1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What leaf springs are these???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PropJet, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Jul 17, 2009 at 4:25 PM
    PropJet

PropJet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, Moto Metal 955's, GoodYear DuraTrac 265/75/16's, N-Fab Nerf Bar
    This is an update to a thread I started a while ago about my tsb experience, http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/41605-my-09-tsb-fun-begins.html. I wanted to begin a new thread to draw attention to a new twist on the leaf spring tsb, and hopefully to see if anyone can provide any answers.

Being told my springs were on "national backorder," I had been waiting patiently since 7/01 for them to arrive. Two days ago, on 7/15, I get a call from the service manager, saying the springs have come in. I dropped off my truck this morning, and with a copy of the tsb in hand, verified that they would be doing an alignment. The service advisor looked confused until I showed him the tsb specifically called for an alignment on trucks with the TRD package.

This afternoon I stopped back by to pick up my truck, and the following conversation took place:

Service Advisor: I just wanted to let you know that we didn't do an alignment since that tsb does not apply in this situation.

Me: :confused:

SA: This tsb is for those that experience a harsh ride, and the springs that this tsb calls for are actually softer springs than what you already had.

Me: No, if you read here, the tsb is for a harsh ride as a result of the truck bottoming out while carrying a load. (I then read directly from the tsb "customers... may experience a harsh ride from the rear suspension while carrying heavy cargo in the bed and driving over bumps or uneven surfaces.")

SA: And because of the harsh ride, softer springs are installed.

Me: No, you're not reading this correctly. What you're saying doesn't make any sense. Not to mention, if softer springs were installed, why would there be a note on the tsb that says "customers should be advised that vehicle ride characteristics in an unloaded condition may exhibit an increase in rear suspension firmness." You're saying softer springs make the ride more firm? :smack:

SA: Well, we knew the softer springs wouldn't fix your problem, and since this tsb calls for softer springs, the service manager had to come up with a new fix and get it approved by the regional manager. You have a four pack of leaf springs on there now.

At this point, I figured there's no point in arguing anymore, especially if I got the fix. However, and this is where it gets strange, but when I got home I decided to check part numbers. Per the tsb (which I apparently didn't get), the old (read weak) spring part numbers were:

48210-04550 (rh)
    48220-04190 (lh)

The new 4-leaf spring part numbers per the tsb:

48210-04570 (rh)
    48220-04210 (lh)

However, the part numbers on my service order and on the springs themselves that I got:

48210-04560 (rh)
    48220-04200 (lh)

What are these springs? It's a 4-leaf pack, and I can tell that the ride is firmer, so they're obviously better than what I had... but what are they? In all of the hundreds of posts that I have read on here about the springs and the tsb, I do not recall anyone mentioning anything about this mysterious 3rd type of spring.

Funny how one of the excuses I got earlier was that Toyota's legal department wouldn't authorize the tsb on the 09's because they weren't designed for the 4-packs, and any dealership that did the tsb on the 09s was taking on huge liability... yet the very dealership that fed me that excuse has put some kind of unknown springs on my truck.

I honestly don't know if I should be upset with the dealer for being so clueless and not being able to read and understand a simple tsb... or if I should be happy that they went out of their way (albeit due to their own cluelessness) to create a fix for my problem.

Anybody know anything about these springs?

2. Jul 17, 2009 at 4:36 PM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    It sounds like the springs they gave you are the stock springs for Tacoma's sold in Canada.

3. Jul 17, 2009 at 4:44 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    I wonder if there's a difference between the Canadian and US ones besides part numbers.

4. Jul 17, 2009 at 4:54 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    Man! What a hassle. I'm not going for the tsb now. I've heard way too many horror stories about the dealers causing more trouble than it's worth. I'm sorry for the trouble they put you through bro. I hope it goes alright for you & the truck.:goingcrazy:

5. Jul 17, 2009 at 5:14 PM
    PropJet

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, Moto Metal 955's, GoodYear DuraTrac 265/75/16's, N-Fab Nerf Bar
    Can someone from Canada confirm this? I'm really curious.

6. Jul 17, 2009 at 5:16 PM
    PropJet

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    You never know until you try. I'm with you though, it can definitely be a hassle, depending on the dealer. I'm just glad it's over!

7. Jul 17, 2009 at 5:24 PM
    Kujo

Kujo New Member

Member:
    Quebec
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    I confirm, my canadian Tacoma got the 48210-04560 on the right side.

8. Jul 17, 2009 at 5:27 PM
    PropJet

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    Thanks Kujo. There you go, my dealer went out of his way to put Canadian parts on my American truck, when there were easier parts to get. Now the question is... why?

Now the only other question I have is, since they have different part numbers, is there any difference between the two?

9. Jul 17, 2009 at 11:41 PM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    People say the springs on the Canada Tacomas are stronger than the stock US trucks. (they are 4 leafs, right?). Therfore, Toyota does not need to offer a TSB for Canada Tacomas.

10. Jul 18, 2009 at 5:08 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Yup 4 leafs on mine. The look pretty strong. I'm pleased with the weight I can carry. No bottoming out on my truck yet. Held quads, wood, and class a stone with no trouble.

Products Discussed in

To Top