1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What Have You Done To Your 2nd Gen Tacoma Today?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kwalton, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Dec 6, 2019 at 7:13 AM
    jungleman

jungleman There can be only one

Member:
    North California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab Indigo Blue
    Couldnt be easier actually.

The only pita is the front drivers and only because its impossibly hard to unclip.
    An 1/8" more wire would have made it much MUCH easier.

Excellent write up here

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/how-to-spark-plug-change-1-gr-fe.30479/

Pass side w/intake or remove airbox is like old school chevy v8 all 3 are right out in the open. Dont even have to remove intake if you have one....
    20191206_065529.jpg

Drivers side just remove 1 bracket and 1 vacuum line. Then its just a matter of wrestling that front connector off and rotate the coil the right way as it comes out...
    20191206_065506.jpg

Grumpy, gabbo2112, GonzoQuick and 5 others like this.
  2. Dec 6, 2019 at 7:30 AM
    Minny Taco

Minny Taco For the Horde!

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Off Road DCSB
    - Dobinsons shocks and leaf pack - Level 8 MK6 wheels - 265/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs load C - SPC UCA - Moog LCA - TRD Pro headlights - Bullet Proof Fab skid plate w/ Line-X - 3M Matte Black roof vinyl - Astrostart remote - Debadged - Black shifter bezel - Front window tint 50% - Color matched grill surround - MESO LED red/white map lights - Osram Super Bright H4 bulbs - Headlight Services upgraded wiring harness - Auxito LED reverse lights - Zulu Nylon Gear MOLLE visor cover - Truxedo Lo Pro QT tonneau - Weathertech floor mats - Weathertech vent visors - Redline Tuning Elite hood struts - OEM bed mat - AJT Design custom shift knob - AJT Design custom climate knobs - Center console organizer - Salex glove box organizer - 1" driver seat spacers - AntennaX 14" antenna - AVS door sill protectors - Trimmed OEM mud flaps - Candyapple red tow hook - Painted pinch weld and radiator frame - Custom radio knobs from Hondo Garage - Xtunes black tail lights - Black LED third brake light - Ruff Tuff Kryptek Typhon seat covers - ACEkraut license plate relocation bracket - Cali Raised Side Shooter ditch lights w/ lo-pro mounts - Subaru tweeters + Rockford Fosgate speakers - Thinkware F800 Pro dash cam - Stickers n shit
    Hey thanks for the link and info. I think it's an expensive service at the shop so would be nice to do it myself.

GonzoQuick likes this.
  3. Dec 6, 2019 at 7:37 AM
    PasswordIsTaco123

PasswordIsTaco123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRDOR
    2015 Silver Bullet Taco Installed: 5100's W OME887's +1/4leanspacer Toytec Boss Rear shocks Headstrong AAL + 1/2in block Ubolt Flip W superbumps Front Superbumps CB drop kit 4runner Trail Edition 17in Wheels Tires: Falken Wildpeak At3 C-load 275/70/17 Hooke Road Roof Rack Have but may/may not install Ex rear brake lines diff drop
    Super easy, I installed these to my AAL packs to get just a little bit of rake with my lift kit. the only thing you might have to do is cut off the excess bolt sticking through the leaf pack if its a significant amt. I had a ubolt flip and superbumps and in there was extra space so i didnt have to cut.

I did the same also, i had JBAs waiting to install, went to pick up the rear shocks from Toytec and they talked me into the SPC's, even knowing some of the issues ppl have been having with a 'clunk' with the new updated style of x-axis somethin or other with them and ended up returning the jbas. So far the only noises ive heard are from wheel rub on the fenders i havent trimmed yet. Almost sacrificed a pair of undies when i first heard the rub backing into a parking space.

One tip that helped us out with installing, someone mentioned to take the whole front grille off, this will help big time with getting the through-bolt out. Youll have to get some bigass channellocks to bend some of the panels outta the way, but with a little muscle and an extra set of hands to tap it through you shouldnt have a problem. Also remember to wait to fully retorque that uca bolt once you have the truck back on the ground, not while its up on stands.

