1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel Spacers...Pros/cons?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by gmatt21, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Feb 20, 2018 at 9:08 PM
    gmatt21

gmatt21 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 White TRD SPORT 4x4
    Anyone know how spacing wheels wider affects gas mileage? any other pros/cons?

2. Feb 21, 2018 at 7:06 AM
    Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma 2.7 SR 4x4
    You're gonna wear out your wheel bearings faster, but the same thing would happen if you went with wheels that had a greater offset. So, if you want to keep your stock wheels and want a wider stance rather than buying new wheels, I say go for it. If I didn't daily drive my truck I'd be doing it too.

cblow5 likes this.
  3. Feb 21, 2018 at 9:41 AM
    pjensen641

pjensen641 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boone, IA
    Vehicle:
    '17 MGM ACLB Sport Manual
    Pros: None

Cons:
    Lower fuel mileage due to more exposed frontal area.
    More mud and rock chips on the side of your truck.
    More stress on wheel bearings.
    Double the lug failure points, especially if not maintained.
    Scrub radius no longer where it should be as designed.

Seems like a lot of people are willing to sacrifice a lot for looks though. 10% reduction in fuel economy in order to have aggressive looking tires for example. To each their own, but my truck will never see a lift, spacers or aggressive tires UNTIL I find I am limited on any offroad I might do. Then again, others do a lot more serious offroading and need a lift and stout tires.

BSFord, tacotrekker and phsycle like this.
  4. Feb 21, 2018 at 9:54 AM
    AZGia

AZGia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Reg Cab 4x4
    Cool. Enjoy your stock truck.

Wheel bearings are a cheap fix if you do it yourself and it's not a big deal if they need to be replaced a few thousand miles earlier. I got spacers to give me more clearance between the OEM wheels and the UCAs.

5. Feb 21, 2018 at 9:58 AM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    Pros:
    great for arguing about on TW.

Cons:
    :popcorn:

elmontemike, rlx02, Kheiron and 9 others like this.
  6. Feb 21, 2018 at 9:59 AM
    wjrichardson

wjrichardson Well-Known Member

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD/OR/AC
    OP, for what it's worth, I had a 2008 Taco and ran 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers every day for three years with above average annual mileage (~16k). I did not notice any material decrease in MPG or abundance of new rock chips. No mechanical issues to note either. It was a pre-runner though so the most offloading I did was driving through campgrounds. I personally feel that if you get a good wheel/hub-centric set, follow proper install and maintenance schedules you will not have any problems. That is a sample size of 1, though.

RevivalOL likes this.
  7. Feb 21, 2018 at 10:08 AM
    BlkTaco47

BlkTaco47 Unhinged

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black AT DCSB 4x4 TRD
    JL Audio C2690tx Speakers Alpine MRV-F300 JL Audio 10" Sub - Full length Ported Sub Box Kicker Tweeters BFG KO2's 265/70/17 Tint N-Fab Bars Husky WB Mats AVS Visors Console Divider Tacoma Tonneau Cover ALL PRO 1.5" wheel spacers aFe CAI w/ Dry filter TRD Wheels Custom Remote Starter TRD Pro Grille ROAV Dash Cam 3" RC Lift Turn-down exhaust pipe TRD PRO Shift Knob vF Tune

/thread :D

pjensen641 and su.b.rat[QUOTED] like this.
  8. Feb 21, 2018 at 10:17 AM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    Similar experience. I've had 4.5 bs wheels on my last 2 Tacomas, so they stuck out an inch over factory. Logged about 60k miles total between the two trucks with 0 mechanical issues or rock chips (but I don't drive a lot of gravel roads, either). My gas mileage did go down, but that was likely because I went to an LT tire that weighed 25 lbs/tire more over the factory tires. I did run the factory tires on the aftermarket rims for a while and didn't notice a change in gas mileage.

9. Feb 21, 2018 at 10:26 AM
    stun gun

stun gun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaronski
    Vehicle:
    Tacomas.
    17 4X4 sr5spd/01 LT sr5spd
    They are fine. Used reasonably, they add some track width, which is beneficial. It’s nice to have more stability without a wider body. There is a line though, keep it classy, don’t get all tarded and stickem out to the point you look like a tacky asshole. There are no cons. There is no data from research on how much they decrease bearing wear, because no one ever gave a fuck to research it, because the bearing wear is so negligible. If we’re just gonna spit out nonsensical figures, which I love, let’s just say adding wheel spacers decreases your bearing life by 16 minutes. Over the course of 3 decades. Sounds about right.

10. Feb 21, 2018 at 10:28 AM
    Sungod

Sungod Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Augustine
    The only pro if you want to call it a pro is that you can keep a few dollars in your pocket now that you will undoubtedly be spending in the future, and it isn't a great return on your investment. Spacers give you a little more clearance that you should get by correct fitting wheels while putting you at a much greater risk of having a wheel separate from your truck. The spacers themselves will not impact gas mileage, but assuming if you are asking about them, that you are planning on larger tires which will negatively impact mileage.

Also assuming that you are talking about spacers and not adapters. Spacers push your wells out a 1/4" or so to clear your UCA. Adapters bolt on to your hubs and your wheels bolt on to the adapter. These give you more room, but also push your wheels out substantially putting more stress on your suspension components. Maybe safer than spacers, still introduces risk into your set up.

You are better off buying the correct fitting wheels along with the correct lugnuts. Spend the money correctly the first time or don't be shocked when you have issues starting with a vibration up to seeing your tire pass you on the freeway.

