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD Offroad Access Cab
    35s, armor, mid travel etc.
    Started relocating rear shocks to fit these 12in travel fox's

IMG_9182.jpg

19. May 5, 2020 at 8:04 PM