1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What Navigation Device do you use?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by MyWyfsRnnr, Jun 25, 2019.

?

What do you use for "off grid" Navigation?

1. Garmin Handheld

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  2. Magellan Handheld

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other Handheld

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. OIS Based App

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  5. Android Based App

17 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Other

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jun 25, 2019 at 7:09 AM
    MyWyfsRnnr

MyWyfsRnnr [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Citrus Heights
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD
    Prinsu full rack, 3" OME, 275/75/17 KO2, Anytime Backup, BudBuilt Skids & Sliders, Wet Okole covers, Tint front, Silverstar Headlights, black taillights, LED Backup lights, LED interior Lights
    I am looking to upgrade with some stand alone navigation. The factory navigation is a bit lacking in my opinion for "off grid" adventures without cell reception etc. What is Tacoma World using? I am liking the idea of a tablet based map program so you can actually use the maps as maps. Backcountry navigator seems to have a lot of good reviews but is there another affordable solution that is better? I know there are GPS purpose built notebooks etc. but they are pricey for what a lot of us need. So, what are you using?

2. Jun 25, 2019 at 7:28 AM
    SR-71A

SR-71A Define "Well-Known Member"

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB, TX Baja Edition. Barcelona Red
    255/85/R16 Falken Wildpeak MTs, Mobtown sliders, ARB bar, SOS front skid, Icon RXT leafs, extended & adjustable Kings, JBA UCAs, OVS wedge RTT, dual AGM batteries, Gen2 xrc9.5 winch, CB, GMRS, S1 ditch lights...
    Myself and a decent number of other members in the NE use the Gaia GPS app. Its subscription based (some like that, some hate it).. But anyway, the really cool thing is you can download maps before you leave on your trip. "Not the map guy" @m603holden is the one who showed it to me :D

So once you A) find a map layer that you like, and B) know where you're going to be, you can just select that area and download it. Once in the woods, you can use the app just like normal. The files are pretty big though, so I would download over WiFi and usually only cover the areas I know Ill be traveling in (with a decent sized margin around the edges).

Other cool features are recorded tracks and way-points, several different base layer maps, and the ability to export your recorded tracks as kml/csv files. Also, a feature I use a ton is the ability to import kml/kmz files into the app. Thats super awesome for me as I usually plan my trips in Google Earth and can import that whole layer

m603holden and MikefromCT like this.
  3. Jun 25, 2019 at 7:30 AM
    sd1uh8as

sd1uh8as Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ivan
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma OR DCLB
    I use a dedicated Android device as well as a Garmin InReach+

SR-71A likes this.
  4. Jun 25, 2019 at 7:30 AM
    MikefromCT

MikefromCT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR DCSB
    OME Bp-51; Relentless Armor
    Gaia with my iPhone; bad elf Bluetooth GPS receiver tied to iPhone.

5. Jun 25, 2019 at 7:33 AM
    SR-71A

SR-71A Define "Well-Known Member"

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB, TX Baja Edition. Barcelona Red
    255/85/R16 Falken Wildpeak MTs, Mobtown sliders, ARB bar, SOS front skid, Icon RXT leafs, extended & adjustable Kings, JBA UCAs, OVS wedge RTT, dual AGM batteries, Gen2 xrc9.5 winch, CB, GMRS, S1 ditch lights...
    How are the default InReach maps? Seems like the big draw for that is obviously the global satellite communication coverage

6. Jun 25, 2019 at 7:35 AM
    sd1uh8as

sd1uh8as Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ivan
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma OR DCLB
    I got it mostly for the SOS and usually keep it stowed. I use the Android loaded with Backcountry Navigator Pro for actual hiking, trails etc. I bought a big battery pack for it so it's my go-to Navi device

SR-71A[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jun 25, 2019 at 7:57 AM
    Fclarke1982

Fclarke1982 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frankie
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD OR
    Dedicated Samsung tablet, running GAIA. Also have some nice paid weather apps. Use Mobile hotspot for data, backed up by downloading maps of the route I intend to take along with surrounding areas.

m603holden likes this.
  8. Jun 25, 2019 at 9:11 AM
    m603holden

m603holden @Koditten Pirate Radio member #063

Member:
    First Name:
    Marteeen
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Lots of sail boat fuel
    The biggest thing isn't what app you're using, it what maps you're using. They all serve a roll and can paint a clearer picture on trips are haven't been traveled by anyone in the group.

I have about 5 that I normally use. 7 is what I've narrowed it down To. Not including a satellite layer

9. Jun 25, 2019 at 9:19 AM
    golfindia

golfindia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes.
    Vehicle:
    pickup truck
  10. Jun 25, 2019 at 9:25 AM
    MyWyfsRnnr

MyWyfsRnnr [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Citrus Heights
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD
    Prinsu full rack, 3" OME, 275/75/17 KO2, Anytime Backup, BudBuilt Skids & Sliders, Wet Okole covers, Tint front, Silverstar Headlights, black taillights, LED Backup lights, LED interior Lights
    I historically grab my old topo rolls I inherited from my grandfather and father but I am trying to get with the times. The old rolls however, do show roads and logging camps etc. that are not shown on some of the new stuff so those are still coming with me.

Phoosa likes this.
  11. Jun 25, 2019 at 9:37 AM
    m603holden

m603holden @Koditten Pirate Radio member #063

Member:
    First Name:
    Marteeen
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Lots of sail boat fuel
    You can get digital copies of historic roads.

