1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Whats the deal with the calipers?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Big Guns, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Feb 12, 2008 at 10:15 AM
    Big Guns

Big Guns [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 4.0L Indigo Blue
    Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, Black Headlight Mod, DO Rock Sliders
    So i have been looking around at many diff aftermarket wheels to run, but keep running into the same problem. Most people i talk to say that i cannot run a 16" wheel because it will not clear the caliper. Some say that i can, and others say it depends on the wheel. I have a NON TRD 07 PreRunner and am very confused. I have read threads on a few forums regarding the matter but keep getting the same run around. I want to run a 16" due to more tire options and lower tire prices, but i dont want to run a heavy steelie. I was looking at ATX Teflons namely the mojace or chamber, but dont really want to bump up to a 17".

So is it possible to run a 16" on my truck and clear the calipers? If it depends on manufacturer, maybe throw out some names that will clear?

I just want to get a solid answer before i spend a heap of cash on some wheels and tires only to find they dont fit or i could have run a smaller wheel.

2. Feb 12, 2008 at 1:34 PM
    Bill in Ky

Bill in Ky Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bright White 08 Reg 4X4 2.7 5spd SR5
    I got my first 4x4 in 1972...haven't been without one! I still like Chrome!
    I wanted 16x8 chrome spoke wheels for my Tacoma. Like you I read everything I could find and talked to alot of wheel makers. No one knew anything. No one had these wheels locally. I found the wheels I wanted at Summit Racing, I called and talked to tech support. They let me order one wheel to check for fit stating that if it didn't fit they would send a pick-up order for it and refund my money.
    I ended up making 1/8"steel spacers and still having to grind the caliper some.
    If you can find the wheels you like locally I would have them try one and see if it fits.
    Good luck.

3. Feb 13, 2008 at 12:28 AM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
  4. Feb 14, 2008 at 11:21 AM
    Big Guns

Big Guns [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 4.0L Indigo Blue
    Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, Black Headlight Mod, DO Rock Sliders
    See, i have read that thread as i am a TTORA member also, and thats why i was going to go with the ATX Chambers. Dealers and AR say they wont fit, but people are running them without issue so maybe ill just bite the bullet. Maybe i can get a test fit before i buy em.

5. Feb 14, 2009 at 7:20 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    i'll let you know in a few days. 4 each of these (1st 2 pics) will be here wednesday. the 3rd pic is the chamber pro,,, bad ass mo fo right there and it will fit

atx_chamber_bt_ci3_l.jpg
    km2.jpg
    chamber 39887.jpg

6. Feb 22, 2009 at 12:09 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    yep they fit nicely on my truck, 17x9 on 33" km2's

chamber1.jpg
    chamber2.jpg
    c3.jpg

Products Discussed in