1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What Have You Done To Your 2nd Gen Tacoma Today?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kwalton, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Feb 5, 2014 at 5:23 AM
    armyoffoo

armyoffoo Scrotie McBoogerballs

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra CM TRD Sport
    It's an adapter plate to install Oil temp and pressure sensors.

2. Feb 5, 2014 at 5:27 AM
    armyoffoo

armyoffoo Scrotie McBoogerballs

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra CM TRD Sport
    I installed a line out converter and a pair of amps last weekend. One 4-Channel amp and a 300W RMS Mono amp pushing a JL Audio 10w3v1.

Excuse the wiring, will be cleaning it up this weekend:

qe5m_9015d058fd30807866f7ac7b47bcfd79c55bf389.jpg

3. Feb 5, 2014 at 5:28 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    I don't understand the point?

How much amperage are you planning on running through those big ass wires? I'm an electrician / electronics technician by trade and it makes me scratch my head. That is a lot of work for no return IMO.

Not knocking you.I just do not understand the thought process. I could see running dedicated wiring for some huge ass stereo amplifier, but for the rest of the truck? Not needed.

4. Feb 5, 2014 at 5:35 AM
    Yotabilly

Yotabilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    2013 4cyl,5spd.4x4 Reg Cab
    UWS low profile toolbox, tint, rainguards, color matched grill surround 265/75r16 Goodyear Duratracs Ultra-Guage XB fogs, Weathertech Floor Liners, OME 884s, 2"AAL, Bilstein 5100s, FJ Trail Team wheels, Matt123 skid plate, 30" light bar, Rigid Duallys, Bed extender
    Are you using the converter for the stock HU? If so let me know if you get the low volume hiss. I've had my truck for six months and can't make up my mind to replace the HU( don't want to ) or not. I have a couple amps, a JL10w3v1 and a set of Audison VOCE from my last truck just sitting around waiting for me to make up my mind.
    You definitely won't have any power issues. lol

5. Feb 5, 2014 at 12:30 PM
    anarion55

anarion55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    S. Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner SR5
    ImMrYo's Mirror Mod, Stereo Upgrade - Power Pro 60x4 Amp/Kicker powered 8" sub/Pioneer component speakers, PassPort 8500 Radar Detector, Locking Bed Storage Cubbies, Onboard air system - Viair 450C compressor/16 gal. PVC tank/15 & 16" horns, quick-d/c air chuck in bed cubby 24" LED light Bar (mounted to skidplate)A Headlights, foglights interior lights and backup lights all converted to LED (HUGE difference)
    I probably missed it, but why?

6. Feb 5, 2014 at 12:37 PM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wires have a natural resistance which causes a voltage drop down the line. The bigger the wire the smaller the resistance the smaller the voltage drop (ie the more current it can carry). It's typically done when running high power things like winches and high end sound systems.

Say his amplifiers are seeing 11V during hard bass hits. Well now (assuming the alternator can keep up) they will see 12V or more which in turn means harder cleaner hits. (I just made up numbers as an example).

This works well for winches too. More power to the winch will mean faster/stronger pulls (though the gains may not be noticeable). It will also be safer since resistance creates heat. Too small of wires can get hot and melt in extreme cases.

7. Feb 5, 2014 at 1:10 PM
    anarion55

anarion55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    S. Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner SR5
    ImMrYo's Mirror Mod, Stereo Upgrade - Power Pro 60x4 Amp/Kicker powered 8" sub/Pioneer component speakers, PassPort 8500 Radar Detector, Locking Bed Storage Cubbies, Onboard air system - Viair 450C compressor/16 gal. PVC tank/15 & 16" horns, quick-d/c air chuck in bed cubby 24" LED light Bar (mounted to skidplate)A Headlights, foglights interior lights and backup lights all converted to LED (HUGE difference)
    What these guys did is, in my opinion, exactly what MAKES 4-wheeling fun & challenging... improvising, and overcoming the problems. And they did almost everything correctly to recover the stuck truck (not counting the rollover, of course). The only thing I'd have done differently is, the truck doing the snatching should have clutched/gotten off the throttle as soon as the strap went taut; that would have kept him from digging in.

I learned that one night, stuck in a peat bog, with 7 other trucks at 1 in the AM. We'd had a cookout - chicken roasted on an old refrigerator grate over an open fire, doused in white wine... some genius suggested we hit a trail on the way out...I was the last truck in line, and the only one unstuck by the time I got to the peat bog...('81 Short-bed 4x4 Toyota pickup with the 2.2 I4 engine/5-speed manual; 33x12.5" mudders; no lockers or winch). I was snatching a Ford F150 that was nose-down, up to his wipers, the nearest to me. I had about 8 snatches on him, and was making definite progress, angling each of my snatches differently so I wouldn't dig in (like the guy in the vid), but each time, the damned strap kept pulling me back into the same ruts, so eventually, we had two trucks "on a string"... lots of tension on that 3x30' strap...enough to tight-rope walk on (and we did... there was some beer involved, I won't lie :) ). I couldn't back up to take tension off (mud piled up behind my tires; couldn't go forward - strapped to a still-stuck F150). Finally one smart-ass suggested that we just "pick up the Toy truck, and set it on solid ground". We all looked at him... then at the truck... then at him. 10 guys lifted on the front Smittybuilt, and 8 on the rear, and we dragged/lifted my Toy out of the ruts. Several more snatches got the Ford out. He snatched out a K5 Bronco, who snatched out a CJ5, etc. It was 4 AM when we were all unstuck (and by then, sober... beer ran out hours earlier. But that was, in retrospect, one of the most fun nights of wheeling I can recall...and no one ever said anything negative about Toyota trucks after that night, LOL.

