1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What is the biggest mistake?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SurfInferno, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Mar 2, 2010 at 10:45 PM
    SurfInferno

SurfInferno [OP] Dont be stupid, its not smart.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 DC
    What is the biggest mistake you have made while working on your trucks?

I havent made to many *knock on wood* but i did have to redo my grill 3 times just from pure lazyness...

2. Mar 2, 2010 at 10:53 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    I haven't made any on this truck, but when we were putting the motor back in my old bronco, we forgot the little metal spacer that goes in between the motor and trans. We didn't realize until we got the last motor mount bolt tightened and saw it laying there on the work bench :frusty:. It was horrible but we took everything back out and put the stupid plate in.

3. Mar 2, 2010 at 11:15 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    I haven't made any major mistakes in the Tacoma, but I did accidentally light a buddy's Tiburon floormat on fire while hardwiring a radar detector. I was under the dash for quite a while and wasn't watching my cigarette ashes...

4. Mar 3, 2010 at 11:27 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    bump, good thread idea.

5. Mar 3, 2010 at 11:31 AM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    doing the pinch weld mod. it's so hack ass to just smash it with a hammer, going back and grinding it down, then painting, it's much better now. and dropping my sway bar on my head was a mistake haha.

6. Mar 3, 2010 at 11:33 AM
    dylandercole

dylandercole Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    I put the throwout bearing and lever in backwards when doing my clutch. realized it right after reataching the bell housing

7. Mar 3, 2010 at 11:38 AM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    While installing my UCA's, forgot to connect the driver side end link on the sway bar. Got in the truck, went for a test drive and ripped up my CV boot. Luckily I had zip ties in the truck, so i pulled over, zip tied the end link up out of the way of moving parts, and idled back to the house :eek:

8. Mar 3, 2010 at 11:41 AM
    Muddytaco11

Muddytaco11 Whatchamacallit Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David Ryan
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '02 Prerunner SR5 Few Small Mods
    Cold-air, Prosound Muffler and Duel out pipes, Stereo with XM, Streetglow underglow kit, Streetglow Interior kit, Tinted Lights, 10000K HID
    I was to lazy to ground my new HID ballast properly so my headlight wouldn't always come on so i would just pop the hood, wiggle the ground wire until it came on... that worked for about three days. Then the bulb blew. Now i gotta buy a new $100 headlight. Yay Me!

9. Mar 3, 2010 at 12:04 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    installed the driver's side, front suspension lift kit...patting myself on the back when someone said, "hey did you put the spacer in?" fuck.

no probs with my own truck..but i have almost cried on some of my cars. like the time i fully reinstalled my 911 motor, only to find the flywheel gear still sitting on my bench. i almost vomited.

10. Mar 3, 2010 at 12:05 PM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    1. Installing the transmission back into my 5.0 mustang by my self. I had a regular floor jack and a piece of wood holding it. Thats heavy sun of a bitch fell off and allmost hit me in the head.
    2. Working at a Marine shop in Kemah, I was working on a the injectors on a 8.1 mercruiser well I dropped a nut off the injector line into the injector hole. THank god I caught it. I took the intake and head off to get it out, Otherwise I would have had to but a new piston and rod.
    3. Working on my Powerstroke (6.0) I was pulling the EGR valve to replace it. That piece of crap wouldn't come out. So I got a crowbar and a wire coat hanger to pull it out. Well I broke a plastic piece that runs along the windshield. Thank god I found another one at a junk yard for $50
    4. Working on my dads boat. I pulled the exhaust manifolds to replace them. (454 crusaders) well on one of them I forgot to put the flex exhaust hose on. that engine bay filled with water quick. Thank god It had working bilge pumps...Now my dad and I laugh about it.
    5. Painting the rims on my Taco. I had the front end on jacks, When it came time to put the wheels back on I had to jack it up a lil bit, Damn thing quit working and slammed my taco onto the jacks hard. :eek:

11. Mar 3, 2010 at 12:57 PM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    I've had a few mishaps in the garage...

I rode my bike and brought a new drivechain and sprockets to my folks place about 3hrs away from home one weekend. There are six 10mm studs that hold the sprocket on. The service manual called for 74 ft.lbs for the nuts that hold the sprocket onto the studs. It didn't click that it was way too much torque for such a small nut and I stripped 4 of the studs as I continued to tighten in a star pattern.

I wrote on the FZ1 forums in a panic and found that tons of people have done it and its a misprint in the manual :mad: $120 later I had five new studs and 5 new bolts delivered to me overnight from some bike shop in NY. I made it home before work on Monday.

On my 350Z I was installing headers. I got the factory ones out with no problem on the first day. On the second day I installed both with no problems but I forgot the gasket on the passenger side so I took it out and then I spent 30 minutes trying to get it back in. I couldn't figure out how I snaked it in there. Finally I just threw a screaming rage tantrum and kicked my feet around under the car and it popped right in :confused:

Changing coolant in the 350Z I forgot about the bleeder valve to purge air while refilling coolant. I filled up the radiator and started the motor. Temp gauge stayed in the middle and then I blew off the radiator cap and sent water flying everywhere after it overheated.

