1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What Have You Done To Your 2nd Gen Tacoma Today?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kwalton, Feb 2, 2008.

1. May 18, 2020 at 2:56 AM
    Beach Ghost

Beach Ghost Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    265/75/16 Falken Wild peak AT Tinted windows Rear differentel breather mod Bilstein 5100 rear LCE Header AFE Dry Filter Master Flow super 44 Air pump filter mod Intermittent wipers Hertz 6 1/2 front speakers TRD shift knob Curt rear trailer hitch Trailer wiring kit Front steel Shackle plate Warn shackles front and rear Neoprene seat covers
    anyone know what this Harness/connector behind the drivers side Headlight?image.jpgimage.jpg

TomTwo and Sasquatchtaco like this.
  2. May 18, 2020 at 4:59 AM
    Volken

Volken Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Silver PreRunner Tacoma
    Bull bar w/led light bar
    So judging by all the responses, I’m led to believe that my headlights are actually not as bright as they were before, SO bright that I’m now “that guy,” and I should feel guilty for even owning a truck for the sake of everyone in a smaller vehicle (I came from driving four consecutive 4cyl sedans before my truck so I’m very aware of headlight positioning.) Getting truck shamed on a truck forum is a new one for me.

3. May 18, 2020 at 5:06 AM
    kidsmoke

kidsmoke Well-Known Member

Member:
    Flyover Country
    Vehicle:
    '13 BR AC SR5 4x4 AT
    I get that, but take a sec. Part of the benefit of the forum is the shared knowledge. And this knowledge exists cuz other folks had the same desire you did, and learned some good info as a result. It's all good. Be excited about the truck. Everybody here is gives a little and gets a little grief. If somebody does just want to be a straight up a**hole, which is rare, things will sort themselves out.

Welcome to the fray!

4. May 18, 2020 at 5:17 AM
    kidsmoke

Member:
    Flyover Country
    Vehicle:
    '13 BR AC SR5 4x4 AT
    Planning a 2200 mile solo road trip (with the dog), so that kicked me into gear on a couple of improvements. Got rid of the very disappointing stock sound system. Did anybody else know that 2.5 gen AC's came with an amp behind the jump seat? You'd never know it.

New Head unit, door speakers, amp to drive the doors, and a powered sub. Lot's of sound for this small space.

upload_2020-5-18_8-9-41.jpg

head unit
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DMX905S/Kenwood-Excelon-DMX905S.html
    amp
    https://www.sonicelectronix.com/ite...dDAYGSEMJlXbyLqnjOD1aMzbsYCR1K8RoC3CwQAvD_BwE
    speakers
    http://store.12velectronics.com/unity-u61-2v2-6-5-2-way-component-speaker-system/
    Sub
    https://www.crutchfield.com/S-VXXZ0Yp1BPp/p_777B8PTD/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PTD.html

Metra RR harness with OBD to the head unit.

The Sub gets the job done, but I may yet make a change here. It'll cover my needs for the trip for sure.

The other need was that I'm trailering a small boat on the front half of the journey (1100 miles). Being solo, you can't mess around being drowsy. Any lane drift/correction BS could get you killed pretty quick. So I want to be able to get solid shut eye if the need arises. Came across a NOS blowout locally on a Bestop Supertop. Schwinnnggg....

gonna throw a deck back there with a Klymit pad. The GF is even making curtains. I'm a modular type of dude, and this thing'll pop off in a couple of minutes as most of you know. If i was paying full retail, I probably would've gone Softopper, but I got a sweet deal, and I don't expect to run this but maybe 20% of the time.

upload_2020-5-18_8-17-1.jpg

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  5. May 18, 2020 at 5:22 AM
    Beauxdon

Beauxdon TTC #289

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Houston, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport DCSB
    Nice set up. What made you go with Unity speakers vs just a set from crutchfield?

6. May 18, 2020 at 5:29 AM
    kidsmoke

Member:
    Flyover Country
    Vehicle:
    '13 BR AC SR5 4x4 AT
    disclaimer: NOT a car audio expert. But a hack musician/live sound guy so I know a little and need a lot of sound.