I fully understand about line loss (been in the electronics industry for about 35 years); I was just wondering what he was powering off those wires.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  8. Feb 5, 2014 at 1:16 PM
    Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Go Pokes!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM DCSB OR 4x4
    Clazzio leather seat covers, CBI T3 front, SOS sliders, SCS Ray10s, 285/75/16 Duratracs, debadged, extra bed D-ring tiedowns, Advantage TorzaTop, OEM bed mat, custom center console organizer, Husky liners, remote start.
    Changed my spark plugs

9. Feb 5, 2014 at 1:56 PM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Got ya. Looks like a couple amps, maybe a winch:notsure:

I have some 1/0 wiring laying around to do my Big 3 upgrade but it is basically to help run a winch, especially when I upgrade to a high output alternator and possibly a dual battery in the future.

10. Feb 5, 2014 at 2:10 PM
    SoCalTacos

SoCalTacos Turd runner

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Pro
    Led head/dtr lights.
    Be careful mounting that lc6i. I mounted mine near the subs and the vibrations caused a screw to come loose internally and would short the system. I'm running the JL stealthbox and the lc6i was mounted behind the rear drivers side seat... Too close apparently. Didn't do any damage but I had to open up the lc6i and put the screw back in place.

11. Feb 5, 2014 at 4:40 PM
    DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nature Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    '13 Access Cab 4x4 SR5
    I got my bed mat in the mail!! Sorry, too dark for pics.

Also ordered stuff to do a LED bed light mod.

12. Feb 5, 2014 at 4:43 PM
    sfcadams

sfcadams Retired Senior NCO

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Elizabeth, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road DCSB Prerunner Skeewped

More info on both of these mods? Where did you get the tail lights and how you did the LEDs..?

13. Feb 5, 2014 at 5:27 PM
    DirtJumper14

DirtJumper14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OR
    5100's, BDF grills and light bracket, big 3 upgrade, ATH bed braces, snugtop xtra vision shell, (bed, shell, hood, rock, front, rear, footwell, glove box, center console led lighting), MESO Gasshole, MESO dome and map lights, Flyeyez center console light, custom fuse panel, TRD CAI, toyota bed mat, 2013 black carpet, 2015 side mirrors, BedRug, AJT key fob, ultraguage, 8 cadillac horns acdf, pop n lock tailgate lock, energy suspension bushings, spicer greasable ujoints, Rigid lights everywhere, kenwood stereo, led tube taillights (red), 2018 T4R trail wheels, rokblok mud flaps, TRD skid plate, RCi gas tank skid plate
    Tail lights are Depo. Got them from eBay here,
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=271393222616
    Look way better than stock leds and are just as bright.

For the entry lights I purchased a 10ft length of 5050 flexible leds. Cut them into 2 3ft lengths. Used the remainder for glove box, center console, foot wells and back seat. Also a few switches to turn on the inside lights only as well as turn off the frame lights. I actually installed these in May of last year using 3M double sided tape (the grey stuff). I cleaned the frame where I wanted them and simply stuck them on there. I got the idea from another member but was skeptical it would stick. They survived a southern California summer and weekly washing and are still there. I ran power from the fuse panel and grounded them to the dome light. Can't remember the wire color but there are a few threads on this. Just don't know if wire color changes between model years or not. If I can find the thread i will post it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  14. Feb 5, 2014 at 5:35 PM
    Ricks2013

Ricks2013 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport DCSB
    A few things
    Installed new skid plate. What do you guys think, leave it silver or paint it black? I removed the badges off doors and tailgate and will probably paint them black so i'm kinda leaning towards black. The silver does looks cool though and kinda stands out.
    [​IMG]

15. Feb 5, 2014 at 5:51 PM
    DannyD

DannyD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCLB
    If your keeping your rims silver leave the skid plate the same.

Tour truck looks clean, that how I like it. You should leave the emblems off, or only put one on the Tailgate. One thing I want to do with my black truck is paint that lower front portion of the bumper right above the skid to match, would clean up the front end a lot. Especially with your grille

16. Feb 5, 2014 at 8:30 PM
    MaineBound

MaineBound Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Hill Country, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DC TRD Off Road
    Installed Undercover tonneau cover.

[​IMG]

17. Feb 5, 2014 at 8:51 PM
    timmytoast

timmytoast Card-Carrying Illuminati Member

Member:
    Prison City, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 4x4
    Black Plastiderp Front Emblem and Grille Surround, Relocated Horns, Bed Mat w/ bolt mod, Precision Fit seat covers, Anytime Fog Light Mod, Console and Glove Box Organizers, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, Pop N Lock Tailgate Latch, K B Voodoo Bed Brackets
    Leer bed shell with side access doors, oil change, front and rear diff fluid change, and tire rotation.

18. Feb 5, 2014 at 9:30 PM
    steveo27

steveo27 Ask me about my weiner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off Road & 1992 VW GLI
    The same shit everyone else has.
    Installed my TRD grille badge

[​IMG]

Not sure how I feel about the location, I may adjust it a bit.

19. Feb 6, 2014 at 1:17 AM
    wrecks

wrecks Member

Member:
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2k13 SR5
    Weathertech Floor Liners, Cover King Seatcovers, Tonno Pro Soft cover, De-Badged, Plasti-dipped Rims,
  20. Feb 6, 2014 at 4:01 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Is that the metal one off Amazon? If so, wax the shit out of it, or wipe salt off if exposed. I had the stick on version on my tailgate. I had to take it off because it was all corroded from salt. Looked awful and no way to restore it. Unless yours is a better quality. I was disappointed in mine. Just an FYI.

Products Discussed in

To Top