Stripped almost all of the brake line fittings with an open end wrench while installing SS lines on my g/f's tC. I had to finish tightening one with a set of vise grips. I got flare nut wrenches before I did the install on the Tacoma :p

12. Mar 3, 2010 at 1:12 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Feel your pain, literally. Took a skid plate to the left eye while reaching for a wrench. Thought it would stay up there but as soon as I turned my head, it fell. I had a nice 1/2" gash under the left corner of my eyebrow.

13. Mar 3, 2010 at 1:33 PM
    DaWillDaBeast

DaWillDaBeast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 with some goodies
    Things
    most recent was when changing my oil, i wasn't paying attention and was almost done and started pouring my oil in, after the last jug was in i heard something below my truck....i never put the drain bolt back in and dumped $35 worth of oil straight through my truck onto the concrete. it wasn't a big mistake but a verry dumb one.

14. Mar 3, 2010 at 1:43 PM
    thestrangebrew

thestrangebrew AlphaPlanner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Dos Palos CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 Rugged Trail Edition
    Black Badges, Black Center Console
    Haven't done a ton of mods or anything, but breaking the little tab where the headlight bulbs come off on BOTH of my headlights doing the BHLM is the one I'm still waiting to rectify. I can't adjust the bulbs and I keep getting flashed.

15. Mar 3, 2010 at 1:54 PM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    LOL I have done that before to...But the good thing is my motor was on a stand, And my oil was free.:goingcrazy:

16. Mar 3, 2010 at 2:41 PM
    bboynowee

bboynowee Well-Known Member

Member:
    Riverside
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD 4x4 Tacoma OR, 18 4Runner TRD, 18 TRD 4Runner
    Stage 4 Icon, Icon Rebound Wheels, DeMello Hybrid Sliders, Prinsu roof rack
    I had two bottles of the same color...one was orange colant for my Saturn car I had before...and the other bottle was orange dishwashing soap...I put in the disgwashing soap into where the collant went....i was like o S@%$!!!:censored: so i had to drain my coolant and clean everything out...:frusty:

17. Mar 3, 2010 at 2:51 PM
    tvbd56

tvbd56 Epic Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Sacramento, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black DCLB OR 4x4
    my stepdad and i were trying to jump our neighbors old bronco and flipped the cables on the mercedes that was jumping the bronco. It wasnt charging for a while, so my stepdad goes to look at the cables on the bronco and there was a HUGE spark, i go look at the mercedes and realized that i put them on backwards.

I felt like the biggest retard in the world

The thing i was amazed at though the mercedes battery, the + and - signs were black and hard to see, i would think they would make the + red like on every other vehicle

my stepdad was about to kill me:smack:

18. Mar 3, 2010 at 2:53 PM
    bmgreene

bmgreene Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    Had a similar one on the 1st oil change on my old 1st gen taco years ago (5-lug, 3.4V6). Had to reach into kind of a blind spot to get the old filter out and the new one in, and didn't think to check the old one for a gasket after removing it. Gasket from the old filter stayed stuck to the block, and made for a wierd tightening experience putting the new one on; turned out the tigtening dislodged the old one partway and made a huge leak path.

First clue was when I fired up the engine and heard what sounded like a running bathtub.

Biggest mistake was screwing up taking notes before putting new wires on an old 4-banger, and ended up having to fix the pattern by trial and error. Damn lucky I didn't bend the crank or a tie rod that time, but may well have contributed to the cracked head and/or blown gasket issues I had later on.

19. Mar 3, 2010 at 2:56 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    ouch! mine happened when I was taking the sway bar off to check if the links were bad, usually i have a buddy helping me when im working on my truck, and he would have been holding the sway bar up, I forgot that once I got the last bolt out, the bar would fall. I wasn't even looking, just going at it with the ratchet when...THUNK! ouch!

20. Mar 3, 2010 at 4:52 PM
    Mr_Torque

Mr_Torque Buy the Ticket take the Ride.....

Member:
    Perkasie,PA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma SR5 4WD V-6 6 Spd
    MBRP Exhaust, 17" FJ Steelies w/Firestone AT's, Truxedo Lopro ,Timbren SES, Pioneer FH-X720BT HU & TS-C720PRS Component Speakers, TRD Quickshifter, Bilstein 6112/5160, Light Racing UCA, and Icon Progressive add a leaf.
    When I was 16 I tore the carburator apart on my '65 Malbu SS. I dropped the float pin into the carb and my buddy reached in and opened the throttle plate which caused the float pin to drop into the intake manifold. I knew this was not good. I called a friend of my Dads who had a garage and he told me it shouldn't be a problem as the pin was just brass and it wouldn't hurt the engine. I replaced the float pin and reassembled the carb. We fired it up and the engine seized in like 20 seconds. I tore the motor down and found the float pin had wedged in the number 8 spark plug and when it contacted the piston the piston fractured and grenaded the cylinder. I learned a valuable and expensive lesson!

Products Discussed in

To Top