1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What is the best oil to use?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by BG04Taco, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Nov 3, 2009 at 5:43 PM
    BG04Taco

BG04Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmond, OKLA
    Vehicle:
    04 2.7 SR5 4X4
    ARE Camper, JL Audio, Line-X, Yakima roof rack, odyssey 1500, red line hood struts
    I bought my truck new and its only had Royal Purple. Im about to change front and rear diff and engine oil but I dont want to keep paying RP if someone knows what is the best.

2. Nov 3, 2009 at 5:45 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Best is subjective:

Royal Purple is pretty good stuff.
    Mobil1 is good stuff.

Use what you want-

3. Nov 3, 2009 at 5:52 PM
    STLharry

STLharry Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Yeti Rescue Package with 240k miles
    '95-'97 camouflaged, ARB bull bar, RAT Products skid plate kit, sliders, Green Mountain Customs rear tube bumper and overland bed rack, King coilovers with Icon neoprene covers, defenestrated sway bar, OME Rear Suspension: CS046R leafs + AAL/5125 shocks/NWOR greasable hardware/U-bolt flip kit; S13WL Tundra calipers/pads/rotors, IPF H4 lenses and bulbs, IPF 968 DCG 100W lights, clapped out CB radio, Aussie-spec FJ60 inclinometer, ARB CKMA12 compressor, Superwinch S9000 with 12V Guy clock switch, 4' Hi-Lift, deckplate mod/grey wire mod/dif breather extensions, Duratrac tires, Sockmonkey bedside decals, boat cupholder, Dakine bike pad
    x2.

i have mobil 1

4. Nov 3, 2009 at 5:53 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Any quality synthetic will do. Change regularly. Royal Purple is fine if you want to stick with that. Mobil 1 is also fine and a little less expensive.

If you want to do extended OCIs, stick with one brand for a few changes and get oil analyses done to determine what your OCI should be.

FWIW I ran Mobil 1 for the first 3k miles and swapped to RP a couple days ago. Plan to run RP from now on because the UOAs over at bobistheoilguy.com show it shearing down to about a 20 weight over time while still protecting excellently against engine wear.

The Diffs/T-case are still full of Mobil 1...nowhere near the needed time/mileage for a change yet...

5. Nov 3, 2009 at 5:54 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Respect your elder gen.
    Pink slider.
    I'll be putting Redline MT90 in my trans pretty soon, and M1 in everything else (5-30 in engine, 75-90 in diffs and tcase)

6. Nov 3, 2009 at 6:06 PM
    BG04Taco

Member:
    Edmond, OKLA
    Vehicle:
    04 2.7 SR5 4X4
    ARE Camper, JL Audio, Line-X, Yakima roof rack, odyssey 1500, red line hood struts
    Reason for concern is I saw one article on how RP needed to change their advertising because a lot of claims were false. However I like it, I trust it will see how long my engine lasts with it.

7. Nov 3, 2009 at 6:08 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Which article, exactly?

Never mind. Googled it up. Interesting. I'll still take the oil analyses.

8. Nov 3, 2009 at 6:16 PM
    BG04Taco

Member:
    Edmond, OKLA
    Vehicle:
    04 2.7 SR5 4X4
  9. Nov 3, 2009 at 6:22 PM
    03sasTACO

03sasTACO Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    brevard
    Vehicle:
    SAS taco on 38's
    i use rotella t 10w30. i know i know crazy but it has zinc that helps with repair of cylinder walls and also stays cooler due to it being a diesle oil. it also last a little longer and doesnt thin out as much when it does get hot. look into it. i have been running it in my truck for about a year now.

10. Nov 3, 2009 at 6:30 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR

Yeah I saw it.

Before switching to RP I went over to the Bob forums and read every RP used oil analysis in the first 40 pages of threads.

The consensus seems to be that it shears down to a 20 weight over 5000 or so miles, but engine wear stays low. This may be where people pick up their .5 HP or 1 MPG gain....essentially it turns into a thinner oil.

Some might argue this is a bad thing, but there were no signs of high wear in these oil analyses either, so the data suggests the RP is maintaining protection, and on paper a thinner oil that can protect against wear just as well is better...

In any event, I'm not worried about it.

To Top