Actually bought the HU and speakers off a TW member. But the speakers made the deal a go. They're high quality and came with custom MR. Marv baffles. Driven by a good amp, these little guys more than fill the truck and I didn't have to find places to cram lots of gear.

specs (second column)
    upload_2020-5-18_8-28-9.jpg

upload_2020-5-18_8-29-47.jpg

Edit to add, any audio geeks that want to recommend a 10" sub that will pair well with that amp (bridged/.96 cu ft box) feel free!

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    Grumpy, irayfz6 and Beauxdon like this.
  7. May 18, 2020 at 5:32 AM
    elricfate

elricfate Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma AC Silver Mica

Not all of us feel the same way about LED technology, there are notable exceptions to be made. Lots of people have formed their own opinions by using the argument that the reflector is not a projector, and that LEDs are unidirectional whereas filaments are omnidirectional, also true. But that isn't the end all, it's just the ideas formed at that particular time. LED technology has an accelerated development cycle to compete with OEMs using LED designed housings. Some manufacturers are already there. But when you pay $30 for a set of LED bulbs, you're going to get real shitty performance. Expense doesn't equate to usage, either, but generally speaking the lower the dollar amount the more generic the source.

Rick_Taco likes this.
  8. May 18, 2020 at 5:36 AM
    VA_Taco

VA_Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chino
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4
    6" w/35's
    If the truck didn't come with factory fog lights, that connector is usually for that. From what I found on a previous Nissan Sentra my wife had. I bought OE Style foglights and the connector clipped right in.

9. May 18, 2020 at 5:37 AM
    Volken

Volken Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bull bar w/led light bar
    I bought the Cougar Motor H4. I read the reviews that were nothing but glowing, pardon the pun.

WyldeRayne06 likes this.
  10. May 18, 2020 at 5:38 AM
    elricfate

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The biggest thing is making sure your bulbs have a cutoff shield. It's there to give you a crisp line where the LED should not "glare" into oncoming traffic. If it's missing from those, return them and get something else, otherwise you ARE being 'that guy' - and no one likes that guy.

11. May 18, 2020 at 5:43 AM
    Volken

Volken Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bull bar w/led light bar
    EF6E8C8D-7A01-47DA-8A25-03B691BEFEB3.jpg

EricOutside likes this.
  12. May 18, 2020 at 5:49 AM
    elricfate

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That's already better than the majority of users. When you get them in, go find a wall and aim them. They will 100% point higher than a standard filament bulb because of the unidirectional emitters. Also good call on COB emitters (those look like COB, hard to tell because they're blurry) - the lifespan should be significantly better.

Volken[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. May 18, 2020 at 6:16 AM
    Gnarbuckle85

Gnarbuckle85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    H-Town, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DCLB Silver
    DON'T JOIN TACOMA WORLD!! JUST DON'T!
    Finally finished my Relay Fuse panel over the weekend. Installed last night and everything finally worked. Just got to clean a few things up and put in some new switches. Learned alot from this project but it was a PITA.

LamzTaco, Grumpy, BizzyB726 and 7 others like this.
  14. May 18, 2020 at 6:59 AM
    Joker56ace

Joker56ace Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Trd or , dcsb pyrite mica
    Where did you order a harness??

theolee[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. May 18, 2020 at 7:15 AM
    20somethingwidataco

20somethingwidataco Yes, my avatar is a real car.

