1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What should be my next DIY project?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by Sido, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Jan 21, 2013 at 9:35 PM
    Sido

Sido [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anchorage
    Vehicle:
    None
    I have a 98 Tacoma that I've owned 8 years. I want to keep this until it dies or costs too much to fix. For years I was scared of working on my truck myself, but through this site I have grown in what I am able to do. I love working on my truck and taking care of it. When you do your own work it really makes you appreciate everything (and you see how filthy these things really are).

My humble list of accomplishments is below-
    Oil changes for engine (mobile 1 synthetic with oem filter of course), rear differential, transfer case, transmission, put in new spark plugs and wires, coolant flush, greasing the u-joints, changed the three drive belts (biggest PITA ever), cleaned MAF sensor, oiled K&N filter (would rather do OEM filters but figure it isn't worth the hassle to change).

Paid to have done- water pump, thermostat, fuel filter, clutch oil flush, power steering pump, front brakes and brake fluid, new tires, new struts, alignment.

What should be the next DIY project?

2. Jan 21, 2013 at 9:41 PM
    Trowbocop

Trowbocop Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    What suspension setup are you running?

3. Jan 22, 2013 at 7:35 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Get an old small motorcycle that you can tear down and rebuild. It teaches you a lot about being methodical and detailed when you are working on stuff. Find a cheap project so if it doesn't work out, you don't lose much money. I started with little engines and now can work through all kinds of engines, motorcycles, cars without using a manual all the time.

As for your truck... start with things that aren't electrical related since it's the hardest to diagnose.

Products Discussed in

To Top