1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What year Gen-2 had what issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ronopolis, May 2, 2015.

1. May 2, 2015 at 4:47 PM
    ronopolis

ronopolis [OP] Ronopolis

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '22 DCSB TRD Sport
    I'm giving my '96 Tacoma to my son in... yikes, in exactly 7 days. I'm pretty sure I'm going to wait and get a '16 Tacoma. But... I've been kicking around the idea of getting something older, with <100k miles, in good shape. I'm in no hurry, I could wait all summer looking for a good deal.

But with Gen-2, I don't want to step into a frame-rust disaster. Or the "steering shake" ("drive shake" -- whatever it is) issue. Could someone post a what years have the frame-rust issue? I read about it enough to scare me, but have never seen a nice year-by-year guide. Maybe it is already posted somewhere.

What would be great would be:

2005:
    2006: frame rust
    2007: frame rust
    2008: frame rust, drive vibration
    2009: drive vibration
    2010: some_other_thing
    2011: <etc>

Thanks.

2. May 2, 2015 at 5:15 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    from reading thread on TW all the frames rust - from personal experience all frame from 2000 - my 2000 they bought back because the frame rusted thru - that was a gen 1 - now they are replacing all the gen 2 frame.

3. May 2, 2015 at 5:16 PM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    My 2nd generation frame is completely rust free. Toyota is not replacing "ALL" the gen 2 frames.

4. May 2, 2015 at 5:25 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Every thing in every marquee has some kind of problem. Just some worse than others. Frame rust started with Gen1 trucks, it's not exclusive to Gen2. Also greatly depends on where the vehicle lived and how used.

I appreciate your interest in 'quirks' by year. But it would be helpful to mention what features you want on the truck. There may be some things that are related to motor, transmission, 4WD, certain electronic accessories, etc etc. to know about as well.

How you plan to use the truck (stock, modded, lifted etc) factor in as well.

And when someone reports an issue, ask for clarification on how the truck was modded, used, maintained. Sometimes things are related to 'user error' (mods gone wrong). Sometimes not.

As in any used vehicle shopping, once you determine must have features, nice to have features and budget, it's important to pick something that has well documented records and passes a thorough mechanical inspection.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    DoorDing likes this.
  5. May 2, 2015 at 6:06 PM
    ronopolis

ronopolis [OP] Ronopolis

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '22 DCSB TRD Sport
    Wow. This shows you how ignorant I am. I thought it was very specific, as in years 20xx through 20yy.
    I need a 6cyl, 4wd, double cab, short bed. Prefer a manual. I live in CO and would likely purchase a vehicle that has lived in CO. The truck would be used 95% of the time on pavement or snow -- short commute, or driving into the mountains to hike/bike/snowshoe/ski <== Because this is why we live in CO ;). And just a few times a year it would be off-road -- nothing serious -- to get to a semi-remote trail-head. Very little towing.

I guess the real answer is going to be: whatever I look at, I'll just need to make sure during the mechanical inspection to also look carefully and ask about frame rust.

6. May 2, 2015 at 6:19 PM
    cruxofthebisquit

cruxofthebisquit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    OME and worth every penny.
    no double cab manual:(

7. May 2, 2015 at 6:33 PM
    ronopolis

ronopolis [OP] Ronopolis

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '22 DCSB TRD Sport
    What?? Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. May 3, 2015 at 2:30 PM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    Check the frame in the rear just above the rubber snubberrs and see if it's shiny, these trucks tend to bottom out, especially if they haven't has the TSB springs installed. If it has been bottoming, count your spring leaves. stock is 2 leaves and an overload, TSB is 3 leaves and an overload.

Next, listen for ticking on acceleration, some models developed cracks in the exhaust manifold.

Products Discussed in

To Top