1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

When I step hard on the brakes, my Taco skids. ABS does not engage.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Clyde Crashcup, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Feb 16, 2017 at 2:29 PM
    Clyde Crashcup

Clyde Crashcup [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tacoma
    So I thought if you have ABS, as I do on my 2015 TRD Sport 4 x 4, going 70 mph on the freeway you can step hard on the brakes and ABS will engage. However, during those few times on the freeway when I've had an "Oh Shit!" moment - that's when you notice a little late that brake lights are on ahead of you - my truck started skidding instead of the ABS engaging. I'm writing to ask you who are more knowledgeable than I if this is OK or not?

I just didn't think it was possible to skid if you have ABS, and I'm experiencing skidding during emergency braking. And NO, I'm not a bad driver. Never been in an accident. I'm talking about braking during those times when brake lights go on ahead of you and you react by hitting the brakes too hard. Hope you have been there so you understand.

I'm asking my question because if I really get into a jam I need to know are my brakes working properly or not?
    Thanks in advance for any info.

2. Feb 16, 2017 at 2:33 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Your brakes are probably working fine, also if you have to keep mashing on them in all of these situations - maybe you should not follow so close behind.

phillstill likes this.
  3. Feb 16, 2017 at 3:01 PM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    Take it out on a dirt road and try it again at lower speed. My guess is that it will work fine but it's useful to know. There may a limit to how fast you can go before the ABS becomes ineffective. 70 mph is a LOT or tire rpms and the ABS may be ineffective or outright shut off at that speed and un predictable. I'd start with the test and ask the Dealer IMO.

4. Feb 16, 2017 at 3:06 PM
    Larueminati

Larueminati Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western MA.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD 0FF-ROAD
    ABS sucks anyway.

Mine comes on way too easily. I use the killswitch alot.

5. Feb 16, 2017 at 3:11 PM
    TashcomerTexas

TashcomerTexas My truck is a whiner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD DC King Ranch Edition
    I don't know if it's just me, or if I'm one of the few that know how to drive but abs has come in handy for me. Big ass tires, heavy weight, wet roads in a hilly area are always a bad scenario.

Ruggybuggy and outlawtacoma like this.
  6. Feb 16, 2017 at 3:22 PM
    PNW BlueReaper

PNW BlueReaper Slowly but Surely

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Indigo Ink Tacoma
    How do you know when ABS engages? I feel dumb for asking.

7. Feb 16, 2017 at 3:33 PM
    Jonah

Jonah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD O/R 4x4
    5100s F&R, TSB leaf springs, N-Fab steps, bed lights
    You can feel the brake pedal pulsing under your foot.

8. Feb 16, 2017 at 3:36 PM
    Kyitty

Kyitty Mr. Beard

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Better Than TRD
    See Build Page
    It's pretty damn noisy in these Tacomas. You will feel it in the pedal and likely hear a grinding noise that will just about startle you if you don't expect it or understand what it is.

9. Feb 16, 2017 at 3:39 PM
    Kyitty

Kyitty Mr. Beard

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Better Than TRD
    See Build Page
    @Clyde Crashcup - ABS can create its own form of skidding. However, it's not solid skid. The wheels should not completely stop spinning. ABS will commonly cause momentary skids or wheel lock ups if you are traveling at high speed and mash the pedal really hard (I.e. Emergency braking / panic braking).

That said, if following at a safe distance you should have plenty of time to firmly press the pedal without: A) Crashing. B) Engaging ABS or skidding.

If your ABS does not engage it would be worth having it checked while still under warranty. ABS is a great safety feature and is built in and should be covered by warranty.

10. Feb 16, 2017 at 4:06 PM
    Hugh Morron

Hugh Morron Manic Mechanic

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Schuylkill County, PA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB SR5 4X4 Barcelona Red Metallic
    ARE Cap, AVS Bugdeflector II, AVS Ventshades, DTRL delete, ABS/VSC/TRAC disable, Toyota LSD with clutchpacks, N-Fab Lightbar, Hella 700ff lights
    Wow, this is a first. Someone complained about their ABS not working. Usually everyone complains that the ABS is too sensitive and activating when it should not, me being one of them. That's why there are threads about disabling ABS.

