1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What Have You Done To Your 3rd Gen Today?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by hamiltonuh60, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Nov 19, 2021 at 6:09 PM
    Bob1971

Bob1971 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    KY
    Vehicle:
    White 2020 Trd OR
    Bed cover, step bars, SCS SR8 wheels
    My brother owns a body shop and he says it’s a nightmare trying to match paint up. He said there are value shades that have to be sprayed and even then he will have to spray panels next to the repair in order to get a color blend that hides the fact that the hood or fender isn’t exactly the same as say a trunk lid. Seems crazy to me that blue isn’t blue or white isn’t white but I guess that’s why it costs so much to get quality work done.

FireMedk[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Nov 19, 2021 at 6:15 PM
    AppleIsSkynet

AppleIsSkynet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Warner Robins, GA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    OEM black exhaust tip Bullet Proof Designs phone mount
    Looks awesome. Did you get the OEM or an aftermarket grille? also, any trouble with your TSS?

Thanks

Scotfree likes this.
  3. Nov 19, 2021 at 6:22 PM
    TacoManOne

TacoManOne KDMax-Pro Authorized Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Liberty Lake, WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue TRDOR DCLB Premium JBL
    KDMax Pro latest version, Meso stuff, JBL upgrades
    my dad was in the 92nd bomb wing during the SAC days.

4. Nov 19, 2021 at 6:33 PM
    codyjphoto

codyjphoto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    2015 gx460
    A bunch of junk
    Forgot to snap a photo of the items and such but I installed sumo springs rear bump stops. Anyone got a link to the fronts?
    20211119_162028.jpg

5. Nov 19, 2021 at 6:36 PM
    wcoffman

wcoffman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 SuperWhite
    Fr pass door handle replace, Tyger step rails and soft bed cover, DDSS3 fogs, TRD skid, OR front tow hook, SokieTech hood struts, fr seat covers (neoprene), metal oil filter housing, magnetic oil plug, Cyclone under hood lights, Blue Sea Systems 5025 Fuse Block ST Blade 6 Circuit with Ground and Cover, Blue Sea Systems 60A DC Panel Mount circuit breaker.
  6. Nov 19, 2021 at 7:09 PM
    PWaxon

PWaxon Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Aftermarket, just installed have to wait and see if it has TSS issues.

AppleIsSkynet[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Nov 19, 2021 at 7:14 PM
    Scotfree

Scotfree I drive slow

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 sr 4x4 2.7
    What brand aftermarket ?

8. Nov 19, 2021 at 7:19 PM
    FireMedk

FireMedk Just A Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement Tacoma TRD OR DCSB
    KD Max tune, OEM Pro grille w/ four amber lights that turn on with DRL lights, OEM 5” nerf bars, OEM double crossover roof rack, Bilstein series, 285/75R16 TOYO Open Country A/T III’s on 16x8 FN Fx Pro Wheels in matte black (incl. spare) with Gorilla black spline lugs, TRD Pro skid plate, OEM chrome tailpipe, TRD Pro gear knob, Meso gasshole V2, chalk bag hydro flask holder, Bakflip MX4 topper, Spiker hood struts, OEM bed step, OEM TRD Pro tail lights, all chrome replaced with cement interior, Meso black out ultimate turn signals, stage 1 tail light kit, the elusive TRD start button, AJT cement radio knobs, all Meso ultimate LED dual color interior lighting, OEM power tailgate lock kit, OEM black chrome exhaust tip and other mandatory taco nerd accessories
    The more research I do on paint, I’m learning a lot. One is that I know the saying, “you get what you pay for” may or may not apply to a lot of things but paint is certainly one of them. Choosing paint and who does the paint job on your truck is not something you want to risk to chance by being frugal.

Scotfree and Bob1971[QUOTED] like this.
  9. Nov 19, 2021 at 7:40 PM
    Rottencotton

Rottencotton Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stinkin Rincon
    Vehicle:
    Superwhite 2019 Tacoma SR 4x4
    So Earl Scheib is a bad idea?

10. Nov 19, 2021 at 7:48 PM
    MGMDesertTaco

MGMDesertTaco Come on, live a little...