I gotta go back through this weekend and re check torque, its been 2-300miles and about 2 weeks so everything should be settled. Plus I want to try and see if i can straighten back out my rear, I think when I did the AAL, because i did one side then the other rather than both sides at the same time, I rebolted everthing back up a tiny bit crooked cause my toe on the rear was D +.2 and P -.2 at the alignment

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    GonzoQuick likes this.
  4. Dec 6, 2019 at 7:46 AM
    jungleman

Member:
    North California
    Vehicle:
    Np
    Piece of cake really.
    You can do it.

Rick_Taco and PasswordIsTaco123 like this.
  5. Dec 6, 2019 at 7:54 AM
    cwadej

cwadej Ballerina Award winner

Member:
    Right Here
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4

I'm with you. these plugs are easy to get to.

6. Dec 6, 2019 at 7:55 AM
    PasswordIsTaco123

PasswordIsTaco123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRDOR
    2015 Silver Bullet Taco Installed: 5100's W OME887's +1/4leanspacer Toytec Boss Rear shocks Headstrong AAL + 1/2in block Ubolt Flip W superbumps Front Superbumps CB drop kit 4runner Trail Edition 17in Wheels Tires: Falken Wildpeak At3 C-load 275/70/17 Hooke Road Roof Rack Have but may/may not install Ex rear brake lines diff drop
    Yep
    So easy, I did it outside my apt complex in about an hour (first timer and kept checkin back at youtube video and the forum post on here to make sure). you can rent a torque wrench from Oreillys or Advance also if you dont have one to make sure youve got them torqued correctly. Make sure you have a long enough extension for your socket as well, and tape the socket to the extension so it doesn't detach in there.

7. Dec 6, 2019 at 7:57 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    This.

8. Dec 6, 2019 at 9:06 AM
    tacotunner06

tacotunner06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Edmonds, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 White Tacoma
    LS Swap with RSG Tranzilla, Custom hi clearance front bumper, Relentless: Slider's, bed rails, rear bumper, Prinsu with 40" BD s8. Dirt Designs 3.5 LT. Archive Garage rear towers/shackle flip/SUA. King Air bumps. King LT Coilovers in front. King 12x2.5 in rear. ARB rear air locker and twin compressor. SCS f5's with 33" Ridge Grapplers. 20" S8 mounted in bumper, squadron sport fog lights, squadron pro backup lights, LP6's bumper mounted.
    Definitely not a stock swap, lol. Yeah it’s crazy though cause I probably have done most of the changes to it in the last three years.

tacoma16[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Dec 6, 2019 at 9:22 AM
    Rick_Taco

Rick_Taco I'll do it myself

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB 4WD Limited MGM 110K Miles
    Bird Dog RVM Bracket, Tint 20% all around, Spider Trax 1.250" wheel spacers K&N Drop in air filter Ram Mount A Pillar (And hard wire charging) Dual 2.4amp Charging USB LED Lower Center Dash Light Center Console Light Trailer plug moved to bumper Tonneau Cover Air Pump Filter Upgrade (UNI Filter) Ultimate reverse light upgrade (Phillips 18161) Anytime Fog Lights Blue LED shift light Nitto Ridge Grapplers 265/65/18
    I have to end my Phone calls on the screen sometimes. I get hung up in the same loop of nothingness when I try to end it from the wheel. Although I disagree that rebooting the phone is the answer. If I reboot my phone after its already connect to the running truck; it will not re connect unless I turn the truck off and open the door. And since I stream all of my music from Spotify, that really pisses me off!!:annoyed::annoyed::rofl:

I got my last set from a Lexus dealer on eBay, out of AZ, for $18.00 shipped to my house. And I agree, the Tacoma plugs are way easier than some vehicles I have worked on.

