1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's the strangest/weirdest/craziest thing you have encountered while off-roading?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by RogueTRD, Jun 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 18, 2014 at 2:29 PM
    la0d0g

la0d0g Its 4 o’clock somewhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    Your two statements seem to contradict.

Additionally isn't it harder to remove trash from the bottom of a hill?

2. Sep 18, 2014 at 2:35 PM
    shore990

shore990 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road
    By "sort of in-tact" I meant the engine/drivetrain/doors were still attached. It was trashed by all standards.

The trash/truck isn't getting out of there anytime regardless of whether it's at the bottom of a valley or not. It would be impossible to tow it out. A wildfire or mother nature will be recycling it. Makes zero difference if we moved it down a hill.

Sorry if this upsets you, it's a thread about the weird things we've seen on trail. An abandoned, half stripped vehicle is pretty weird.

3. Sep 18, 2014 at 2:39 PM
    la0d0g

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    Doesn't upset me. When I read your first post I thought about the scenario where the owner comes back with some tires to throw on it and drive it out and now its sitting at the bottom of the hill with him standing there thinking WTF. But if it was fuckered up that's a different thing.

4. Sep 18, 2014 at 2:47 PM
    shore990

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road
    Oh no. It was pretty destroyed in any functional sense. Like, it had been up there for quite some time and other people had slowly destroyed it.

Someone had a bad day and just said, "F this" and left it behind. I honestly don't know what you could do if you had a major failure that remote in the mountains.

Funny thing was we drove up on some other guys in a Cherokee that tried to drive across a river and totally flooded everything in their Jeep. We helped them as much as we could, but couldn't help thinking that their Jeep would be left down there the next time we wheel there.

5. Sep 18, 2014 at 2:57 PM
    la0d0g

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    :thumbsup:

Agreed. This is why I drive Toyotas. To hopefully minimize the chance of catastrophic failure caused by non-negligent driving in the wilderness.

6. Sep 18, 2014 at 5:23 PM
    AWF ROWD

AWF ROWD ...eats at the " Y " often....

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    40.102° N, 82.804° W
    Vehicle:
    '13 BLOWN 4X4 Sport
    TRD Supercharger, Walbro 255 FP Upgrade, aFe Stage 2 si CAI, TRD Acrylic cover by Coupe ADD 1 OIL Catch can/SS hoses, TRD cat back exhaust, URD 2.8" Stealth pulley, 3" lift, Toytec/Bilstein C/O's, Toytec Progressive AAL's, LR UCA's, 5100 Rear Billies, Bi-Xenon HID BHLM Retro's w/ Halos RED LINE Tuning Hood Rods Swaybar Relocate, Line X'd Bull Guard/Step, Hitch, Craven Speed Dual Gauge mount, AEM Boost/AFR Gauges, Windows 20% tint, Weather Tech deflectors, GrillCraft upper and lower, Tacoma Raptor letters, LED Interior/Exterior lighting, Lund 6" Color Matched Oval Side Bars, Webasto 700 II sunroof, Heated Two toned custom leather TRD logo'd, Kenwood Multimedia 6990 HD head unit ,JL Stealthbox sub, Hertz Component speakers,, Entire cab damped with hushmat, Viper Security/Remote start, Weather Tech Liners, Blackened exterior LED Lights, Undercover Top w/LED's, Carbon fiber TRD windshield decal,, TRD stitched leather shift knob, TRD steering wheel emblem,
    Exactly why I rarely leave Mall parking lots......

7. Sep 18, 2014 at 5:29 PM
    shore990

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road
    :rimshot:

8. Sep 18, 2014 at 6:36 PM
    JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB TRD OR S/C
    TRD supercharger, TRD exhaust, skids, sliders
    On Hackett Gulch?

9. Sep 19, 2014 at 7:00 AM
    shore990

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road
    Ha, yeah.

10. Sep 19, 2014 at 10:55 PM
    Goldfinger

Goldfinger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    1994 Xcab Pickup truggy
    Exo cage, dual transfer cases (one with 4.7), Alcan springs, 39.5 TSL's, Longfield birfs and axles.
    It's great that you posted about your vandalism. Teller County Sherrifs Office is looking for the people that rolled it down the hill.
    Rule of thumb, if its not yours, don't fuck with it.

