1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's the best cheap thing you did to your 1st gen.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Dannny boy, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Mar 25, 2017 at 11:56 PM
    Dannny boy

Dannny boy [OP] Stab it and Steer

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2002 loaded salvage, and a brand newly aquired 2000
    grey wire, buzzer yank, last click defrost, tack welded column, deckplate, intake silencer delete, led map/red overhead, led backups, underhood dual battery, onboard air, CS-144 big fucking alternator, big fucking alternator wiring, overhead rifle rack, airbag pistol safe, cab to camper 12 volt evap cooler, bug screen cab windows, onboard shower, solar panel and beer fridge!
    For me it has to be tack welding that annoying knocking steering column. That and the deck plate - really woke up the 3.4.

2. Mar 26, 2017 at 1:04 AM
    Dannny boy

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    grey wire, buzzer yank, last click defrost, tack welded column, deckplate, intake silencer delete, led map/red overhead, led backups, underhood dual battery, onboard air, CS-144 big fucking alternator, big fucking alternator wiring, overhead rifle rack, airbag pistol safe, cab to camper 12 volt evap cooler, bug screen cab windows, onboard shower, solar panel and beer fridge!
    Oh, and some custom cupholders made out of a strip of aluminum road sign and some black ABS couplers. One's big enough to hold a "ballena" if you're driving the beach in baja.

3. Mar 26, 2017 at 1:13 AM
    Dannny boy

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    The grey wire is good, though I don't seem to roll in pre-runner mode much. Never really understood that, If you need 4wd you need it, if you need a locker you are in deeper, if you need more - better have some more money. The last click defrost though... Genius. Sometimes you just want some air on the windshield, just doing things the 80's way, without your AC compressor cycling.

4. Mar 26, 2017 at 1:14 AM
    because_wumbo-truck

because_wumbo-truck TTC#036 1st Degenerate Urban Off-Roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 Gordita Blanca V8 4x4 aka "Penelope"
    Sliders and bumper, DDI injectors, flowmaster 40
    Flush mount led pods as auxiliary reverse lights tapped into the reverse lights in the tails sp they come on automatically when backing up. Cost like 80 bucks at the time. Probably even cheaper now

jammer likes this.
  5. Mar 26, 2017 at 1:15 AM
    QMEDJoe

QMEDJoe Proverbs 3:5-6

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 black DLX Tacoma,5VZ-FE,5 speed,4x4.
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers in the front and Fox 2.0’s in the rear, Total Chaos UCA’s, Al-lpro expo leafs, K&N cold air intake, TRD headers,Magnaflow catback exhaust,URD short throw shifter, switched out my 60/40 bench seat for some Tacoma Limited seats, Replaced the vinyl shift boot for a leather one, completely soundproofed the cab w/ Frost King. Replaced stock radio with a Pioneer AVH series head unit. Focal component system w/a 10" sub powered by 2 Alpine amps. Weathertech floor mats. Line-X'd the bed. SCS Ray 10’s, Installed an A.R.E. MX series camper shell. All-Pro Apex front bumper w/ All-Pro skid plates all the way back to the Trans. Low Range fuel skid plate.
    Any info on tack welding the steering Column? Didn't know there was something I could do about that...:rolleyes:

Mine was sound proof the cab with Frost King and a couple cans of spray glue. Road noise was definitely minimized and my aftermarket sound system sounds a lot better! :thumbsup:

because_wumbo-truck likes this.
  6. Mar 26, 2017 at 1:15 AM
    because_wumbo-truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    I still need to do that steering mod

neatoneto likes this.
  7. Mar 26, 2017 at 1:16 AM
    because_wumbo-truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    I should do this

8. Mar 26, 2017 at 1:21 AM
    Dannny boy

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Can't remember where I ran across the column tack weld. Might have been on TTORA. Anyway you basically just remove the whole assembly and zap a couple tack welds at the 'break away' joint within your comfort zone.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  9. Mar 26, 2017 at 1:29 AM
    Dannny boy

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    My new replacement taco hasn't started in on the rattling but I'm sure it will soon, have to find that thread.

10. Mar 26, 2017 at 1:34 AM
    Dannny boy

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
  11. Mar 26, 2017 at 1:38 AM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
  12. Mar 26, 2017 at 1:47 AM
    Dannny boy

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Seems a little "techy" but I guarantee if you need it, you know it. Mine felt like driving a shopping cart with a busted wheel - rattled around on every crap piece of pavement in town.

NightProwler likes this.
  13. Mar 26, 2017 at 1:49 AM
    Dannny boy

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Other... probably a bunch I'm taking for granted. Did most everything to my old truck and now have to do them again for the new one.

14. Mar 26, 2017 at 1:50 AM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
  15. Mar 26, 2017 at 1:54 AM
    Dannny boy

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Can anyone confirm or dispute the effectiveness of the deckplate from personal experience? I did this at the same time as a spark plug change and never really knew if it made as much difference as I thought by itself.

16. Mar 26, 2017 at 1:59 AM
    Dannny boy

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    You were ahead of your time, they cost like 15 bucks now. Just put some of the 6 led bars off Amazon in the beat up stock bumper. Word of advice; observe bracket locations - I put them as far as I could to the outside and ended up doing a lot of assing around.

17. Mar 26, 2017 at 2:03 AM
    Dannny boy

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    What is frost king and where do you apply it? Spray glue? I'm picturing prying down the headliner and BLASTING a bunch of "Pretty Good Stuff" in there.[​IMG]

18. Mar 26, 2017 at 4:55 AM
    tntacomaguy

tntacomaguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm sure someone will chime in with a link. But the frost king is hvac duct insulation. About a 1/4 inch think and sticky on one side. Did it in my truck and it made a world of difference. Still need to do the doors, I've heard the doors let in more noise than the rest of the cab.

QMEDJoe likes this.
  19. Mar 26, 2017 at 9:57 AM
    candyrox1

candyrox1 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jr
    central il
    Vehicle:
    03 sr5
    the only frost king duct wrap I can find is now bubblewrap with a foil "reflective" coating. has anyone else found the butyl rubber kind or did thet stop making it? (now that I need it?)

20. Mar 26, 2017 at 10:06 AM
    jrallan26

jrallan26 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2004 White D-Cab TRD
    LED dome light because I can't see shit in the dark.......

euronut likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top