1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What type of engine management for 3.4L forced induciton ?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by MadMtnMikey, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Dec 27, 2011 at 5:20 AM
    MadMtnMikey

MadMtnMikey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Richmond/VaBeach
    Vehicle:
    03 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Justing sitting around doing a little thinking and research.

I'm wondering what some of the guys running forced induction are using for engine management on the 3.4L ?

Unichip has that new Flux2 out, doesn't seem bad for piggy back, but it doesn't modify boost... I have a turbocharged Nissan 240sx and I'm used to seeing stuff like AEM EMS, Haltech, Apexi power commander, Greddy Emanage.

On my Nissan I'm not running anything crazy, just an Apexi SAFC and AVCR for fuel and boost control, I only run 18psi from a T3/4 so that combo gives me what I need.

Anyway, I have thoughts of slapping a turbo on the Taco, and I'm just wondering what people are doing for any type of management and control.

Edit: I'm sure any of the management products I mentioned could be used, I just haven't seen or heard of anyone using them on a toyota 3.4 so I'm curious.

2. Dec 27, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    Phuket

Phuket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    03 4X4 TRD
    Eibach/Toytec coils, bilstein 5100's all around, Kenwood DNX7100 Navigation
  3. Dec 27, 2011 at 10:02 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    I use URD's 7th injector/piggyback.

4. Dec 27, 2011 at 1:29 PM
    MadMtnMikey

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Richmond/VaBeach
    Vehicle:
    03 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD
    appreciate the linked video, but not really what I was interested in finding out about. I'm searching for strictly electronic engine management to control fuel injection, boost, monitor wide band o2 and egt sensors and maybe control timing maps.

So for example, someone running 550cc or larger injectors in their 3.4L, how are they doing it ?

Like I said, I'm used to my Nissan, which runs OBD1. You either run a piggyback fuel controller to trick the ECU, or completely re-flash the ECU, or run complete standalone engine management.

5. Dec 27, 2011 at 1:56 PM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
  6. Dec 27, 2011 at 2:01 PM
    MadMtnMikey

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Richmond/VaBeach
    Vehicle:
    03 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Ok, I'll check that out... I wasn't interested in looking at URD at first, people only seem to mention them with the 7th injector which isn't really within my personal preference, I know some people are using it just fine though.

I think I may have post this in the wrong section. If a Mod catches this, can you please move it to the performance and tuning section ? I don't want to re-post and get bitched at.

7. Dec 27, 2011 at 2:03 PM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    PM any of the mods. They can move it for you.

8. Dec 27, 2011 at 4:40 PM
    atvlifestyle

atvlifestyle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    01 trd tacoma
    supercharged with MCM front kit
    I run the URD 7th injector with a few other URD componets. Gadget is the man, he has always been willing and able to help through any problems and questions.
    I wouldn't go any other route with a 3.4 and TRD supercharger.

If you use a turbo you will still need larger injectors and fuel pump.

9. Dec 28, 2011 at 4:26 AM
    MadMtnMikey

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Richmond/VaBeach
    Vehicle:
    03 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD
    I'll keep Gadget in mind for any questions. I have no definite plans. But I do have a brand new turbo sitting around. Right now I'm just thinking and pricing.

I don't like the "turbo kits" I've seen so far. If I ended up using this turbo I already have, or even if I didn't, I would do a custom install. There's a shop around here with a very good reputation and they do a lot of custom work. Plus I'm already familiar and very comfortable with turbo setups and wrenching on them.

I do like the piggyback setup from URD with the bigger 318cc (??) injectors. Anyone know the HP numbers that size of injectors will support ?

Already familiar with Walbro fuel pumps, which I would use. I run a 255 in my 240. They're cheap, very reliable, and have no problem supplying needed fuel flow and pressure.

My truck is a 4x4, so I'm not even thinking of a setup to build massive power. A little extra top end kick on the highway and some extra towing torque is all I'd be after, maybe 50 - 75 more HP. Reliable and adjustable turbo and engine management is where the aftermarket support seems to fall a little short. Right now it's looking like people have only used URD or Unichip. There's other stuff out there I know would work, but it's looking like I'd be on my own with wiring it up and getting it to work.

I figured there would have been more people around that broke ground with 3.4L performance looking at how many of these trucks exist, I guess not though :eek:

10. Dec 28, 2011 at 9:07 AM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Honestly, I think you're asking these kind of questions on the wrong site. There is some meager knowledge of superchargers here, and even less on turbos. You're better off asking/searching over on custom tacos. CT has a much larger street truck following, particularly on the first gens.

I know you said your comfort is with turbos and you have one laying around, but I'll give you my figures anyway since you're looking at pricing. I picked up my supercharger brand new on craigslist for $1600. They are pretty easy to find for a decent price. That puts out +75 hp. Add in the URD engine management and fuel kit for $900-1000 and you get ~30-40hp. Throw in a smaller nose pulley and a new tune and then numbers just go up.

11. Dec 29, 2011 at 3:36 AM
    MadMtnMikey

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Richmond/VaBeach
    Vehicle:
    03 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Good input, if I even followed through with such a project it would be a good ways down the road from now, so I'll think it over :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top