1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheelers 5 Pack rear springs

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by beerhiker, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Jan 9, 2020 at 1:32 PM
    beerhiker

beerhiker [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Erie, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma Doublecab
    OME 880, Wheeler 5 Pak, Leer shell.
    Hello, I need to replace my Wheelers 5 Pack springs and I have found out they no longer make these. Looking for a replacement that will give me about same amount of lift 1.75", the Dakars are going to be too tall and I don't want to mess with modifying them. Will I have to go to Alcan or Deaver? Ive searched quite a few threads about this, If I missed any with a direct answer please link. Running OME 880 up front, 265/70's, shell, otherwise stock, used as a weekend runner and camp rig here in Colorado. Thanks

2. Jan 9, 2020 at 1:35 PM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Chief Executive Officer at Kwik Fab

Member:
    Stock
    The question for you is; how much weight do you really plan to carry (payload, inside shell), and how often?

Dakars provide roughly a 2" lift, which I wouldn't say is much taller than your current lift. You should try to maintain some rake for when you do carry a heavier than normal load. Dakars are also meant to carry only a tiny bit more than the stock leaf pack and not much more. That's where AAL come into play, but they can also add to your overall height as well as payload capacity.

Deavers and Alcans run at twice the price of Dakars, and at that point, you should just contact them to make custom springs for you.

Curious, why do you need to replace your Wheelers leaf pack?

3. Jan 9, 2020 at 2:13 PM
    beerhiker

beerhiker [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Erie, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma Doublecab
    OME 880, Wheeler 5 Pak, Leer shell.
    Majority of time there is no weight just the shell (125lbs?). For weekend camp trips probably additional 200lbs. Everything I’m seeing is saying look at 2.5” min for the Dakar’s, that would be over inch diff front to rear, my 880’s have settled a little.
    The Wheeler’s have settled about a inch, so back to stock height, they have close to 80K miles on them and the rear axle is sitting off center to drivers side that I’m guessing has something to do with springs since everything else looks straight.

Products Discussed in

To Top