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    ACLB 6 SPEED: Suspension: Bilstein 6112s (3rd perch) (F) Taco Lean Spacer Bilstein 5160s (R) TSB Leaf Pack Wheelers Offroad 3 leaf progressive AAL Wheelers Superbump Front Duro Bump U bolt flip kit Duro Bump progressive bump stop 3rd gen TRD offroad sway bar Wheels and Tires: Summit Racing Wheel Dakars (Polished Silver) 285/70r/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrax (Load D) "Performance": AFE CAI with custom powdercoated white filter cover MagnaFlow Performance Series Exhaust URD Cam gears XTP Intake Manifold Spacer OTT Torque Tune Brakes: Stoptech Slotted Rotors TRD ceramic pads Wheelers offroad SS brakelines (Front) Interior: Kenwood DD headunit Oem Subaru Kicker Tweeters Alpine 6x9 (Front) & 6.5 (rear) (With Taco tunes speaker mounts) Alpine 500 watt amp Sound Deadening (Doors, Rear "wall", Roof) ODI Rouge Shift Knob Weather Tech Mats Painted/wrapped trim pieces Console Safe Console Vault Gridx Organizer Ram Phone Mount Meso Customs dual color map lights Meso Customs dual color dome light Wet Okole seat covers (Black) Wet Okole center console cover (Black) 1" Seat Raisers (Driver & Passenger) AJT Designs climate control and 4x4 knobs Back Up Camera Lighting: Retrofits (Mini H1's, RGB Halos, 5500k Bulbs)(Lenses wrapped in self healing PPF) Diode Dynamics SS3 Max SAE (Yellow) Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro (Yellow) Driving lights Anytime fog mod Rigid Industries E series 32" Combo bar (spot/flood) Diode Dynamics XPR Reverse Lights Diode Dynamics XP80 turn signals LED brake, parking lights and license plate lights Armor: Apex All Pro sliders BPF steel skid plate Bigass Trailer Hitch Camping/Storage: Leer canopy LED interior lighting Sleeping platform (Storage underneath) Removable snowboard Yakima mounts Extra D rings in bed (6 total) Custom Powder coated white snow shovel with custom bedrail mounts Amazon special Traction Boards Hi Lift 48" Jack with custom Rail mounts to accommodate my sleeper set up Other: All pro Bed Stiffeners Relentless Fab tailgate panel TRD sport graphics (Turd Gen spec) Anti Sun glare hood scoop wrap (Satin Black) Custom FleeBay grille 4 Hella supertones ECGS needle bearing 4 patches (for now) BPF shackle mount (With smittybuilt shackle) Tinted windows (Front/Rear + Full canopy)(18%) Meso Customs gasshole AVS inchannel window visors Diff Breather Kit 2012-2015 Oem Turn signal/folding mirrors (w/ sequential signals) 2012-2015 Oem LED taillights Full Size (285/70r17) spare DIY Larger Engine Splash Guards DIY Vipercut
    No, just led headlight shamed.

Rick_Taco likes this.
  16. May 18, 2020 at 7:30 AM
    Volken

Volken Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bull bar w/led light bar
    Well that’s cute and all, but I drive 12 miles to work every morning during pre-dawn hours and 9 of them are backcountry roads with deer and the occasional loose cow or horse. I’ve adjusted my headlights down to proper level and had outside opinions from people that see me pulling into work tell me they’re not overbearing. I guess people just want something else to bitch about online, like there isn’t enough.

17. May 18, 2020 at 7:33 AM
    MickDog13

MickDog13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cortland NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 Speedway Blue TRD OR DCSB
    I just dislike people who never turn off their high beams, or have their headlights adjusted or modified in a way that impairs my safety.
    Nothing personal.

18. May 18, 2020 at 7:42 AM
    wmg

wmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2009 FJ
    BP-51 OEM LIFT..33;s...full skids....dual Batteries
    NICE work....funny but I find the PITA ones usually are the ones I learn the most from, anyway Nice job
    BTW ... dont know how long you have had the AGM's, but have you looked into the recharging requirements they have?..

DG92071 likes this.
  19. May 18, 2020 at 7:52 AM
    wmg

wmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2009 FJ
    BP-51 OEM LIFT..33;s...full skids....dual Batteries
    Yupper... interesting ..sometimes it just takes a gentle reminder from my light bar to encourage the HI beam folks....I used to live roughly 20 miles off a main road, all country setting and invested in a set of ARB lights , completely remote controlled from the headlight system, ran them until I got on the main ....never seemed to be an issue.....

20. May 18, 2020 at 8:01 AM
    lenoxluda

lenoxluda Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport
    Sick bro!! Which charger system is that?? I see the URD front mount!

Products Discussed in

To Top