1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's a good price for installing coils?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Country101, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Apr 18, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    Country101

Country101 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma access cab V6 4x4 manual
    dirty truck mod, custom trailer scratch on tailgate, husky floorliners, OME Lift
    I just ordered a OME kit, but I didnt want to pay $200 to have them install the coils. I could probably do it myself, but what would a shop charge to do it? Why the heck do they think it is worth $200? Is there something hard about it other than having to get the tool from the parts store?

2. Apr 18, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Its expensive just like any other shop is. I mean why is any of their prices so high, just trying to rape people is all. I'd try it yourself if you have an extra hand that can help you.

3. Apr 18, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    If you have to compress the springs and install the whole setup it takes about 2-3 hours in a typical home garage.

Reason for higher charge on a complete set of coilovers is the charge for the top plates and bushings. They are about 30 a piece for the top plate and then cost of bushing not to mention the time to put it together. Probably 80 alone it parts.

4. Apr 18, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    Country101

Country101 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma access cab V6 4x4 manual
    dirty truck mod, custom trailer scratch on tailgate, husky floorliners, OME Lift
    Ah. Gotchya. Forgot about having to use the old top plate and bushings or buying new ones. That accounts for some of it, but crap. I will probably try it myself. My friend is going to talk to a guy tomorrow to see how much he will charge. I guess this guy does some work off and on for my friend, so we will see if it is worth it.

I have about 90k on my taco, do you think I might need new bushings if I am going to be in there anyway? I havent looked at them to see if there is any problems, but I wouldn't know what to look at anyway.

5. Apr 18, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    I just did my lift install today.

Truck is an 06 with 75K.

I like in chicago area and the rubber bushing above the top plate had some checking/cracking in it but not terrible. Was reusable.

Not sure if you are in a southern area that the rubber would be in as good of shape but it is not like they get direct sunlight.

The rubber between the top plate and the spring looked new and only slight rust on the top plate which I cleaned up and repainted.

Products Discussed in

To Top