11. Feb 16, 2017 at 4:19 PM
    Clyde Crashcup

Clyde Crashcup [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tacoma
    You guys, of course I should apply pressure to the brakes gradually and not follow too close behind. I actually have zero accidents and zero tickets. I'm an excellent driver compared to most other drivers. I don't drive slowly in the fast lane. I move over for faster drivers. I don't cut people off. I use my turn signals. I'm saying, in L.A. traffic where I am navigating through the most terrifying traffic you can imagine, which goes form 80 mph to stop and go, then 80 mph again, sometimes, like as often as you might win anything from a scratch off lottery ticket, sometimes I have to push on my brake pedal harder than usual to avoid hitting the car in front of me, and the truck skids like it's on ice, okay? At that point, like Elvis, ABS has left the building. If there is no ABS when going 70 mph and needing to stop quickly, then this is good to know. You have all done a hard tap on the brakes such as I am describing. Yes, in my vehicle ABS works on ice or muddy situations. I have felt my brake pedal go squishy and heard the duh duh duh duh sound of the ABS kicking in at much slower speeds, but not when going down the highway and hitting the brakes hard. I thought ABS would kick in during those situations, but it doesn't, and I'm okay with that, if that's the case. I learned threshold braking from some driving training at Skip Barber, and I'm probably better at braking than ABS is. Most of you probably can do better that ABS can. I'd just like to know if my ABS is broken or if my expectations are too high. If you drive a truck like mine, wouldn't you want to know?

12. Feb 16, 2017 at 4:42 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    If your tires are truely locking up at 70 mph, then the ABS is malfunctioning.

13. Feb 16, 2017 at 4:44 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    FYI, i want to say at some year, either 09+ 11+ or 12+ they reprogrammed the braking system so that in the event of a panicked stop, the system will auto go full braking force and auto engage abs because of this. Often this happens so abrupt that the weight transfer to the front lightens the rear quite a bit causing them to skid easily.

That stated. OP go out to a dirt road n mash on the brakes, id bet ABS kicks in without issue. If you were skidding at 70mph, trust me you would know it.

14. Feb 16, 2017 at 8:17 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    No, that is incorrect unless you can pump your braking foot in msec. and only apply braking force to each wheel independently as needed. Then no you are not better than the ABS System.

Here is some light reading about it: http://brainonboard.ca/safety_features/active_safety_features_abs.php

http://www.toyota-global.com/innovation/safety_technology/safety_technology/technology_file/active/

15. Feb 16, 2017 at 8:24 PM
    Justinlhc

Justinlhc Not looking for a relationship

Member:
    More than likely, not. ABS is most likely beneficial for those that DON'T know how to drive. Especially in limited traction situations.

16. Feb 16, 2017 at 8:28 PM
    TashcomerTexas

TashcomerTexas My truck is a whiner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD DC King Ranch Edition
    It's worked for me :notsure: abs placebo...

17. Feb 17, 2017 at 6:15 AM
    ejl923

ejl923 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Western Mass
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD Off Road
    When you hit the brakes and your truck doesnt stop because the ABS sucks, tattooing the vehicle in front of you.

You'll feel the brakes pulse. I personally hate the ABS on this truck. In MOST, not all, cases i feel i can do a better job and should probably do the disable mod.

18. Feb 17, 2017 at 6:32 AM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Your ABS should work in all braking situations - unless you manually disable it. You will hear and feel it working (it makes a ton of racket) and in most vehicles, the ABS light will illuminate on your dash. If it's not working - at any speed - you should have your braking system checked right away.

As for those of you who feel you can threshold brake or pump the brake pedal faster / better than your ABS, you're sorely mistaken. I thought I could, then my son (a Toyota Technician) had me test the theory in an empty icy parking lot. Not even close. In fact the toughest thing about ABS for those of us that learned to drive before it came around is that the safest / fastest means of braking in new vehicles is to literally imbed the brake pedal in the floor and steer.

19. Feb 17, 2017 at 6:36 AM
    Larueminati

Larueminati Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western MA.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD 0FF-ROAD
    I think having the electronic brake booster makes it alot more sensitive, TRD off road models.

20. Feb 17, 2017 at 7:03 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Off road brakes are way touchy. I never had the feeling that I had complete control of the pressure on the pedal. It would go from slightly braking to head slamming off the steering wheel. lol. My current sport has normal feeling brakes.

Products Discussed in

To Top