Just make sure you have a long enough extension. I put a swivel in line right above the top of the valve covers. It made changing the plugs a breeze. The last 2 extensions are not really necessary, it just allowed me to make full turns.

spark plugs.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    henrilepuf, JKU3000, irayfz6 and 7 others like this.
  10. Dec 6, 2019 at 9:52 AM
    jungleman

Member:
    North California
    Vehicle:
    I sometimes bluetooth music through my phone but usually have a thumb drive loaded up and running and it pisses me off when I forget to turn bluetooth off and a voice call interrups the tunes.
    You can turn off notifications for everything BUT a voice call wtf!

Why do phone manufacturers assume voice calls are the #1 priority when Im on a road trip???
    Dont bother me Im rocking a road trip right now!!!

Can never have enough extensions imo.
    Allows you to swap and change them as necessary based on how much reach is needed.

Also make sure the plug socket has the rubber up in it to hold the plug from falling back in and a gap gauge is cheap.
    I dropped a plug one time doh! Checked the ceramic (have carpet on my garage floor) everything looked fine. Finished the install and fired it up, had a crazy knock that wasnt there before. Shut er down immediately.

Thought about it and pulled the one I dropped and sure enough the electrode was closed from the fall.
    Kind of an extreme case for double checking the gap but I always set em at .040

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Rick_Taco[QUOTED] and GonzoQuick like this.
  11. Dec 6, 2019 at 9:54 AM
    Atomic

Atomic Master Cylinder

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport Double Cab Long Bed
    Three years later, having to redo my plasti-dipped rims. Not bad for only $25.

20191206_105056.jpg

12. Dec 6, 2019 at 10:02 AM
    DG92071

DG92071 Well-Known Member

Member:
    A lot of great advice on this topic and in this thread, thanks. I'll be changing them soon as they have over 125K on them (PO).

I dropped a 7/16" socket down the distributer hole of a 327 Chevy. It only clunked twice so I didn't think it fell all of the way to the oil pan, it didn't. I heard a few more small clunks starting that *ucker up, lol, a couple of years later I pulled the oil pan for a stroker kit and the socket had a decent dent in it. I warrantied the socket through Snap On.

13. Dec 6, 2019 at 10:11 AM
    20somethingwidataco

20somethingwidataco Yes, my avatar is a real car.

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    ACLB 6 SPEED: Suspension: Bilstein 6112s (3rd perch) (F) Taco Lean Spacer Bilstein 5160s (R) TSB Leaf Pack Wheelers Offroad 3 leaf progressive AAL Wheelers Superbump Front Duro Bump U bolt flip kit Duro Bump progressive bump stop 3rd gen TRD offroad sway bar Wheels and Tires: Summit Racing Wheel Dakars (Polished Silver) 285/70r/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrax (Load D) "Performance": AFE CAI with custom powdercoated white filter cover MagnaFlow Performance Series Exhaust URD Cam gears XTP Intake Manifold Spacer OTT Torque Tune Brakes: Stoptech Slotted Rotors TRD ceramic pads Wheelers offroad SS brakelines (Front) Interior: Kenwood DD headunit Oem Subaru Kicker Tweeters Alpine 6x9 (Front) & 6.5 (rear) (With Taco tunes speaker mounts) Alpine 500 watt amp Sound Deadening (Doors, Rear "wall", Roof) ODI Rouge Shift Knob Weather Tech Mats Painted/wrapped trim pieces Console Safe Console Vault Gridx Organizer Ram Phone Mount Meso Customs dual color map lights Meso Customs dual color dome light Wet Okole seat covers (Black) Wet Okole center console cover (Black) 1" Seat Raisers (Driver & Passenger) AJT Designs climate control and 4x4 knobs Back Up Camera Lighting: Retrofits (Mini H1's, RGB Halos, 5500k Bulbs)(Lenses wrapped in self healing PPF) Diode Dynamics SS3 Max SAE (Yellow) Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro (Yellow) Driving lights Anytime fog mod Rigid Industries E series 32" Combo bar (spot/flood) Diode Dynamics XPR Reverse Lights Diode Dynamics XP80 turn signals LED brake, parking lights and license plate lights Armor: Apex All Pro sliders BPF steel skid plate Bigass Trailer Hitch Camping/Storage: Leer canopy LED interior lighting Sleeping platform (Storage underneath) Removable snowboard Yakima mounts Extra D rings in bed (6 total) Custom Powder coated white snow shovel with custom bedrail mounts Amazon special Traction Boards Hi Lift 48" Jack with custom Rail mounts to accommodate my sleeper set up Other: All pro Bed Stiffeners Relentless Fab tailgate panel TRD sport graphics (Turd Gen spec) Anti Sun glare hood scoop wrap (Satin Black) Custom FleeBay grille 4 Hella supertones ECGS needle bearing 4 patches (for now) BPF shackle mount (With smittybuilt shackle) Tinted windows (Front/Rear + Full canopy)(18%) Meso Customs gasshole AVS inchannel window visors Diff Breather Kit 2012-2015 Oem Turn signal/folding mirrors (w/ sequential signals) 2012-2015 Oem LED taillights Full Size (285/70r17) spare DIY Larger Engine Splash Guards DIY Vipercut
    Now ditch those led headlights....

