1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's the cause for difficult cold weather starts?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Moco, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Jan 22, 2014 at 9:00 AM
    Moco

Moco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    96 Regular Cab 4x4 5spd
    Hey guys,

Lately, when the temperature is below 20*, as it was this morning at 8*, my truck exhibits hard starting. The colder it is, the slower it cranks. So far, Ive been lucky, but I dont know if my luck will continue, especially if it gets colder. Today, the truck cranked slowly for about 4-5 revolutions until it finally caught and fired but I was concerned for a second.

My question is, what is the cause of this?

Is it alternator, starter, battery?

My battery is about a year old and is rated for 800 CCA. I have a new starter although its a Chinese made 'ToughOne' :(. As far as I can tell the alternator maybe OEM (190K miles). So my battery and starter are new/relatively new. Should I look at replacing the alternator as a precautionary measure or is the cause of my hard starting something else?

In warmer weather, the truck fires to life right away. By the way, Im running Mobil 1 5w-20 if that makes a difference.

2. Jan 22, 2014 at 3:12 PM
    TacoTaro

TacoTaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    King Coilovers, Light Racing UCA, OME Dakar leafs w/ extra leaf and SB10" Bilstein 7100's and a U-bolt flip. 4.56's, eLocker rear, ARB front, Marlin rear bumper, ARB Bull Bar w/ Warn M8000. BAMF Sliders. Manual hub conversion with functioning ABS. Tundra front brakes. Manual hub conversion with functioning ABS. SCS F-5's w/ 255/85 Toyo MT's
    Do you have a multimeter? If not Take it to a parts store that offers free electrical testing. Don't just start swapping parts.

3. Jan 22, 2014 at 3:18 PM
    KingDavey

KingDavey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Think about it...
    Western Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    5100s, OEM back-up cam, JVC
    cold weather= thick oil
    get battery load tested, test starter current draw
    (even a simple voltage drop test at the battery while cranking), and get an oil pan heater.

4. Jan 22, 2014 at 4:58 PM
    mkatts

mkatts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    95 Reg cab 4x4 2.7L
    it was -8 at my house this morning. my truck spun right over. its sits outside on the stteet.
    95 2.7 liter. new battery and cables. starter was on it when I I bought it. no idea how old it is.
    I would test voltage at the battery but also make sure you have clean tight cable connections at the battery, starter and negative ground points.

5. Jan 24, 2014 at 12:17 PM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    It was 2* when I left this morning, welcome to cold weather starts. As long as it turns over. As stated, anything becomes thicker when it's colder, that's why dyno testing is always done at "operating temperature", basically warmed up.

mine has never started on the first turn, usually on the third rev it fires to life and it's definitely slower turning. I'm even running Mobil1 5W-30 synthetic

Products Discussed in

To Top