1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

whats the difference between A-TRAC and a Locking diff?

Discussion in 'New Members' started by zfisher89, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Jan 31, 2010 at 10:25 AM
    zfisher89

zfisher89 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    zach
    RVA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    6" procomp,alcan rear springs, lots more to come
    Just tryin to understand the difference between a locking diff an A-TRAC, i have an 09 with A-TRAC, witch is better?:confused:

2. Jan 31, 2010 at 10:39 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    welcome....as far as the US models, the only vehicles w/ ATRAC are the TRD ORs. if u are anything other than TRD OR, ie TRD sport, sr5....then u have the TRAC system. there are many threads on here explaining the purposes for these and when to use them

3. Jan 31, 2010 at 10:58 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to TW!

4. Feb 1, 2010 at 8:09 AM
    zfisher89

zfisher89 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    zach
    RVA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    6" procomp,alcan rear springs, lots more to come
    okay thanks

5. Feb 1, 2010 at 2:56 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Welcome to TW!

I believe it works the same for the Taco.

http://www.toyota.com/fjcruiser/demos.html

As far as a locker it locks the rear wheels so they spin at the same speed regardless if one is up in the air, has no traction, or is hooked really well.

6. Feb 2, 2010 at 12:01 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    As far as which is better is a matter of opinion/situation. I prefer locker but I can see the advantage to atrac.

7. Feb 9, 2010 at 10:14 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Hi,

As a 3 time Tacoma owner ('01, '05, '10), with the first two having the locker and the new one having both the locker and A-TRAC... and I was REAL curious about how they worked different from each other and what they would do... I HAD to make up this big signature and post a thread in the tech forum... did you see it?: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/te...uto-lsd-explained-easy-understand-i-hope.html

Next time you go into L4... push the A-TRAC button... and just leave it that way. Every time you go into L4, the A-TRAC will be on. Just like TRAC is on in H4 and H2. The limited slip action is far superior to open differentials for traction in off road conditions. For some reason, the A-TRAC is a late feature for the Tacoma... as the FJ Cruiser and Lexus SUVs had it before. So, the 'normal' L4 mode is open differentials... and they added the A-TRAC switch in 2009.

A-TRAC is a 'stronger' limited slip than TRAC and is pretty close if not almost the same traction as lockers, front and rear... Except that you can easily steer with A-TRAC for negotiating narrow trails! See the video clips on the FJ Cruiser page on Toyota.com. A-TRAC does make noise from using the brakes heavily to force traction to the tires with grip from the tires that slip.

Now, you only should need the locking rear IF you get stuck using A-TRAC... as a final last resort... But, you do have it... and can use it with (or without) A-TRAC.

Enjoy!

8. Feb 9, 2010 at 10:48 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    Welcome to TW zfisher89.

ATRAC is a real benefit in most off-road low-speed situations. You'll find it really helpful and far more useful then the rear locker in most situations. The rear locker is really a "save your ass" measure that you'll be thankful for when the time comes.. and if it never comes then you're really not enjoying your 4WD system to it's fullest!

Cheers!

Products Discussed in

To Top