1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What I've Found So Far 2016 SR5 4x4 Auto DCLB

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by prox600, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Apr 9, 2016 at 10:01 AM
    prox600

prox600 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Sr5 Access Cab 2.7 4x4 mag gray
    I have approx. 500 miles on vehicle so far and can say look forward to driving it.(previous vehicle 09 AC 4x4 SR5 4cyl 5 SP manual) My commute is mostly city/a little highway mix and am getting 19-20 mpg trip avg with overall avg 17.8 and climbing, it was at 14.3 when picked up at dealers 28 march. I use the S mode between 4 and 5 th gear.I do have the howling noise but just this am plugged holes recommended by this forum, haven't test drove to see if worked. I have only been on highway couple of times and did notice transmission downshifting when in D and cruise set at 70 mph(a little disappointed), depending on highway condition(hilly,flat,headwind,downhill, towing)I may just use the S mode and shift gears, first big trip comimg up this weekend so we'll see. Did my research prior to sale and asked dealer to check tran level and u joints, they did not and said tran sealed no check available, u-joints were dry, typical of people who don't know or care like us who just spent 30,000-40,000 on a vehicle. So started checks this am, front and rear diffs 1/8"-1/4" below fill on level ground, transfer oil came spilling out so fluid levels fine, u-joints dry but greasing them as soon as done with this,all bolts tight as well as U-bolts on rear springs. Only check not performed is on Transmission, I have quart of Toyota WS fluid and seals as well as instructions from forum post, my question is should I bother, i don't really have any symptoms,and since kind of tough spot to work in, fill plug up aways,wondering if i do make mind up to do can i just add say a quart prior to check, pin the thermostat (tow),bring up to temp per instruction, discharge excess,till dripping,put plug in and call a day?Also once get vehicle into tran temp mode approx.how much time do you get before gets out of range?in other words if i did add qt would that be enough time to get excess discharged?and if me would you bother?Thanks for your time.

2. Apr 28, 2016 at 11:32 AM
    dirtnsmores

dirtnsmores A camping truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Prerunner
    OME885/5100, DAKAR MED-DUTY, SOFTOPPER
    some good questions here that id like to see the responses to as well. How is your truck doing? I'm considering going with this same model instead of trd

3. Apr 28, 2016 at 5:28 PM
    prox600

prox600 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Sr5 Access Cab 2.7 4x4 mag gray
    Still loving the truck, 1500 miles and no big changes,still haven't had checked transmission checked. went on 500 mile highway trip averaged 23 mph, found if used S mode i would take off cruise and shift into 5 it would pull up hills fine, once over top I go back to 6. Its a quiet comfortable riding truck on highway,but most of my use is back and forth to work and truck is just as comfortable in city commute(avg 18-19). Had Leer 100R fiberglass cap installed and no big change in mpg, howling noise on highway was solved by plugging holes per instructions of the 3rd gen forum,that was a great thing that other members solved. SR5 model has more than enough luxuries for me didn't realize would have compass and heated mirrors, hands free phone feature working great, navigation system nothing to brag about, basically shows you where you are. so all good,if someone could answer those questions as far as transmission that would be great, if not will bring to a dealer.

4. Apr 28, 2016 at 5:48 PM
    bulldog

bulldog Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW MO
    Vehicle:
    2023 Pro
    Umm…it’s a Pro Retired 4/29/2023 Dobinsons MRR Dobinsons UCA Dobinsons C59-314 Front Springs Dobinsons I59-110 Rear Springs 4.88 Yukon Gears CMC MobTown Sliders Line-Xed RCI Aluminum Skid BAMF Recessed Grille WARFAB Rear tube bumper SSO Full Plate Hybrid (sitting in the garage still) TTD Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel Clazzio Dark Gray Seat Covers 35% Tint Vinyl Tailgate Letters Undercover Elite Tonneau Apex Stealth Cali LED 31.5" w/upgrade OPT 7 harness and MicTuning Switch V5 Gemtech Homelink 265/75 16 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T Volk Gloss Black 16” 17' Pro Rigid Fog Lights 17' Pro Tail Lights Complete sound proofing
    I'm in the same boat with the trans as you. Mines been in and out of the shop, but they just won't crack it and only check it electronically. They touched based with me again today about some things and I brought it up again. They said from what Toyota says, they are not low from the factory and many dealerships are overfilling them now which is leading to other problems. So who knows what the truth is. I'm just going to leave it and not worry about it personally.

Products Discussed in

To Top