1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What would you do? Swap Icons for bilsteins?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by HIKR, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Apr 27, 2015 at 7:37 PM
    HIKR

HIKR [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 dbl cab in pyrite mica
    6% Tint all around, Toyota all-weather floor mats, Toyota bed extender and skid plate, Python 991 remote-start alarm, oem cruise control and class III hitch were all installed within a couple months. I then installed Icon c/o's and Icon's 3-leaf aal with 17x9" GA9's and 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratrac's. The DRL mod was done, as was a custom rack setup similar to the org. cross bars. Blacked out headlights bought online, and a BOSS 1500 under-seat sub installed along with a Pioneer double-din DVD player
    Long Saga short...

ICON coilover leaked and started clunking after running over a deer carcass at 70 mph.
    Had both rebuilt since they were at about 50K miles.
    Was a pain to find someone to rebuild them. Ended up have to take them 1+ hours from the S Seattle area. The guy there told me the shaft of the one had some wear and couldn't warranty his work.
    Within 2 weeks of rebuild the one started clunking again. I'm not positive if it's the one that was damaged or not.
    Clunking has persisted, and I'm sick of it. I keep thinking something is going to give/break.
    I can't be without the daily driver/truck and ship the things to ICON, and I sure as hell ain't going back to that last shop.

So....I'm thinking of just downgrading to something more disposable (financially) like Bilstein's with some 885x coils.
    I'd consider UCAs since I was getting uneven tire wear and would like to get a better alignment to reduce the bump-steer.

Tacoma is an '09 4x4 V6 with light bar and skid plate.
    I was running 285/70/17s but just bought some 265/70/17s on clearance.
    Icon 3-leaf AAL in the rear with Bilstein's. I'm willing to remove the overload spring if my next suspension setup in front isn't as much lift as what I have now.

Questions:

1) If I were to go to Bilstein's with 885x coils (or an OME setup) would I regret it from a ride quality standpoint?

2) Should I just suck it up, buy another pair of coilovers and cross my fingers they don't go bad?

Thanks for any advice. You guys are awesome.

2. Apr 27, 2015 at 7:49 PM
    Bman4X5

Bman4X5 There is no substitute for square inches.

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Upland CA
    Vehicle:
    '15 AC/OR
    Bilstein, Dakar/Icon, Prinsu, CBI, Pelfreybilt, Tepui
    I just installed Bilstein 6112. They ship with 600lb coils and are adjustable like the 5100, but are larger diameter. I set mine on the 4th groove and got 2.5+ in on my access cab. The ride is very close to stock.

3. Apr 27, 2015 at 8:00 PM
    Brjw

Brjw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    That sucks, sounds like you should have sent them back to icon for a rebuild. How about picking up stock used front shocks/springs and swapping them while icon or a more trustworthy shop rebuilds them? I see them cheap on Craigslist all the time, hell throw some cheap spacers on with them as a temporary stand in. Unless you want to top out over speed bumps and fight the tacoma lean, then go with bilstein/OME. ;)

I've had bilsteins on several rigs and the ride is nowhere near as good as my icons. Especially with IFS applications, their rebound valving is terrible, they top out easily and very harsh in my opinion.

4. Apr 27, 2015 at 10:27 PM
    HIKR

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    6% Tint all around, Toyota all-weather floor mats, Toyota bed extender and skid plate, Python 991 remote-start alarm, oem cruise control and class III hitch were all installed within a couple months. I then installed Icon c/o's and Icon's 3-leaf aal with 17x9" GA9's and 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratrac's. The DRL mod was done, as was a custom rack setup similar to the org. cross bars. Blacked out headlights bought online, and a BOSS 1500 under-seat sub installed along with a Pioneer double-din DVD player
    Today is the first day I've heard of the 6112's. Busy life = little time on TW. What's the consensus of 6112's vs ICON?

5. Apr 27, 2015 at 10:30 PM
    HIKR

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for your comments, Brjw. Knowing me, I'd be unhappy if I traded this clunk for a crappy/harsh ride.

