1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel Spacers for 5 lug

Discussion in '5 Lug' started by navin, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Apr 3, 2014 at 9:02 PM
    navin

navin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anyone running spacers and stock steelies? Pics and dimensions if you know them please.

2. Apr 4, 2014 at 3:32 PM
    navin

Member:
    Well, according to my measurements, the stockers are tucked about 1.25 further than just about right IMO. I had been running a set of Mustang wheels on it and measured both off the rotor. The Stang wheels were at just the right offset for my tastes. Not sticking out, not buried under the body.

Considering a 1.25 hub centric spacer next, keeps the TPS functioning for sure, the wheels, eh.

Thinking about 15 x 7 steelies, but will the TPS swap over... To be continued!

3. Apr 6, 2014 at 8:14 AM
    jtye

jtye Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    DC
    Vehicle:
    08 Super White 5 lug
    Fog lights, fatbob's 5lug lift, Cragar 15x7, 31x10.5 Gen.Grabbers, Wet Okole
    I've got a set of 15 x 7 steel wheels that bolt up without any spacers or anything, but the TPS will not swap over. I'm just running them with the light on.

Here are the wheels http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/5-lug/306453-straight-bolt-black-rims-no-mods.html

4. Apr 6, 2014 at 2:59 PM
    navin

Member:
    You truck looks great. I'm probably going to stick with the stock wheels and suspension. I ran the bigger Mustang wheels for a bit, they are 1.5" taller and I could feel the already tall gearing even more.

I ordered a set of 1.25" spacers to bump the wheels out, less homely looking is my only hope. They made the body so friggin massive, I wish it was still a tiny truck honestly. It doesn't have any more space inside the cab or bed than the 88.5 Isuzu or 93 Tacoma minis I owned previously, it just is enormous outside.

I'm not going for the off road look, I have a dedicated off road JK in the family that I built, chopped fenders, camo paint and 37" tires on 4.88 gears. It is a beast off road. This I just want to look normal to me, like light duty hauler, not a truck body on a corolla. :eek:

I'm already thinking I need to gear it lower with stock tires for my needs.

5. Apr 9, 2014 at 12:56 PM
    navin

Member:
    Installed a nice set of 1.25 spacers on all 4 wheels. Pulled the wheels out to what looks "normal" for a stock vehicle.

[​IMG]

6. Apr 15, 2014 at 5:12 PM
    justinh384

justinh384 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Wrightsville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Toyota Tacoma SR
    What spacers did you use and where did you get them from? I'm thinking of installing spacers along with new 235 75r15 tires for more of a truck look.

7. Apr 15, 2014 at 5:18 PM
    navin

Member:
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Apr 15, 2014 at 5:25 PM
    justinh384

justinh384 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Wrightsville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Toyota Tacoma SR
    Do you think the tire shop would give me any trouble about those?

9. Apr 15, 2014 at 5:31 PM
    navin

Member:
    I can't think of a reason why they would. I used lock tite on the hub studs. Check the surface for any grit/rust where they meet the hub/drum. Torque everything in a star pattern and you can recheck the torque after 2-500 miles just to be safe.

10. Jul 19, 2015 at 1:49 PM
    htioki

htioki Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Access Cab, base, 5-speed MT
    Do the wheels stick out of the fender? Do you have pic from the front or rear? I'm debating if I should go with a 1" or 1.25".

11. Jul 20, 2015 at 6:57 AM
    navin

Member:
    I have 31/10.5 on them so the rubber sticks out slightly, but with stock tires the wheels and tires are still covered by the fenders, looks "normal" and stock where you know how it looks as delivered. Lol.

12. Jul 20, 2015 at 8:49 AM
    htioki

htioki Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Access Cab, base, 5-speed MT
    Oh OK. I'm planning on using stock rubbers until they're worn out. In the future I'll probably put slightly taller tires with 225 or 235 width. I like the stock height and have no plans on putting a lift on the truck, mainly to make it easy to load and unload stuff to and from the bed. My previous truck was a pre-runner Frontier with a small lift and there were several occasions where the height caused some difficulties to load the bed (I'm getting old).

13. Sep 25, 2015 at 7:46 AM
    SleazyPetey

SleazyPetey Popeyes > KFC

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab
    Bump. And one question: Are the wheels tucked in the body because the wheels are just small? Or is the truck itself built to have tucked in wheels

14. Sep 25, 2015 at 2:35 PM
    HackD

HackD Marching to the Beat of a Different Drum

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, eh?
    Vehicle:
    2010 Base 4x2, 2.7L, 5 speed manual 5-lug Slug
    Gone over the Top for a 5-lug..
    I believe it's an appearance follows designed function issue.

Obviously our second generation trucks are cheap strippers, in comparison to the rest of the Tacoma line-up. It's definitely more car-like than the rest of the line-up, off the dealer lot. I'm thinking that it was purposefully designed this way so as to not scavenge sales from Toyota's more spendy 4x2 Pre-runners, and the 4x4 line-up .. more profit to be had that way. Our vehicles were primarily marketed to fleet managers, and those buying strictly to the walk-in budget-buyer's bottom end monthly payment abilities .. not to the average Joe Q Public. If you walked into the lot, and asked about buying a Tacoma, they would generally assume you were going 4x4, or going home. I never saw a Tacoma base assuming a place of pride in the indoor show-room of the local dealers, or even near to the front of the outside lot.

Toyota purposely built them to not be easily upgradable - at least for the 2nd Generation, IMHO.

The local parts monkey or hourly service technician doesn't need anything fancy to get from Point A to Customer or parts depot, and back .. just a vehicle to carry his/her tools, and the occasional bulky component or pile of cardboard boxes in the back bed. 4x4 is strictly useless to the average business trying to keep costs down, and the profit margin up. These are economical business vehicles primarily, with the minimal running gear necessary to conduct business. Pleasure is defined in the higher model trim packages and drive-train options... both from a marketing and sales perspective.

Added bonus, is that the higher trim package owners get to look down upon ours, and sniff "not a real truck" ... it actively drives the sales to the models that really make profit for Toyota. Actually quite clever marketing, if you think about it.

Then you get us cheap-skates, who'll make it work .. one way or another, given it's limitations. I ain't getting rid of mine, any time soon.

The 3rd generation has eliminated the 5-lug stripper option .. and also driven the base model Tacoma out of the range of affordability for the customer that might be humble of financial means. They've stream-lined and economized two parts-sourcing and warehousing channels to one, in the process .. economizing at the manufacturing level, but also cutting out the low-end potential customer in the process.

More on direct topic .. I too am looking at spacers - in the future. It'd be nice to widen the track out a bit.. but with that comes potential reduced lifespan in suspension components and axle bearings, and possible spacer component failure if not installed correctly, or abused beyond their metallurgical limitations.

I posted up a few inquiries on this topic, in this thread .. no input so far. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/5-lug-wheel-spacers.386115/

With my particular aftermarket rim combination, i have a few complicators to address related to adaptive components that i need to thoroughly investigate, before i make my VISA scream further.

Navelfunk likes this.
  15. Sep 25, 2015 at 3:48 PM
    SleazyPetey

SleazyPetey Popeyes > KFC

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab
    HackD has an answer for anything. Thanks :)

16. Sep 25, 2015 at 4:16 PM
    HackD

HackD Marching to the Beat of a Different Drum

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, eh?
    Vehicle:
    2010 Base 4x2, 2.7L, 5 speed manual 5-lug Slug
    Gone over the Top for a 5-lug..
    Not necessarily an answer for everything, but definitely an opinion on everything o_O

Products Discussed in

To Top