1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Whats up with these California catalytic convertors?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by yrmzzi, Aug 2, 2022.

1. Aug 2, 2022 at 9:28 PM
    yrmzzi

yrmzzi [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma V6 - 4X4
    I ordered a new catalytic convertor for my truck. 2001 Toyota Tacoma V6, 3.4L, for the upper Cat on my 1st gen Tacoma. OBDII code "p0420 is on Last one I installed was back in 2012 and I don't remember having this issue then:

I ordered the first one from eBay and showed it to a muffler shop/smog place in San Diego CALIFORNIA and they said it looked "modified" therefore illegal to install in the state of CALIFORNIA..

The eBay seller for this catalytic convertor gave me a refund because I mentioned this and told me to keep the item. I assumed the worst and that maybe the catalytic convertor he sold me was possibly stolen or something....

Then I ordered a subsequent brand new in box catalytic convertor, same model from carID.com and it looks identical to the one from before. I am CONFUSED now.. are these legit catalytic convertors for California?? I paid $300+ shipping for both of these. Is this just how they come maybe? Could the smog shop in San Diego be mistaken? I thought carID.com was a big enough operation that they seemed legit.
    They both came in the same box and have the same paper work with them and look the same

I have no idea. Not familiar. I really would like to have a catalytic convertor put in ASAP because my check engine light is on. Please help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Aug 2, 2022 at 9:40 PM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Chief Executive Officer at Kwik Fab

Member:
    Stock
    Man, someone had fun welding that shit.

Ran hot with wire speed to boot; look at all those dingleberries!

2004Taco and Lil Puke like this.
  3. Aug 2, 2022 at 9:51 PM
    whatstcp

whatstcp currently drunk so don't listen to me

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7l 4x4
    King + Archive Relocation Wheeler's bumps +hydros
    What is the exact link to this converter? Is there a manufacturer contact info listed somewhere? The carb number and part number are a match for AP Exhaust out of North Carolina and on their website it looks exactly the same. If anything, it's just a crappily welded cat. Shops are just paranoid about welding on outside parts and/or like the chance to sell you their own parts at a higher price.

If the AP Exhaust brand is listed somewhere, I would consider it pretty legit. I would maybe even email them these photos and who you bought them from to double check their authenticity. At which point you'll still need to find someone to weld them on but at least you know you're legit

Their website part search, use the number on the cat of 912009
    http://www.showmetheparts.com/apexhaustmobile/

Official cal gov off for carb code d-798-7 which is also on the cat. On this form it lists the manufacturer, the approved status, the giant list of part numbers and their application where you will find 912009 under your 2001 Tacoma
    http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/d-798-7.pdf

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  4. Aug 3, 2022 at 5:35 AM
    Bivouac

Bivouac Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Lehigh Valley Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 5 speed 3.4
    Remains to be seen I bought the tires and wheels the rest came along
    Trigger puller 3rd class not a welder!!

yrmzzi[OP] and Kwikvette[QUOTED] like this.
  5. Aug 3, 2022 at 5:40 AM
    Bivouac

Bivouac Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Lehigh Valley Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 5 speed 3.4
    Remains to be seen I bought the tires and wheels the rest came along
    Did The Shop ask you to supply your own parts?

It is a very rare shop that will install customer supplied parts.

If they also sell the same parts.

yrmzzi[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  6. Aug 3, 2022 at 5:49 AM
    Jakuku Pahwheenis

Jakuku Pahwheenis i provide useless forum contributions

Member:
    First Name:
    J Phoenix
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 Xtracab 2.7L 3RZ-FE 4x4 manual 245K+ miles
    **catless exhaust noises**

7. Aug 3, 2022 at 6:20 AM
    02hilux

02hilux Paved roads not required

Member:
    Planet: EARTH
    First of all, those cats are not CARB compliance, that's why the shop refused to install. There's no carb eo stamp. Second, IIRC, there's 2 maybe 3 brand that is legal for California use: magnaflow & calcat, maybe a third?

There's alot of fake for CA use when buying from fleebay, Amazon, or through another vendor. Dont use their "will fit your vehicle" or so-call "California legal"

It definitely look sketchy. Seemed like someone took a non-compliance cat, created a shield and engraved a carb eo# for it and weld it on.

These 2 part should for your vehicle. Check your engine family number to confirmed fitment:
    -Magnaflow universal front cat #447175 CARB EO# D-193-103 for engine family # 1TYXT03.4FFP cost more than $400.
    -Magnaflow direct fit cat #447185 CARB EO# D-193-103 for engine family # 1TYXT03.4FFP cost more than $1200.

Bivouac likes this.
  8. Aug 3, 2022 at 6:51 AM
    02hilux

02hilux Paved roads not required

Member:
    Planet: EARTH
    A quick CARB EO search and shows AP exhaust part number 912009 should be stamped with EO#D-280-101, not D798-7.

See link: https://arb.parts/Vehicle/2001/Toyota/Tacoma

When search CARB EO#D798-7, it shows that number is approved for AP exhaust use but don't list an associate part number or what is for. Meaning the EO# is CARB compliance but not tied to any aftermarket AP exhaust parts yet.

But a search with autozone with AP exhaust part number, it shows 912009 is not compatible with your 2001 5vz. When searching through what fit, autozone don't list AP exhaust as having a CA legal front cat. And Amazon won't ship that AP part number to California.

Screenshot_20220803-063414_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220803-063947_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  9. Aug 3, 2022 at 12:36 PM
    yrmzzi

yrmzzi [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma V6 - 4X4
    Turns out https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/AftermarketParts/catalysts is the official website for the California Air Resource Board parts check/look up.

arb.parts appears to be third party

Good news tho, I have found a match with the California Air Resource Board site. This is the live info from the CARB as of 8/3/22 at 3:33PM

[​IMG]

And also according to Hans Borneby, CARB contact at AP Exhaust who responded back to me "The part is not modified, it is manufactured as intended for the application. If your vehicle’s Test Group (EFN) is 1TYXT03.4FFP, 912009 is a legal part for your 2001 3.4L Tacoma."

So for any one researching this in the future always triple check all of this before install on your truck because the smog folks will FAIL you if everything isn't PERFECT. You might also have to show the smog folks this kind of proof too.

Its a pain but by California law these Cats have to come with a seven year or 70,000 mile warranty. My last one lasted for 12 years.

-yrmzzi

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    Bivouac and Kwikvette like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top