1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What kind of oil?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by kilo, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Jun 13, 2007 at 4:41 PM
    kilo

kilo [OP] Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Dbl cab long bed TRD Sport
    custom sliders, 3" Old Man Emu lift, onboard air, custom surf-rod mount, custom bed rack, ARB bumper, Budbuilt fuel tank skid-plate
    Hey guys and gals! I was just reading a post from another member and he mentioned that it would be cheaper if he or she brought his or hers own oil for them to use. One question is, what kind of oil does Toyota use? I only have about 1500 miles on mine and we get free oil changes through out our warranty. Should I be using a better oil? Did I bite on a cheap selling point?

2. Jun 13, 2007 at 4:45 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    sticking with the dino oil that toyota uses is fine. if, and when you decide to use a different oil, im gonna suggest something like mobil1, royal purple,redline or aamsoil, which are all synthetic. i switched to mobil1 5w30 full synthetic @ 20k miles, and to me the engine smoothed out a little bit with it, and my mileage went up a bit. the oil toyota uses is fine, but i like synthetic more than dino.

3. Jun 26, 2007 at 5:37 PM
    Rick2007Tacoma

Rick2007Tacoma Active Member

Member:
    I use synthetic oils which will give you an extra 2000 miles before you need a change.

4. Jul 3, 2007 at 3:59 AM
    RAPOM

RAPOM Well-Known Member

Member:
    I use castrol syntec 5-30. I change at 7500 to 9000 miles. It all depends on where I am and if I have the time to change it. I also use a K&N oil filter PN 2009 on my 2.7, 4 banger, its a larger capacity filter sio if I cant get it changed my thoughts are it wont by pass because the media wont be full.

5. Jul 3, 2007 at 6:00 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Are you happy with the quality of the K&N oil filter? I wasn't impressed with the K&N air filters after they left a film of dirt in my Subaru's intake.

6. Jul 3, 2007 at 6:21 AM
    RAPOM

RAPOM Well-Known Member

Member:
    I wont use their air filters (just personal preference) but I like their oil filters. I go with the larger filter PN 2009 High flow rate and filter to 10-20 microns. The thing I like best about them on the 4 cyl is the 1 inch nut on the bottom of the filter, its so easy to get them off the motor.

7. Jul 3, 2007 at 6:34 AM
    RAPOM

RAPOM Well-Known Member

Member:
    I dont think the kind of oil is as important as regular changes. Kind of like tooth paste, you can use the best but if you only brush your teeth once a week whats the use.

8. Jul 3, 2007 at 6:48 AM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    The oil is important to a degree but the most important part is the filter. I'm a believer in Amsoil and their filters and I'm waiting on some for the Runner.

Some oils have properties that make them prone to sludging others do not. Once I get some more info from a reliable source I'll post up which ones do and don't.

9. Jul 3, 2007 at 7:42 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    That would be wonderful! I would love to see some of that data. Right now I am using the dealership's Castrol Full Synthetic. It isn't too bad, but I am going to start doing the oil changes on my own since I have a garage again.
    :)

10. Jul 3, 2007 at 10:04 AM
    DirtJumper14

DirtJumper14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OR
    5100's, BDF grills and light bracket, big 3 upgrade, ATH bed braces, snugtop xtra vision shell, (bed, shell, hood, rock, front, rear, footwell, glove box, center console led lighting), MESO Gasshole, MESO dome and map lights, Flyeyez center console light, custom fuse panel, TRD CAI, toyota bed mat, 2013 black carpet, 2015 side mirrors, BedRug, AJT key fob, ultraguage, 8 cadillac horns acdf, pop n lock tailgate lock, energy suspension bushings, spicer greasable ujoints, Rigid lights everywhere, kenwood stereo, led tube taillights (red), 2018 T4R trail wheels, rokblok mud flaps, TRD skid plate, RCi gas tank skid plate
    I am going to be doing my first oil change soon. I notice that the filter is on top of the engine which is great. I also noticed that there is a "spill catch" funnel type thing. Is there supposed to be a hose or something that attaches to it so oil doesn't spill everywhere? The 4.0 takes 5 quarts right? I don't remember where I saw the info. I will have to read the owners manual again.

Is using synthetic that much better for the cost? I have used Quaker and Castrol in my other vehicles and haven't ever had any problems. My 90 accord has 300,000 miles and still runs great and I am using the castrol. I do want to take care of my Taco and make sure it runs as long as possible so this is why I am asking. Thanks guys!!

11. Jul 3, 2007 at 11:36 AM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Remove the engine cover to make it easier to get to the filter, under the little "catch" is a drain that is covered by a rubber stop. Just run your hand under it and you'll feel in. Put a small cup under the "catch" to get the excess oil or you could just wait about 12 hours and let all the oil drain out of the filter and back into the engine.

12. Jul 3, 2007 at 2:17 PM
    SLOTaco

SLOTaco Ultimate Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    '06 TRD Sport 4x4 AC, K&N drop in air filter, Magnaflow cat back, Bilstein 5100's with Toytec adjustable front coil over 3" lift, rear TSB, AllPro UCA's.
    what I always did in my shop with this set up of oil filter is just attach a 3/8th inch hose about two to three feet long to the drain and let the oil drain out to the same pan I drain the rest of the motor oil into. Just save the hose with your other tools and don't forget to replace your rubber cap on the drain.