Member:
    It just depends on who's prepping and spraying and what kind of paint really. I've seen a few paint jobs that have been done in home garages come out better than some from "professional" body shops. Also, vice versa. :notsure:

Epic3rdgen, playdixie and FireMedk like this.
  11. Nov 19, 2021 at 7:57 PM
    FireMedk

FireMedk Just A Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    KD Max tune, OEM Pro grille w/ four amber lights that turn on with DRL lights, OEM 5” nerf bars, OEM double crossover roof rack, Bilstein series, 285/75R16 TOYO Open Country A/T III’s on 16x8 FN Fx Pro Wheels in matte black (incl. spare) with Gorilla black spline lugs, TRD Pro skid plate, OEM chrome tailpipe, TRD Pro gear knob, Meso gasshole V2, chalk bag hydro flask holder, Bakflip MX4 topper, Spiker hood struts, OEM bed step, OEM TRD Pro tail lights, all chrome replaced with cement interior, Meso black out ultimate turn signals, stage 1 tail light kit, the elusive TRD start button, AJT cement radio knobs, all Meso ultimate LED dual color interior lighting, OEM power tailgate lock kit, OEM black chrome exhaust tip and other mandatory taco nerd accessories
    Hahaha yeah, I think you can also add Maaco to that list. Unless you wanna switch it up and do a different color every other year lol

12. Nov 19, 2021 at 8:01 PM
    FireMedk

FireMedk Just A Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, like I mentioned earlier, depends on the quality of the paint and the experience of the painter. I know an elderly gentleman down the street from me who painted his classic Chevy truck in his garage and it was surprisingly really good. He definitely knew what he was doing. I wish I had those skills.

MGMDesertTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Nov 19, 2021 at 8:04 PM
    PWaxon

PWaxon Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Scotfree[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Nov 19, 2021 at 8:05 PM
    TJH1224

TJH1224 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Tacoma SR5 DCLB
    New 2nd generation running boards! About $300 on Amazon, so after hearing good things (and that they fit the 3rd gen) I snagged them.

I love the look against the Cement color

20211106_145235.jpg :

Tumbler, ETBA, devale and 13 others like this.
  15. Nov 19, 2021 at 8:08 PM
    You Suck I Suck More

You Suck I Suck More Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Meatloaf
    North Florida
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White DCSB TRD OR
    Your parents' favorite Airman
    Pro tip: there is a hole through the fire wall that has a grommet filling it. Drivers side of the brake master is where you'll find it...

Pop the grommet out, put a small hole in it, spread it open with some needle nose and then put your wire through it. Now you have a clean hole through the fire wall without having to put holes in other grommets/ boots that wires are already filling or drilling other holes through the fire wall!

20211119_175127.jpg

16. Nov 19, 2021 at 8:13 PM
    FireMedk

FireMedk Just A Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Looks great!

TJH1224[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Nov 19, 2021 at 8:21 PM
    TJH1224

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! Installation was pretty easy too, although like any running board it takes a little finesse to prop it up while wrenching in the first bolt. Having a friend around to center it would probably help.

I like the style of this one, with a uniform height and plenty of room to step on it, without sacrificing ground clearance.

Plus the accent of the black against the cement body is an appealing look. My 5'2" wife can now get in the passenger seat without having to do a hand spring into the cab...

18. Nov 19, 2021 at 8:22 PM
    ryanvar42

ryanvar42 That is your opinion. It is wrong.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2023 Forester Sport
    None
    Does it function as an actual step when getting out of the truck, or is it in the way?

TJH1224[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Nov 19, 2021 at 8:26 PM
    Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma SX 3.5 4x4 BRM AC
    Literally a steal Tom. They look great on your Cement. Only got mine for rocker protection from snow/ice/salt but I've come to love the way they look. And they're sturdy as hell.

20. Nov 19, 2021 at 8:30 PM
    TJH1224

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    Good question, I'm fairly tall so I mostly bypass it when I hop in, but my wife loves it, and I noticed even the dog stepped out on the way down out of the cab today.

On a practical level for me, it helped when I washed the top of the cab and if I need to reach over the front of the bed to drop something in.

ryanvar42[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top