11. Feb 21, 2018 at 11:05 AM
    wjrichardson

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD/OR/AC
    Oh I have to add a story too. December of 2016 I was driving home on the highway in my 2008 Pre-runner with the 1.25" spidertrax spacers when I hit a patch of ice on the road underneath an overpass at maybe 50MPH. The ass end started drifting and I over corrected, went off the highway and slide sideways through the median (think perpendicular to the road) and across the oncoming lanes of the highway before ending up down in the shoulder of the oncoming side. After I came to a stop and was done shitting my pants I could not help but wondering if I would have rolled over without the extra 2.5" of track width. It's probably silly but to this day I think about it every now and then. I don't have the spacers on my 2017 right now.

I have it on my dashcam footage somewhere actually.

ohcaltexscar likes this.
  12. Feb 21, 2018 at 11:08 AM
    Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma 2.7 SR 4x4
    Something most people don't usually bring up, but that added track width does give you better cornering. Thats why the tuner guys go for them too.

13. Feb 21, 2018 at 11:10 AM
    Jibbs

Jibbs "When in doubt, throttle out!"

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Cincinnati
    Vehicle:
    2017 SCREW Raptor Lightning Blue
    Whoooooooshchchch
    Pros: They kept my tires from rubbing on my UCAs after lifting the front
    Cons: I didn't rub a hole in my KM2s on the UCA and have to keep waiting to get 35s

14. Feb 21, 2018 at 11:50 AM
    Sungod

Sungod Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Augustine
    Another con with both spacers and adapters. Unless something has changed, they are not DOT approved. That means if you have an accident that is spacer/adapter related, you can expect your insurance company to deny the claim. Scary situation if your wheel does fly off and crushes and on coming car.

15. Feb 21, 2018 at 12:02 PM
    Pportera

Pportera Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3rd gen.
    I've ran them for 51k miles with 33x12.50's
    no problems here. Warranty is still ok at my dealer.

Spydrtrax hub centric bolt on does not void warranty or insurance claims. *

Catfish21 likes this.
  16. Feb 21, 2018 at 12:17 PM
    wjrichardson

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD/OR/AC
    I'm a casualty claims (auto liability) insurance adjuster and I can tell you that is just not true. Not sure who you heard that from. In fact, if the accident is caused due to a failure or malfunction of the part your insurance company will coming knocking on the manufacturer's door for subrogation dollars.

Catfish21 and sprede like this.
  17. Feb 21, 2018 at 1:02 PM
    Sungod

Sungod Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Augustine
    I'll tell you that I heard it from a State Farm Attorney who was representing me in a case. I am not going to discount your knowledge of working in the business, but when it comes to civil suits before state farm offers representation they verify your responsibilities as they relate to your policy. I don't know how it works with your company, but once they 'lawyered up' the adjuster dropped off and turned it over to their attorney.

In my case a woman pulled out in front of me. I wasn't charged in the accident, but the woman hired one of those sleazy "you don't pay unless we win your case" lawyers. I was asked to provide any aftermarket modifications because when the sleaze found that I was driving a 4wd they sent an inspector that went over my truck with a fine tooth comb looking for any modifications. At the time I was running Bilsteins and ARE wheels. In civil suits, they sue the individual, not the insurance company. Your policy is your contract with your insurance company to represent you and pay up to your limits if you lose your case. Buried deep in your policy is something to the effect of only approved equipment. If you don't hold up your part of the contract, your insurance company is not obligated to honor it. Even if they do represent you and the judgement happens to be more than your policy, you are on the hook for the difference.

That situation scared the hell out of me. Luckily they got nothing, but considering they were asking for $1,000,000 in damages and my coverage was about a quarter of that I could have been in a bad way if I had to go at that alone.

I totally agree that they will go after a manufacturer if the accident is caused by a manufacturer's part failure, but in the case of spacers/adapters you know they are not approved for highway use because it is clearly stated so they have no recourse if a failure is related to that part. Of course that part would have to fail and be the cause of the accident. If you were to hit a pedestrian in a cross walk, they are not going to claim it was because of your spacers.

18. Feb 21, 2018 at 1:14 PM
    wjrichardson

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD/OR/AC
    That move by the plaintiff's attorney was all BS scare tactic crap by the way. I see it all the time. And by the way the underlined portion relates to first party vehicle damages, not liability damages. The intention there is that you pay premiums for a stock Toyota Tacoma and if you load on $10,000 in aftermarket parts your insurance company isn't too keen on replacing that because they aren't charging you premium. Some states allow endorsements for aftermarket coverage where you can "buy" coverage for an additional $xx in value though.

I would say the takeaway here is, when properly maintained and installed you should no fear of any civil liability. And even if you negligently install/maintain them AND the accident is related to that, your insurance carrier will still cover the damage you caused to another party and cover your vehicle if you carry collision coverage. The adage is "insurance covers stupidity". Anyway, I know this isn't an insurance thread so I'll bow out.

rlx02, JoeCOVA, sprede and 2 others like this.
  19. Feb 11, 2020 at 9:14 PM
    HunterT

HunterT Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    What kind of lift are you running?

20. Feb 11, 2020 at 9:26 PM
    JoeCOVA

JoeCOVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    Ford F350, Lexus RX450h, FZJ80, Jeep YJ
    DOT is not an approving authority and vehicle parts are not required by law or through insurance policy to be DOT or SAE certified.

As another poster mentioned you fell victim to a classic scare tactic.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    rlx02 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top