1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

when auto pros-AINT

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Ridgerunner, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Sep 17, 2008 at 8:12 AM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    I am the family "pitcrew" I tune up,troubleshoot, maintain 4 vehicles. My oldest son called hollering that his '99 Tacoma was running like crap, idling funny, losing power so I ordered up a tuneup kit from Toyota. Mark said he replaced the air filter a month ago....which surprized me because my sons, unfortunately, never endeavored to learn a damm thing under the hood-my WIFE knows more than they do! When I got there, Mark also complained that he had just gotten an oil change just prior to the truck running like crap and had to change it again!!!! HMMMMMMmmmm.....I grabbed my tools popped the hood and opened the air filter box. FILTER INSTALLED UPSIDE DOWN! I went back inside to remind Mark to 'leave the underhood stuff to me'. He then proceeded to tell me that he wasn't sure HOW to install the filter, so he went into the local AUTO ZONE (Blue Ravine Rd. Folsom, Ca. AVOID!!!) and asked one of the brainiacs there to put it in for him. What ever happened to "look at the way the old one was installed-put the new one in the same"? When I pulled out the incorrectly installed filter all the fins were contorted and some were FLATTENED by what labor the poor engine must have suffered trying to breathe through a backwards filter!!:( I drove Mark and the evidence back to this place and the 20-something year old behind the counter stood there with a blank stare as Mark told the story. Then he goes "well what would you like us to do?" Mark says "well I think you owe me a new air filter" to which I said "the air filter, being installed wrong, allowed dirt into his engine and a rich mix condition to the point where he had black oil less than a month after an oil change. His response as he puffed up his lil chest-"me and my friends offroad WITHOUT AIR FILTERS all the time and our oil NEVER gets dirty...there is NO way your sons oil was black because of a backwards air filter." I was struck silent by the ignorance. All I could say back was "were YOU the one who put in his air filter?" He says "NO WAY-I think I know how to put in a stupid air filter" Mark had me by the arm at that point as we left. Needless to say, my son now knows how to put in his own air filter. The truck is running like brand new-hopefully there wont be any damage down the line. I love my kids but I am embarrased by their total disregard for even the most basic knowledge of important stuff like this-but places like Auto Zone are there to at least help with a simple task like this??? Right? Or am I expecting too much?

2. Sep 17, 2008 at 8:19 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I believe you are exactly correct. They however just hire people off the streets now, not like it used to be where you local parts store could damn near rebuild your engine over the phone. All you had to do was tell them what you had and they could get you the info you needed and how to change it. Those days are long gone. I stick to the little stores in my home town.

3. Sep 17, 2008 at 8:24 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    sorry to hear of it uncle frank!!! but im glad you got the truck running back like it should!!! i would have been doing good to not punch the kid behind the counter in the mouth for being a "know it all smartass"........good on you man!!!

this is another reason why is best to d.i.y.........that way you know its done correct!!!

4. Sep 17, 2008 at 10:02 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Yeah, I don't count on any retail shop to know jack shit about anything anymore: cars, computers, electronics.... I can count on 1 hand the number of auto repair places I trust. And I always assume I'm on my own buying electronics. Research the hell out of it online, talk to my computer friends, and buy at BB, CC, Radioshack etc ONLY if they are the cheapest around or I need it fast.

5. Sep 17, 2008 at 11:23 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    It sounds like all of us have had too much "no customer service, I'm just here, give my paycheck please" mentality lately. Lucky you are able to square em away Ridgerunner. You gotta tell me they at least gave you a replacement filter?

Man don't get me started, I am still waiting on the proverbial check is in the mail from the chevy parts dept. :mad:

yup, as all have said, DIY is the way to go.

6. Sep 17, 2008 at 12:54 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    I remember those days too-the caliber of knowledge behind that counter was equal to master mechanic level-and you would likely get your ass educated in the process LOL
    You said it neph!! which is why Mark pointed me to the door:D
    +1 Pierce-the ethic is in the shitter pretty much everywhere I deal too-if it isnt plain ignorance, its blatent indifference:(
    Yeah xedge-he gave us a free one-but I am really concearned about how much gritty dirt got into vital areas of that motor where it can score and grind:eek: You guys think an engine flush would do it?

7. Sep 17, 2008 at 5:00 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    WTG! Frank!!!!
    You should have walked into the store and smaked the kid with the F-ed up filter! And to think, our future may one day be in their hands! :eek:

8. Sep 17, 2008 at 5:05 PM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    hey hey hey... I resent that.

By the way maybe a mod can answer this but am I the youngest member on tacomaworld?

9. Sep 17, 2008 at 5:13 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    There are exceptions, my Friend! :)

And I do belive you are the youngest member. :thumbsup:

10. Sep 17, 2008 at 5:54 PM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    Yay i feel special

11. Sep 17, 2008 at 6:05 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    I work parts for a MasseyFergusen and Heston dealer. I didnt know jack about tractors, swather, and balers. But working there 5 months, i can pretty much tell you how to put you Hesston 6450 pitman assembly back together! haha. My parts manager knows his shit too, most of the ignorant know-it-all farmers that walk in, are almost always sent out with the tail between their legs. oh, btw im 17. i guess im not in the running for the youngest on TW!

Products Discussed in

To Top