13. Jul 3, 2007 at 2:35 PM
    DirtJumper14

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OR
    5100's, BDF grills and light bracket, big 3 upgrade, ATH bed braces, snugtop xtra vision shell, (bed, shell, hood, rock, front, rear, footwell, glove box, center console led lighting), MESO Gasshole, MESO dome and map lights, Flyeyez center console light, custom fuse panel, TRD CAI, toyota bed mat, 2013 black carpet, 2015 side mirrors, BedRug, AJT key fob, ultraguage, 8 cadillac horns acdf, pop n lock tailgate lock, energy suspension bushings, spicer greasable ujoints, Rigid lights everywhere, kenwood stereo, led tube taillights (red), 2018 T4R trail wheels, rokblok mud flaps, TRD skid plate, RCi gas tank skid plate
    will it make that big of a difference running the synthetic oil as opposed to a standard oil? I have never run a synthetic in my vehicles. Thanks guys

14. Jul 3, 2007 at 2:40 PM
    SLOTaco

SLOTaco Ultimate Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    '06 TRD Sport 4x4 AC, K&N drop in air filter, Magnaflow cat back, Bilstein 5100's with Toytec adjustable front coil over 3" lift, rear TSB, AllPro UCA's.
    I am a strong believer in synthetic oils. I used to own a '76 dodge truck, when I bought it it ran a little rough and had a few other problems. First thing I did I was change the oil to synthetic, over time and many other fixes it began to run much better. eventually I tore the top of the motor off and it was amazing how clean it was. I have used it on every car since and it has helped my gas mileage as well. I use MOBIL 1, there are other great oils like AMSOil, however, MOBIL 1 is just easy to acquire and not as expensive as royal purple or redline.

15. Jul 3, 2007 at 3:19 PM
    DirtJumper14

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OR
    Cool thanks. You are right. Royal purple should be called liquid gold for the price, BUT it is one of the best out there for sure. I use it in my 69 Roadrunner as my friends with two 72 chevelles run it as well and got me to use it there....but since I don't ever really drive it due to $3.50 gas prices out here. I just wasn't sure on newer vehicles. Thanks again!!

16. Jul 3, 2007 at 3:40 PM
    kngharley

kngharley Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corona, Ca
    Thanks for the thread. I had the same question and now I have the answer synthetic all the way

17. Jul 7, 2007 at 5:54 PM
    A2Mich

A2Mich Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jackson, Michigan
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Streak Double Cab PreRunner SR5 V6 TRD Sport
    Tube steps, Toyota Bug Shield, Lund Tonneau
    and am running Mobil 1 5W-30 full synthetic with a Mobil 1 filter as well. Actually, I use full synthetic and Mobil 1 filters on the Tacoma and the Sienna both. They both take the same filter.

DirtJumper14.....the 4.0L V6 takes 5.5 quarts. I actually noticed a slight increase in mileage after switching to Mobil 1 synthetic. Gained about 1.5 mpg.

18. Jul 7, 2007 at 8:02 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    My 2.7L didn't get much MPG improvement (maybe .5 MPG), but it does not lug along as much since I went synthetic...

...now my wife's V6 Rav4 - It hauls balls since we went synthetic AND the fuel economy increased. :D

19. Jul 8, 2007 at 7:15 AM
    parfleet

parfleet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rex
    Pensacola, FL.
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner, SR5 Package, 4.0 Engin
    Front Bush Guard with 100 Watt Driving Lights, Color Match Tonel Cover. Cold Air Intake By True Flow,added an additional 26 HP.
    I purchased my 05 Tocoma Pre-Runner in April 07 and it had a mere 21,000 miles on the odometer. I am a "do it your selfer" and only take my vehicles to a repair shop only if it is something "over my head" so to speak. The previous owner always had the truck serviced at the dealership but that is just not my way.
    I believe in "Royal Purple" motor oils as I have used them in the past. I immediately changed oil in the Tocoma with 5-30 Royal Purple and went with a Mobil 1 oil filter. My intentions are, and this is blessed by Royal Purple, drive the Tocoma 5,000 miles, change filter only (again going with a Mobill 1 oil filter) refill only what oil I lost due to changing the filter), and drive the another 5,000 miles before changing oil completely and filter. I further recommend switching from an oil drain plug to to on/off drain valve. I got mine from Lubricantspecials.com. The size is 12 MM by 1.25MM thead pitch. It cost about $25 but it creates a much cleaner working enviornment. Finally I swtiched to a K&N air filter. All of these changes took me from 19.5 miles per gallon to 21.5 miles per gallon. And by the way, I never burn 87 Octane. I run the mid-grade.

Hope this answers your question about oil.

Royal Purple has a great website by the way.

20. Jul 8, 2007 at 12:37 PM
    A2Mich

A2Mich Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jackson, Michigan
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Streak Double Cab PreRunner SR5 V6 TRD Sport
    Tube steps, Toyota Bug Shield, Lund Tonneau
    Are you using an on/off valve type plug, or are you using one of those quick-drain type plugs with the rubber stopper in the middle? Just wondering, because I have seen the stopper-type quick drains leak before. Just don't want you to end up losing your oil. When I was working at car dealerships, I had seen a lot of people come in with the quick drains that were installed unbeknownst to them by the quickie lube places. Saw a few lose ALL of the engine oil and toast their engines......:eek:

Products Discussed in

To Top