Maybe I should just buy another pair of coilover's (whatever is best value) and just sell the current pair as is or get the one clunker rebuilt and then sell. Thoughts?

6. Apr 28, 2015 at 10:03 AM
    Bman4X5

Bman4X5 There is no substitute for square inches.

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Upland CA
    Vehicle:
    '15 AC/OR
    Bilstein, Dakar/Icon, Prinsu, CBI, Pelfreybilt, Tepui
    No consensus yet as the 6112s were just released for Taco last month. I like mine, but YMMV.

7. Apr 28, 2015 at 1:04 PM
    Westside

Westside Southbound

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Nor Cal, East Bay
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    Buy or borrow a take off set to run while your Icons get rebuilt correctly. I have a pair of 3" lift Pro Comps that I saved just for this purpose. Too bad that we're not closer

8. Apr 28, 2015 at 8:25 PM
    Brjw

Brjw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    I have new take offs from my truck, I kept thinking about selling them but I know it probably makes more sense to hang on to them for the same reason. It took four weeks to get custom rear shocks from icon, don't know what their turn around time is for rebuilds, but that would be excessive for sure.

9. Apr 29, 2015 at 7:09 AM
    Westside

Westside Southbound

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Nor Cal, East Bay
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    Usually takes about a week for Icon turn them around. If you have your factory shock/coils you could throw them on, maybe use a spacer if needed. But going backwards on ride quality wouldn't work for me. I would stick with the Icon's no matter what it takes to get the rebuild done.

10. Apr 29, 2015 at 1:35 PM
    bigd9247

bigd9247 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 F150
    It was pretty easy for me to get a set of factory front coils and shocks on Craigslist for $50. I've also seen them on here that were local in Washington. I would try that if I were you and get your Icons rebuilt. I've already started another thread about my suspension, but like BRJW said the Bilsteins aren't performing as well as I would like. As a side note, I would consider buying your Icons if you do decide to get a new set and I'm local to you (enumclaw,wa). PM me if you want to talk about it more.

11. Apr 30, 2015 at 2:17 PM
    HIKR

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    I want to thank you guys for your input, and for your offer to help with a take-off set Westside. I've actually decided to go with 6112's. I don't wheel, and figure they should behave similarly to the ICONs (which I loved save for the clunking). I also won't be as bummed if they ever need to be rebuilt given the fact they are almost 1/2 the cost of the ICONs.

12. Apr 30, 2015 at 2:37 PM
    MKW

MKW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Murrells Inlet, SC
    Vehicle:
    2014 RC 4x4
    OME 3" lift MK6 wheels 285 Fierce MTs & 4.88s!!
    I have a 2014 Reg Cab 4x4 with OME 884s and 5100s and my son has a 2015 DCSB 4x4 with Icons and every single person that has ridden in both trucks say that the OME kit rides better on the road than the Icons. I agree 100%.

13. May 1, 2015 at 6:23 AM
    Westside

Westside Southbound

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Nor Cal, East Bay
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    There's so many variables with each set up that is unfair to make any assumptions regarding the ride quality between both trucks. What are the 5100 set at? How much preload on the Icons? Truck weight, Tires, etc. Most who started with the OME set up and have switched to Icons would probably have some experience with this.
    The 6112's will suit your needs. What are you going to do with those Icon's :drool::drool:

14. May 1, 2015 at 3:31 PM
    Brjw

Brjw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Forest Grove, Oregon

Ride quality is a subjective. Between different trucks I agree, too many variables. I've been in trucks with amazing suspension that rode horrible because the tires were way over inflated, or too much preload on the coilovers with no down travel, etc.
    Icons can be valved and sprung any way you want. And with CDC you can adjust the compression valving any time.

However some people actually like a softer, looser ride with squishy rubber bushings and stuff. Some would rather have a little more bounce and body roll so it feels smooth like a big car, others prefer a more precise and controlled handling. However if you spent a ton of money on icons and your biggest concern is smooth street driving, you wasted your money anyway.

15. May 1, 2015 at 4:09 PM
    HIKR

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    I will be selling them, preferably as is. I am accepting offers at the time.

Products Discussed in

To Top