I do also have 5 states worth of maps and a ton of weather proof fold out maps of areas for remote woods

12. Jun 25, 2019 at 9:39 AM
    MedlinAround

MedlinAround Failure is the result of letting setbacks stop you

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD off-road edition Tacoma
    Bilstein 5100's, OME 885X Coils, Dakar HD Springs, Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks, Magnaflow exhaust, Volant Intake, OKledlight pods, Front Skid Plate, Weathertec Floor Liners, Custom Bed Rack, TRD Nation interior LED dome kit, 4X innovations sliders, DIY Roof Rack, Smittybilt RTT.
    Backcountry Navigator FTW on anything off road.

sd1uh8as and MyWyfsRnnr[OP] like this.
  13. Jun 25, 2019 at 4:44 PM
    yeos

yeos OCD Member

Member:
    Moses Lake, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 AC TRD OR 2007 Lexus GX
    I like Gaia Maps. The great part is you can create/download tracks, maps, routes, waypoints on their website and select which ones to sync to the devices that have Gaia installed. Items that you want to save, but not have synced/downloaded to the phone can be archived on the website for future use.

MyWyfsRnnr[OP] likes this.
  14. Jul 3, 2019 at 7:58 PM
    Montanahunter

Montanahunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zhaun
    Helena Montana
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD off-road
    OME lift Stealth custom wheels ARB bullbar Allpro Apex sliders Prismo design roof rack.
    I use backcountry navigator app I love it you download map areas so it works without internet. I've been using it for almost 10 years. Screenshot_20190703-205713_BackCountry Navigator PRO.jpg

15. Jul 6, 2019 at 4:46 PM
    dman100

dman100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    I am finding that in California, a combination of Toyota maps and maps.me, downloaded for offline use on my iPhone, almost always has the map data I need with accurate location data. I don’t feel a need for routes, tracks, waypoints etc ... as long as I know where I am relative to a map with roads/trails and other points of interest, I can manage. I usually have a good paper map along but usually only use that for the big picture. My biggest complaints with the Toyota nav are the lack of contrast so it’s hard to see minor roads, and the fact that those minor roads are only visible when zoomed in, even if they’re the only roads in a 20-50 miles radius. I would take a factory off-pavement optimized nav system ahead of power seats or maybe even crawl control, any day. I wouldn’t mind a Strava for 4wd actually. But maps.me is great and my iPhone XR has a great display and fast GPS location even with no cell signal.

Shellshock and SR-71A like this.
  16. Jul 6, 2019 at 10:56 PM
    RED_BEARD 4X4

RED_BEARD 4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vista, ca
    Vehicle:
    2016 TACOMA TRD SPORT 4X4 DCLB
    2016 TACOMA TRD SPORT 4X4 DCLB
    I use my iPhone with a @MobArmor mount and I use motionX-gps. Works well for me, I am however easing into Gaia maps as well for a backup option.

17. Jul 7, 2019 at 10:41 AM
    HapaMatt

HapaMatt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    I use an iPad mini with Gaia GPS. I also bought an external GPS receiver that uses Bluetooth. Thumbs up to Gaia for its ease of use and letting me create trips on my laptop then sync to my iPad, and import map files. Nice to have on hikes as well.

18. Jul 7, 2019 at 11:26 AM
    omegaman2

omegaman2 Unknown Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 4WD DCSB
    Current setup is gaia premium on ipad with bad elf bluetooth gps receiver.
    This has worked very well for a couple years, however i am looking into the inreach for the messaging function. The inreach sos function would also replace my current PLB.

19. Jul 8, 2019 at 2:18 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    Another vote for Backcountry Navigator Pro. I use it on my phone, and actually have an older Android phone I use that's dedicated for off-road nav. I mostly use the BC Nav, but I also have been known to break out Avenza and the geo-pdfs of Forest Service MVUMs (FS maps are free from Avenza.com). I like the MVUMs because they only show simplified roads with FS names, and aren't cluttered with topo and other superfluous info. A little easier to find your way on the roads. I wish BC Nav had an MVUM layer, but the "USFS - Forest Service (newer)" layer has been great.

I used to think I wanted a larger screen, like a Galaxy Tab or something, but I don't like a cluttered dashboard, and the phone screen works well enough.

I have an Ipad mini and thought about using that for nav, but for the price of a decent bluetooth GPS antenna, I can get a Galaxy Tab with integrated GPS. Or just use my phone (free).

Montanahunter likes this.
  20. Aug 4, 2019 at 4:03 PM
    toucan

toucan Stupid truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC offroad MGM. 2012 Super White SR 4x4 RC
    SCS/Bilstein/Icon/JBA/ Relentless/ATH/Smittybilt/Meso/Mobtown/Archive Garage/BAMF/Pioneer/Rockford Fosgate/Sundown/Wet Okole/Spiker Engineering/I'mMr.Yo/RAMMounts/Softopper/Weathertech/Factor55/Morel/DD
    I recently picked up a Garmin InReach SE+ and a subscription. With that I went ahead and downloaded Earthmate which gives you topo maps and USGS quads to download. They do take up quite a bit of space on my tablet though. I bought a 128GB chip for it, but it caused a damn SIM card error so I can only use the native storage for whatever maps i want. I use a 32GB Asus tablet with LTE. I also have my old tablet loaded with the same app, its a Samsung Galaxy tab 3 with 16GB, Id really like to use this one as it would be easier to mount it in the truck as it is smaller than the Asus. Also use Avenza, and have looked into gaia as well. I really dont want to pay for any more subs though. ALready pay the Garmin sub and OnX Hunt. One of these days Ill get evrything streamlined down the the right app, right subscription, right device and right mount.

Products Discussed in

To Top