11. Sep 19, 2014 at 11:25 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Me & another member (05offroad) made a late night run out to Pine Valley/Bear Valley here in San Diego, we left about midnight after Mikey got off work, moonless night, dark as hell, we stopped at the helo port to take a break,check things out, we heard some far off voices faintly, sounded almost like chanting so we walked to the edge of the port & looked down into the valley & saw what appeared to be about 20 people in various stages of disrobing dancing around a fire in a circle, Mike says " WTF is up with that ?" I said " Just throwing it out there, but 99% sure its a devil worship thing." & knowing the area & having heard/experienced things of that nature before, I'm sure thats what it was...We left pretty quick after that...

12. Sep 19, 2014 at 11:25 PM
    BryanCO

BryanCO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Pinedale WY
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DCSB
    Haha :popcorn:I have probably committed senseless vandalism when I was younger. I wouldn't report it on a forum where people generally practice LNT ethics. And I just wouldn't do it.

13. Sep 19, 2014 at 11:52 PM
    Newlife

Newlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 t4r orp
    Bone f’n stock for now

How long ago was this? From the looks of that pic those bullet holes look fresh. No rust in the exposed metals. I know desert but still some sort of condensation right? Also what is that at the bottom right corner near rear driver tire? Looks like blood.

Edit: Just noticed some of the holes in the hood look to be coming toward the camera so return fire? Either way creepy as hell. I would have got what I could of the vin and called.

14. Sep 20, 2014 at 4:27 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    You guys DO bring up a morality moment, say you're on a trail you frequent, as such you make it a habit of picking up trash along the way that some thoughtless fucks have left behind, you already have a fair amount of trash in the back of your truck when you come upon a truck that has obviously rolled/totaled, had parts removed & has been there for quite awhile(say 6 months to a year) the leafsprings are still there & 1 shock hangs by 1 bolt, plus theres a debris field of broken plastic bent metal laying around the truck, what do you do ?? Do you stop to pick up the pieces around the truck to add to your trash pile & continue on ? Or do you just keep going past the truck continuing to pick up other trash along the way to trails end ??

15. Sep 20, 2014 at 4:40 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
  16. Sep 20, 2014 at 7:10 AM
    lotsoftoys

lotsoftoys pavement is boring....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap
    you sir, you're a moron^. your the exact reason why trails get closed down. idiots like who decide to ruin vehicles, or make the problem worse by rolling it down the hill. why even touch it? just report it when u exit the trail. but no, your asshattery kicked in. Dumbass

17. Sep 20, 2014 at 7:52 AM
    DaleD

DaleD Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Take a guess.
    Colorado Springs
    What an asshole...

And Hackett is far from the middle of nowhere Moron

18. Sep 20, 2014 at 8:11 AM
    Goldfinger

Goldfinger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    1994 Xcab Pickup truggy
    Exo cage, dual transfer cases (one with 4.7), Alcan springs, 39.5 TSL's, Longfield birfs and axles.
    In Colorado, every trail is adopted by some organization. We contact that organization, they contact the authourities and everyone organizes a retrieval of that vehicle.

19. Sep 20, 2014 at 8:11 AM
    JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB TRD OR S/C
    I'm guessing shore990 is a young man who hasn't had enough life experience to see the error in he and his buddies' actions.

Young men sometimes learn life lessons the hard way. If the worst shore990 sees from this is the tongue-lashings on this forum, he should consider himself EXTREMELY lucky. Have first hand knowledge (as other responsible, mature offroaders have) of folks receiving court-ordered fines and community service for actions they documented on the internet.

I've also see those who fall into the responsible, mature offroader group execute (with the Forest Service and/or local law enforcement approval/supervision) the removal of such vehicles from remote areas. It is very hard work, which is why it is usually only done by those 1%ers in this community who are committed to keeping trails open for all to enjoy. The FS/local police do not have the budgets to pay for the removals, which is typically why they aren't removed when first reported (there are other factors, of course). But when the 1%ers find out, they rally the effort to make it happen. When folks with a limited view of the situation roll the vehicle down the hill, it does nothing to help the situation (a situation they assumed didn't exist, which is the removal of the vehicle).

Good luck shore990... you might need it.

20. Sep 20, 2014 at 8:20 AM
    JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB TRD OR S/C
    Just a passing thought shore990 (and know IANAL)...

If you are contacted by law enforcement, you may want to offer your undying support to help remove the vehicle in exchange for any charges being dropped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top