1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What would you do?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ChrisYoTaCoMa, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Nov 22, 2009 at 5:24 AM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

ChrisYoTaCoMa [OP] Chrome's for Harleys and old farts

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Ex cab 2.7 sr5 AT
    New Pioneer stereo, and all 4 speakers with Infinity components. Sirius satellite radio. Deckplate mod done. Door buzzer silenced forever thank God, tinted windows, vent visors, hood protector(bug guard), ceramic pads and new rotors, dechromed EVERYTHING. 2" Lift front 3" rear. Skyjacker AAL's and replacement leafs(and front spacers) from Fatbobsgarage.com. Skyjacker 7000 Hydro rear shocks, those Bilstein 5100 fronts are coming soon!
    I am looking at getting an 01-04 4x4 double cab, TRD would be nice but...(having no back seat sucks). I love my truck, but I really want a DC. I put a lot of time effort and $$$ into my truck. So I am torn here a bit. I don't really know what to ask for mine. Book is anwhere from $4500-$6500 depending on NADA, KBB, or Edmunds. What is fair to me and a buyer? If someone thinks they will buy it for a "frame recall" they are in for a suprise, this one is mint.

I saw this down the road from me. I am going to look at it later when no salesman are there to harass me.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j..._price=&cardist=9&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

2. Nov 22, 2009 at 5:30 AM
    Kuneff

Kuneff Carpe Diem

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Woods Beater
    Tree Dents
    just my .02, I don't really care for the look of the Double Cab. I think the Xtra cab looks the best... and even the standard cab. The DC just doesnt look right to me. I see your point with the practicality of it all though.

Just think about that payment... is it worth it to have a back seat for your friends to be more comfortable???? is your current taco paid for? if so... Keep it...

HAhhahahaha... my advise just made me laugh... I am giving the best advise ever, yet I can't even take my own advise.. I am 33 and I have had probably close to 40 vehicles, over motorcycles, and several quads and dirt bike...

3. Nov 22, 2009 at 5:39 AM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    New Pioneer stereo, and all 4 speakers with Infinity components. Sirius satellite radio. Deckplate mod done. Door buzzer silenced forever thank God, tinted windows, vent visors, hood protector(bug guard), ceramic pads and new rotors, dechromed EVERYTHING. 2" Lift front 3" rear. Skyjacker AAL's and replacement leafs(and front spacers) from Fatbobsgarage.com. Skyjacker 7000 Hydro rear shocks, those Bilstein 5100 fronts are coming soon!
    Yeah I own it, paid for. It's not for friends, believe me, I would make thier ass drive thier own car or get in the back bitches...LOL. My daughter is getting older, taller, needs more room. Stuff like that.

I don't mind the DC's look. Yeah the bed is a lot shorter, but you have to give some to get some...LOL Sounds perverted...LOL.

40 vehicles... I beat you x2 plus some. I have since I was 17 had about 80+ cars, probably more. Lots count. In the last 2-3 years I have only had 4 though, so I am slacking and getting older now.

Lots to think about.

4. Nov 22, 2009 at 6:52 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    If you need more room...Have you looked at any used 2nd gen tacomas?
    You'll get more room in the double cab 2nd gen than you will with the 1st gen.

5. Nov 22, 2009 at 7:18 AM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    I love the look of the xtra cab more that the DC or reg. Idk, it just seems...more proportional. HOWEVER, I am a college student who skis (and DC bed wouldn't fit my skis), so the 4x4 xtra cab is perfect for my needs, as a do not have a family to have to transport.

Having said that, your taco is sweet, but a DC model may be more practical. I personally don't like them much because they are all automatic, but yours is auto so that's not an issue to you.
    So go ahead and get that taco, because it actually doesn't look too bad and appears to be in good condition.

(On a side note though, I would take that "brush guard" off and replace it with some real armour. Or just take it off. Because it looks sort of weak.)

6. Nov 22, 2009 at 7:30 AM
    2009tacomav6

2009tacomav6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    phx AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4
    TRD SC TRD Cat Back KMC 17x9 Addicts
    I have both and I like the look and bed size of the extended cab better.. Double cabs are nice for transporting people... and dogs.

7. Nov 22, 2009 at 8:02 AM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    Test the "waters" around your area for trading "straight" across...DO NOT say upgrade to a dealer;)...

There are more DC's in my area right now for that simple reason,folks are trading into SUV's or back to x-tra/single cabs.....Family is growing or grown-up:D:cool:.....Price and play hard with them....if they are good at selling, your truck will fit a "young'ns" free spirit and is already set-up...and you would be happy with a comfortable DC you could "build into":cool::cool:,correct??

Good luck and trade with your head not your heart( by the look of your pix,the current "Ride" is an extension of you:cool:;)).....after looking at that ad.....your truck + $4000...see if they bite..

