1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's wrong with my 4x4???

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by LHAHN07, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Dec 23, 2007 at 3:10 PM
    LHAHN07

LHAHN07 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    02 Stepside TRD 4x4 SR5
    AEM intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Summit Racing leveling kit, Westin stanless steel Bull Bar, Line-X bedliner, B&M shifter, Performance Products stainless sidesteps, grey wire mod, more parts on the way!
    I have a 2002 Taco TRD and when its locked in 4 wheel drive, Something goes wrong... If I go around a corner, something gets tight and the truck will stop moving all together. If I'm in snow or rain the front wheels will "hop" around and if they can't "hop" then the truck will stop moving. I have to rev the engine a little and sometimes dump the clutch to spin a wheel to get moving again. Anyone else have this trouble? Does anybody know how to fix it???:eek:

2. Dec 23, 2007 at 4:31 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    ARE Topper, Icon aal, OEM Audio+
    Not sure..I know if tire sizes are different binding will ocurr,same as if diff. gears are not the same front to rear...maybe the joint(cv?)in the front axle?Lots of knowledge at this site,sure you`ll get better replies.LOL

3. Dec 23, 2007 at 5:13 PM
    LHAHN07

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    02 Stepside TRD 4x4 SR5
    AEM intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Summit Racing leveling kit, Westin stanless steel Bull Bar, Line-X bedliner, B&M shifter, Performance Products stainless sidesteps, grey wire mod, more parts on the way!
    Everthing in the drivetrain is factory. The tires are all the same size and pressure too...:confused:

4. Dec 23, 2007 at 6:35 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    It's acting like a "straight" axle, sounds like in your front diff. something is not allowing one side to have limited slip, is there any excessive wear on one of the front tires ? Check the front diff to see if there is oil in it. Unscrew the plug and stick your finger in, you should just be able to touch the oil level. The front diff might have ceased. Tacoman350 is pretty damn smart, give him a yell.

5. Dec 24, 2007 at 6:38 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    When you're turning - how tight are you turning?

You should never use 4WD on dry pavement.
    You should never make tight turns in 4WD either.
    Even if the pavement is wet - you should avoid making tight & slow moving turns.

Since you've got the rear-end locked, again - avoid making tight turns (especially slow moving ones). DON'T FORCE IT!! You're experiencing gear & cv joint binding. Don't force it...or you could actually be creating damage.

Whatever it is that you're doing - stop - and put it into 2WD and make your turns and see how that goes. If you need to be in 4WD, unlock the rear diff and try it again.

6. Dec 24, 2007 at 9:49 AM
    LHAHN07

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    02 Stepside TRD 4x4 SR5
    All of this is happening with the rear diff. unlocked. I just changed the oil in the front diff. to Redline synthetic. And it happened before I changed it too. I don't understand why its doing it in the snow. It was a kinda sharp turn though...:confused:

7. Dec 24, 2007 at 10:27 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    What were you doing? Turning into a parking space? Or...??

How close to full steering lock were you?

How fast were you traveling?

Making tight turns in 4WD is not a good idea...locked or unlocked. You're causing gear bind and can create stress on your CV joints. The truck will buck & hop and not want to move... Don't force it.

8. Dec 24, 2007 at 12:03 PM
    2003greenbean

2003greenbean Carolina Alliance Costal Div

Member:
    socaste,sc
    Vehicle:
    03 trd
    cold air intake, step bars, custom grill, 3in lift,12 in audiobahn sub, 285/75/16 procomp tires, 20% tint,
    it called bumb steer it always happens in 4wd you front tires are trying to pull the truck forward and you are fighting agenst that to turn if your parking or something put it back in 2wd

Products Discussed in

To Top