1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

wheel "clicking"

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacomaman96, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Feb 24, 2008 at 9:52 PM
    tacomaman96

tacomaman96 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 stock 2.7l reg cab
    glad to say I have my 96 2wd back on the road after a front end wreck, I'll upload pics of before and after when i get a chance.

here's the question. it's a 1996 2wd 2.7l 4cyl taco. one of the wheels (believe it's the rear passenger side) has a constant "clicking" sound coming from it usually only audible at lower speeeds. sometimes there and sometimes goes away. My wife has taken it to three different mechanics who have all told her that she's crazy and there's no "clicking" these people must be dumb because it's very loud and obnoxious when driving down the road. what could this be? I have all the tools to fix this myself, just not much experience working on this truck. u joint? cv? any suggestions?

2. Feb 26, 2008 at 12:48 PM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    Check your rear brake. If its got drums brakes on the back you may have a shoe that is not correctly adjusted or if its disc brakes may be time for some new pads.

Doesn't really sound like what your describing is the brakes but its somewhere to start

3. Feb 27, 2008 at 10:49 PM
    tacomaman96

tacomaman96 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 stock 2.7l reg cab
    no I haven't seen any oil leaking from the rear wheels and yes they are drums in the rear but i have had the rear brakes done before and after the clicking and that never changed anything. been about 6 months since the last brake job now but this has been going on much longer. Should I just tear into the brakes myself, I've got the tools to do the job and manuals to walk me through it. It's an old truck, should i just go ahead and replace the wheel bearing anyway and see if that does the trick? any more suggestions or tips to taking the rear brakes/ wheel bearing apart would help, thanks

4. Mar 1, 2008 at 10:00 AM
    DefyInertia

DefyInertia Saratogian

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    '05 DCLB 4x4 SR5#8 (white)
    Toytec Ultimate: ~3" up front via coil overs, LR UCAs, and SB delete; 2+ out back with AAL and new shocks. Leer cap, padded sleeping platform in bed
    I get a similar clicking. It almost sounds like there is a a piece of metal stuck to the tire that keeps smacking the pavement with every revolution, right?

5. Mar 2, 2008 at 11:20 AM
    tacomaman96

tacomaman96 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 stock 2.7l reg cab
    yes that sounds like you're talking about the same thing I have

6. Mar 2, 2008 at 1:13 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    this probably isn't the problem you are having, or you may have already checked for this...but just in case, give your tire a thorough inspection, and see if there is anything stuck in the tread. i felt like an idiot once because i had a similar clicking noise, and i checked for a rock that could be stuck between the tread, but didn't find anything. it was only later that my buddy suggested i give it another inspection and look for anything, not just a rock...go figure, it was a black piece of asphalt. needless to say, i felt pretty dumb. good luck, and i hope oyur problem is as easy to fix as mine.

7. Mar 2, 2008 at 11:40 PM
    tacomaman96

tacomaman96 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 stock 2.7l reg cab
    thanks but definately not the tires, I've inspected them, and also changed them twice.

8. Mar 6, 2008 at 1:40 PM
    08beachtoy

08beachtoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    08' reg cab 4x4 2.7ltr 5 spd
    Sony cd player /ipod , small amp, bed mat from Dee Zee , A.R.E. custom cap with yakima racks, weather gaurd floor mats , oem fog lights ,oem DRL mod, class III hitch ,custom bed mounted power inverter, tinted windows 5 % all around, oem hood protector /bugshield , avs door visors ,wet okole seat covers , Train air horn
    now this is gonna sound real stupid but couldnt help but post it I had a 98 tacoma 2wd and it had a tendency of ruining hub caps while driving at highway speeds 70+ I would know because they would begin to make a clicking noise at low speeds once they were cracked . I would reccomend pulling the hub caps and drive it see if the noise is gone may not be it but thought I would share

9. Mar 7, 2008 at 6:20 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Are you sure it's coming from the rear? Or even from the wheel?

Does it stop clicking when you step on the brakes?

Is it clicking with wheel speed or slower than that?

Have you inspected your driveshaft?

10. Mar 9, 2008 at 9:07 PM
    tacomaman96

tacomaman96 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 stock 2.7l reg cab
    it is not the hubcaps because I lost those years ago and never bothered to buy new ones. yes it does change with wheel speed, only it seems to go away at faster speeds, maybe just because of road noise at higher speeds itt just seems to go away but as I slow down say on the freeway off-ramp as i slow it gets louder and louder and matches the speed of the wheels rotating. it's the loudest at near zero speed and gets quieter as I accelerate. mechanics can't ever find it but it's obvious to me. guess I should just have the wheel bearings replaced anyway since I can't recall ever having them changed.

Products Discussed in

To Top