S

8. Nov 22, 2009 at 8:50 AM
    Werloc

Werloc Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Central, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2003 Double Cab 4X4 TRD 3.4 V6
    I don't know Chris. You gotta do what you gotta do. I'm married, but no kids. Anyway, the wife's car works OK when we need to take others. I don't like the looks of the double cab, but I do like the color. Well, if you do get it, just take all the extra crap off it.

9. Nov 22, 2009 at 9:37 AM
    nelson18matt2

nelson18matt2 same guy as other nelson18matt

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Ventura, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Prerunner
    Icon CO, Camburg UCA, timbrens, bili 5100, deaver J59, glassworks fenders, BFG AT, AR mojave teflons
    the truck you posted from autotrader would be nice if you took off the brush guard and nerf bars, i like the red but 140,000 miles...thats not so great

10. Nov 22, 2009 at 9:37 AM
    dhurley

dhurley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD SR5 V6
    TRD, Snugtop Super-Sport, bedliner, receiver hitch, alarm mod, deck plate mod, AFE Pro-Dry S, Saddleman camo seat covers, TW decal, grey wire mod w/switch, DRL, LED cupholder mod, Dynomax Super Turbo, aux back-up lights, Devil Horns by Andres, "blue plug" mod for 2LO, shorty antenna, Pro Comp fog & driving lights, receiver shackle, 15% tint front windows, stainless nerf bars, Ultra Gauge, diff breather mod
    I had a 95 xtra cab before this DC I have now. I liked the longer bed on the xtra cab, but we have 2 boys (10 & 12) and the four of us couldn't go anywhere in the truck because they were so cramped in the back. Both your current truck & the red one look good. You just have to figure out what's the most important (paid for, bigger cab, bigger bed, etc). Good luck.

11. Nov 22, 2009 at 11:20 AM
    kg4ghn

kg4ghn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    GA
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner TRD Sport
    I love my double cab. When I found out I was having a second kid, I thought about getting a SUV for a minute, but I'm a truck guy. A friend of a friend told me about my (now) truck and I got it. Haven't looked back since.

12. Nov 22, 2009 at 11:32 AM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    Same here! Love the extra room inside, I was ganna get a extra cab, bc Im a carpenter, but I knew I wouldnt/dont like to haul a buch of crap in my bed for work, ect.
    So thats why I traded the bed size for the inside room. Plus Im kinda tall.:)
    But I plan on getting a new DC LB as soon as Im able. hehe

13. Nov 22, 2009 at 11:32 AM
    Werloc

Werloc Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Central, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2003 Double Cab 4X4 TRD 3.4 V6
    Yeah Chris, the CRAP I was talking about are the front Brush Guard, Nerf Bars, and rear Tail Light Guards. Take'em off an sell them on craigslist.org As much as the double cab doesn't look as good as the smaller Xtra cab, it may be more practical for you as a family man with a kid. I don't have kids, but my 29 (like a daughter to me) year old sister in-law lives with my wife and I, and she's never had issues with sitting in the back of my truck, even on longer 1+ hour rides. Also, the smaller bed may or may not be an issue. Just make yourself a list of Pros & Cons, and see what this dealer can do for you on price. Also, make sure that the timing belt was done on or around 90 to 100k, or you have another reason to bargain with the seller. Remember, it's not your bullet proof 4 cyl. Proof in writting, not their word, yeah, it was done.

14. Nov 23, 2009 at 3:36 AM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    Well, I am still in the "thinking about it" stage... I would definitely pull iff that crap on it, put REAL sliders on it. I am only hesitant because it is at a Yota dealership, I hate buying from dealers...

I always wanted an ARB bumper.

15. Nov 23, 2009 at 5:54 AM
    higherlux

higherlux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    middle of S.C.
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma 2.7l 4wd/1986 POS
    Mall crawler status
    the only thing i dont like about the double cab is there is no manual tranny option
    if they did i would probably hav one

16. Nov 23, 2009 at 5:55 AM
    higherlux

higherlux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    middle of S.C.
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma 2.7l 4wd/1986 POS
    Mall crawler status
    its a nice truck tho

17. Nov 23, 2009 at 5:57 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    if i was you i would look for an 04 double cab. its nice to have the extra seats.last year for that body.i had an 02 xcab(great truck) and it was only good to keep my jacket back there.my 08 double cab doesnt compare to the quality of an 04 double cab

18. Nov 23, 2009 at 6:04 AM
    rutherk1

rutherk1 ElPhantasmo&TheChickenRunBlastarama

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver TRD 4door
    Get a double cab. Pickup truck owners should never opt for style over functionality. My 2 kids work out really well in my double cab. The 4 year old loves it.

19. Nov 23, 2009 at 6:06 AM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    I think you should just go with a new DC long bed problem solved, you get 4 doors a long bed and a bigger truck ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top