1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What to do with my auxiliary lights?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by iroc409, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Sep 26, 2010 at 9:34 AM
    iroc409

iroc409 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    Hi all! I am having trouble deciding what to do with my light setup. Currently I have a pair of Lightforce 240 Blitz on the outboard mounts of a N-Fab light bar, but they aren’t quite what I am looking for. The 240’s are really, really bright and give me incredibly long distance lighting, but really give some intense bright spots and not a lot of wide lighting for closer ranges—even with the “combo” filters.

I was thinking about adding some IPF 968’s from Costco, as it would be easy and quick. However, the 240’s don’t seem to fit on the inboard mounting tabs next to each other. If I mounted the IPF’s on the inside, I think the 240’s would block most of the wide lighting, and it wouldn’t give me much benefit.

So, I’ve been trying to figure out other options. I’ve been looking at some Hella 4000’s to replace the Lightforces, but it doesn’t seem to be very cost-effective. Another option is to pay someone to re-mount the inboard mounting tabs on the light bar so I can mount the 240’s in the inside, and mount a pair of IPF’s on the outboard. I’m not sure how much that would cost, or what the effort involved would be.

Yet another option would be to trade the 240’s in for 4 IPF’s. I would pretty much break even on this, and I could run the outboard IPF’s turned out slightly and probably have just about an optimal light pattern, although I am sure I would lose a little distance, and maybe some distance brightness. Another benefit would be that the IPF’s don’t stick out as far as the Lightforce, which would be kind of nice (that’s been kind of a problem). Then maybe I could look into putting some money into maybe a better “fog” light for driving in the snow (I’ve even considered modding some LF 140’s). I doubt the IPF's are as durable as the Lightforce, however.

What do you guys think? Any ideas? I only use these a few times a year on major road trips (5000+ miles), but when I need them it is REALLY nice to have. I’d like to avoid spending tons of extra money on this.

Products Discussed in

To Top