Rick_Taco likes this.
  14. Dec 6, 2019 at 10:46 AM
    gr8t_white_taco

gr8t_white_taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Stage 9 Icon suspension, full CBI aluminum armor and skids, prinsu roof rack, vtx wheels, dorkel, etc...
    I think its interesting that there is so much hate for LED headlights.. I had a pair in my taco before I did the retrofits and they had a perfect factory cutoff when installed properly. Most of the LED headlight bulbs that you can buy now are built with a cutoff shield on the body so that you dont get the crazy light.. I've been on the receiving end of LED's that don't have that cutoff plenty of times, but that's somewhat outdated. See the attached picture for reference.. LED Headlight.jpg LED Headlight 2 .jpg

15. Dec 6, 2019 at 10:48 AM
    DG92071

DG92071 Well-Known Member

Member:
    That's great to know!

16. Dec 6, 2019 at 10:48 AM
    AugustaTaco

AugustaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Augusta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSBXSPX4X4 2017 GX460
    "Getting out of hand" - Wife
    Same here, I have the Phillips LED headlight bulbs and they have the exact same cutoff as the factory halogen because of the cup and narrow blade design

Edit: A guy I used to work with has the cheapo ones and they are blinding as hell. But he's young and doesn't care :rolleyes:

17. Dec 6, 2019 at 11:08 AM
    Toysareus

Toysareus Member Passed Away—2021

Member:
    USA
    I have not heard anything negative about adding the 1/2” shim to drivers side leaf springs. I did an AAL a while back with no issues. Raised front using 5100’s an inch. My front of truck is level—always was level. But after about 1000 miles had to do the ECGS replacement. The AAL raised the rear about 1-1/2”. But the rear always had that 3/4” drivers side lean before and after the AAL. I have talked to Toyota mech about this and they said a 1/2” increase on drivers side won’t make a difference in the driveline. If there was going to be any vibes it would have happened when I did the AAL.

Rick_Taco and Pbuddy1026[QUOTED] like this.
  18. Dec 6, 2019 at 11:38 AM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    I haven’t begun the rabbit hole of motor swaps and not well versed in that. Trying to stay away as that is a more expensive game then armour and suspension (generally).

look forward to hearing more about it.

19. Dec 6, 2019 at 12:18 PM
    la0d0g

la0d0g Its 4 o’clock somewhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    7A95AE62-E0AC-41F6-8550-7C44BF388845.jpg

rtilton12, dpele, Rick_Taco and 9 others like this.
  20. Dec 6, 2019 at 12:40 PM
    IvanhoeTaco

IvanhoeTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCSB 4x4 Converted Prerunner
    Total Chaos 3.5 LT, King Coilovers, 35x11.5r17 on Falcon T2, ADV 4 inch fiberglass, 4.88 gears, FJ cruiser transfer case, 4 runner front diff, Cab mount relocate, fox 12x2.0 relocated
    20191206_123207.jpg 20191206_123112.jpg
    First set of new wheels I've ever owned! 255s look not bad on them too!

Grumpy, srspicer, Rick_Taco and 12 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top