1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

when to replace factory shocks on 02 double-cab TRD

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mjmsms69, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Apr 10, 2010 at 12:18 PM
    mjmsms69

mjmsms69 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma double cab
    custom wheels tonneau cover bed liner nerf bars
    can anyone tell me the life expectency of the factory shocks? I believe that they are Bilsteins but not absolutely sure. The truck has never been off road and has 82000 miles on the factory shocks. Does anyone know what the scheduled replacement mileage is according to the service manuel?

2. Aug 25, 2011 at 6:26 PM
    wanderingwayne

wanderingwayne Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    Stock 4x4, 3.58 gears, 30" tires, man. hub
    I just put KYB Gas-a-just shocks on mine. I drive mostly on the asphalt. Back roads, some gravel and logging roads. They made a big difference but the old ones were so wore out that anything would of made a big difference. The three most noticeable things are; coming out from a stop sign going to my left or right the truck doesn't dip down/roll as it used to; when going down the county road by my house (which is rutted and patched and really bad) the truck runs in a straight line no matter what it hits. Before it wanted to dodge off left or right on multiple bumps and there was to much side sway, shake, whatever. No side sway now. Much, much better. The third thing is I can "feel" the road better. I don't know how to put that any better.

As for stiffness, when I hit a dip to the right and a dip to the left directly following each other I think the truck would handle it better with a little more stiffness, but when hitting something like a bad bridge abutment it levels that out just right.

I guess all things are a compromise. If I was doing some heavy duty off road anymore I might want stiffer shocks, but I haven't tried these out off road and probably won't.

Overall I think they are great but the old ones where so bad that anything is better.

The ones I took off could possible be the originals. That would mean they would have over 200,000 miles on them. They are Toyota shocks. The shocks are badly worn out but 3 of the 4 still have bushings that aren't completely wore out. They are rusted and corroded where the bushings are touching the shocks but still holding there own. The right rear bushings are still in place and doing something but about done. Unbelievable. Toyota shocks must have some great bushing, or did in '97 if they are actually that old.

3. Aug 25, 2011 at 6:29 PM
    Redhed

Redhed Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner BSP
    Polk Audio components, Rammat sound deadening & Ensolite, blacked out emblems, color matched grill, rhinolined rear bumper, shorty antenna, nerf bars, black Toyota trail edition rims, Sockmonkey vinyl, retrofit overhead temp/compass, JDM Altezza tailights, JDM Black Crystal headlights, Hella Black Magic driving lights, 20" dual row LED light bar.
    I replaced mine with Monroes at 80,000. Makes a big difference.

4. Aug 26, 2011 at 8:09 PM
    bowyer2002

bowyer2002 always tinkering

Member:
    NE Missouri
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco SR5 D-cab 4WD
    OME 882s, OME shocks all around and OME Dakar spring packs, ARB, Warn 8000, ARE shell, Custom rear bumper w/ reciever, 5-235/80R17 Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX on FJ wheels, grey wire mod, Hi-Lift, Hellas, Red-Line hood lifters, Scion radio, sliders, Safari snorkel & LED Ditch lights on CBI mounts.
    new OME shocks & 882 springs (since I have an ARB, winch & cable) today - truck rides great!
    If it was stock up front OME w/ 881s would be good - my .02

Products Discussed in

To Top