1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What is All-Pro's 3 Stage powdercoating process???

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Toy Taco, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Dec 2, 2011 at 2:51 PM
    Toy Taco

Toy Taco [OP] Golden Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 dub cab trd off rd. spinnin all 4 tires
    the ones that do stuff
    So I have All-Pro bumpers front and rear, both plate style. I got both of them through TW group buys. The rear was from the very first group buy they did right when they came on the market. The front was from the last group buy they did before making the minor-ish changes to the higher clearance (current) version came on the market. The rear was only available in bare metal so i had it powder coated here locally in denver. The front was only available powdercoated and I remember them advertising a new 3 stage process to address issues they had with earlier powdercoating flaking off. Well the front bumper powdercoat that all pro did is holding up great and the rear that i had done here is bubbling and starting to flake off.

I put a call into all pro to find out what the process they use is so i can find someone locally to re coat with the same process. They were going to check with their powdercoater next time he stopped buy but a month later i got no info. I searched for some info but no dice either. The only thing i can find locally that sounds different than the standard method is a mil-spec coating.

So, does anyone here have some insight into what the process all pro uses is? Obviously the place i went to screwed up, cut corners, and or just didn't do a good job. I can only assume poor prep work is the culprit. They had it phosphate etched and cleaned but it probably got handled a bunch and sat around for a while before coating since it got sent out for the phosphate cleaning. They were a newer company but very close and the price was right. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

2. Dec 2, 2011 at 2:55 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    #1. Clean metal surface
    #2. Spray powder pigment on metal
    #3. Bake at (insert favorit temp here) for (Insert favorit time frame here)

Kidding aside, I cant see too many stages involved with powder coating.

3. Dec 2, 2011 at 10:23 PM
    Toy Taco

Toy Taco [OP] Golden Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 dub cab trd off rd. spinnin all 4 tires
    the ones that do stuff
    so more searching and I was wrong, it was not a 3 stage process but a double coat.

"This group buy is for the powdercoated version only, which is now an improved satin black double coating with a slight wrinkle finish for long-lasting durability!"

or here if you want the entire page

any ideas what this might be and how it is different???

Products Discussed in

To Top