1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What would you have done?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jdickey03, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:17 AM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    Over the years, I have learned a few things... especially having a family I need to protect. I have a small bag (Maxpedition brand) I keep in my bedroom that contains emergency supplies, a gun, extra mags/ammo, a knife (well, actually two knives), a tactical baton, 3000 lumen flashlight with xtra batteries, and other important items/documents. I know it seems impractical, but every night without fail I make sure it is ready to go next to my bed--call me anal. In the event there is an intruder or even a house fire, it's there for me to grab. Sort of like a "bug-out" bag. Just in case, I also have a shotgun in my bedroom too. It never leaves it's place. I never take it even to the range... it's always there.

2. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:32 AM
    jdickey03

jdickey03 [OP] $enior M3MB3R

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    (SOLD)2006 Tacoma trd offroad
    3" skyjacker Lift,Pioneer touch screen unit. Relentless Rear Bumper.
    yeah I guy I work with just finished his bug out bag, he printed up a list of his for me but I think i left it on my desk. I love the 20g mossberg. And I have it ready, I like it especially for my fiancee, shes not big so it's like the perfect size for her, she is still working on her accuracy so the wider spread of the shotgun would be nice, and just the initial pump of that gun should stop anyone in their tracks. As for me I love the glock in one hand and my mag lite in the other.

3. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:42 AM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    I have a small fireproof locking case I put my important "must have" documents in (birth certificates, passports, SS cards, mortgage docs, etc). A lot of people leave these in a home safe, but I want them portable so I can grab them and go if need be.

A 20g is a good choice... I'm also on the verge of buying a Taurus Public Defender that chambers the .45LC and .410 shotshell. I shot a friends and it is very nice. I have many guns but none chambered in this fashion and it seems this may be a perfect "get out of Dodge," type weapon. I typically carry my sub-compact Glock in my bag with 3 extra mags and ammo.

4. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:46 AM
    jdickey03

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    haha i just found his list, he had also emailed it to me:
    And here are the contents
    Fishing tackle:
    -splitshot weights
    -Sinker Weights
    -Marshmallows
    -Small Bobbers
    ...-Various lures
    -Hooks
    -Leader
    -Snap swivels/barrel swivels
    -220 yards of 15lb test berkley trilene
    -Collapsible 7ft pole (you can see it strapped on the outside of the bag)
    -Shimano Bantam "Citika" level wind fishing reel. (i've found it to be one of the smaller reels to pack.

Meds including:
    Albuterol Inhalor for emergencies
    4 Vicodin
    10 benadryl
    Ibuprofen
    Aleve
    325mg Aspirin
    10 Ambien to sleep
    10 Claritin
    1 Z-Pack Antibiotics
    30spf spray on sunscreen in a sharpie sized tube
    1 tube of superglue for cuts etc
    Pocket mirror in a sealed black compact (all kinds of use for this)
    Opcon-A Antihistamine eyedrops
    Chap Stick
    Surgical tape

2 "Hotties" handwarmers
    Emergency combo flashlight (LED) Radio, weatheradio, USB crank charger for phone
    1 2AA Mag-Lite LED flashlight (No its not "tactical" but it does the job EVERY time and is almost completely waterproof)
    Magnesium Firestarter
    Petroleum jelly mixed with dryer lint. 2 pill bottles crammed completely full. Only takes a teeny bit to spark with flint and start a fire quickly with dry twigs/firesticks which I also have.
    Princeton Tec Headlamp LED (Also AA batteries)
    2 Bic lighters
    2 Boxes of Coleman waterproof matches
    Swedish Firesteel sparking fire starter.
    Fire Sticks about 1/2" x 1/2" thick and they stay lit like a firelog does for a good 20 mins. or so. Effective as a base fire while you gather what you need for real fire.
    Chain Mate 36" pocket chainsaw. I can cut branches or logs up to 14 maybe 18" thick with some work. Its a workout, but most effective cutting device with the exception of a chainsaw.
    "Frontier Straw Filter" for taking water out of wherever and makes it 99.9% effective against the basic crud. 20 Gal capacity which is pretty good for a straw!
    MSR Miniworks EX water filtration setup. This thing is phenomenal at a 2k gallon capacity, completely rebuildable and easy to clean with just a sponge
    48oz collapsible Nalgene wide mouth "canteen" (this thing screws to the bottom of the MSR filter to filter directly into a container without having to think)
    96oz collapsible Nalgene canteen for a little more storage. I can also put this in the bladder area and put a hose attached to it like a camelbak or platypus.

Self containing Mess Kit
    Swiss Army Knife
    Tech Lite 230 Lumen Cree LED flashlight with strobe
    100' OD Green 7 strand 550 cord
    5" Fixed blade Buck knife and sheath
    Eating Backpacking Cutlery
    Pencil Butane Torch
    Permanent Marker
    JB Weld in very small containers
    10 pack of razor blades
    10-15 Zip ties
    Leatherman Supertool 300
    Gorilla Tape
    Mechanix Wear gloves
    Stainless Military Cup
    Road Flare (20 min.)
    Gerber Ax and sheath including a saw that inserts into the handle
    2 man camo waterproof tent including poles and stakes.
    Self inflating sleeping mats (weigh about 1.25lbs)

2 Rat Traps (I'm thinking its going to go in my survival kit instead, but I have them either way)
    Clothing from base layers to shell
    Dri-Duck Raingear in a self contained package. (these things are AWESOME! Very Dry, Very Warm, breathable and really cost effective for solid rain gear)
    Beanie
    Camo Shemagh
    Wool emergency blanket (sportsmans guide.)

3 Days worth of combo of freeze dried and bars to eat. 2 cans of SPAM, 2 mini cans of fruit

..plus whatever guns he takes along..

5. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:48 AM
    jdickey03

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    I had also looked at the Taurus Public Defender in the .410 for her. I'd like her to get her CCL but she thinks it's unneccessary. I told her just do it, become educated. Just because she has it doesn't mean she has to carry, but she'll be legal if she ever does want to.

6. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:52 AM
    TacoTabe

TacoTabe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    '93 pickup
    ^ This. Having a gun is great. Best thing to do with that gun? grab it and lock yourself in your room, as you did.

An unfortunately high number of homeowners are killed by their own weapons during home invasions. Don't go creeping around your house like some Navy SEAL looking for the bad guy- its too dangerous.

The exception to this would be if you had children; then I'd say to lock your wife/girl in your room, then go to your kid's room and lock yourself in there.

Also, never hesitate to call 911.

Not this again :rolleyes:

^ This

7. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:53 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Sounds like you did the right thing. Not sure what I would have done differently. Not sure I would have wanted my dad to show up armed at the same time as the cops though.

8. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:56 AM
    jdickey03

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I was definately hesitant about that, I think he said he ended up leaving it in the truck when he was the deputy's car outside.

Products Discussed in

To Top