1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

When you put on a lift kit, don't you need a longer drive shaft?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by ERdept, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Oct 22, 2007 at 11:49 PM
    ERdept

ERdept [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I notice lift kit ads everywhere that install shocks, springs etc and lift your truck 2-4 inches.

When you do this, doesn't the length of the rear axle become farther from it's previous/stock location?

If it's further away, doesn't the vehicle need to have a longer driveshaft?

Just trying to understand the physics of it. My mind is saying, if you live the truck one mile high, for instance or 4 inches higher. The result is the same...

Longer distance from transmission to rear axle. So I never see these kits offering any driveshaft changes.

Or am I wrong about my logic?

2. Oct 23, 2007 at 7:55 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 4.0L 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab A
    Advantage Torza top (tri-fold), Husky floor mats, RuffTuff seat covers, C2C hood struts, Homelink mirror, USA Spec PA15-Toy (120gig Classic & 8gig nano), Garmin Nuvi 660, Protecta Bed mat, Pop-n-lock, TSB Springs, Scangauge II, Heated drivers seat, Fumoto drain valve, Aries pushbar, PIAA 540 fog lights, Hood scoop grahics, Flowmaster 50 series dual catback exhaust, RainX Latitude windshield wipers, Husky rear floor liner (ontop of folded down seats). Console Vault.
    You've got the right logic.... However - each driveshaft has a slip yoke which allows the driveshaft to move inward/outward depending on suspension travel. In most cases - that slip yoke has plenty of distance travel within it to compensate for mild/medium lifts. So it's not something that you need to be concerned with (for the most part).

In higher lifts - it all depends - you'll experience driveline angle problems before you experience 'length issues'.

If you have a high lift and a lot of suspension travel - you'll probably need a longer driveshaft .....however....it's the SLIP YOKE distance that's most important. The more distance in your slip yoke - the more that driveshaft can expand.

If you've ever heard about Revolver Shackles.....they allow your suspension to travel A LOT and having an extended slip yoke is a necessity when running them or else your driveshaft will pull outta the splines at the slip yoke.

3. Oct 23, 2007 at 3:50 PM
    fitter565

fitter565 Active Member

Member:
    +1, With the mild lifts that we can put on our trucks, the drive shaft only grows about a 1/2". Your thinking is correct but, the drive shaft and the truck run a such parallel angles the you don't see much growth.

4. Oct 23, 2007 at 7:23 PM
    Taco-Jenn/FJ-Kyle

Taco-Jenn/FJ-Kyle Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma TRD / FJ Cruiser
    Billet Grill, Grom Ipod Interface, de mudflapped, more mods to come.
    Thats a good question, and some good info.... now which lift to choose?

5. Oct 24, 2007 at 12:49 AM
    pb2themax

pb2themax Mod Master

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    A 3" lift only stretches the slip yoke about 1/4". Most slip yokes can travel several inches in and out. Lots of room for movement up or down.

6. Oct 24, 2007 at 1:33 AM
    ERdept

ERdept [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thank you community members and your knowledge.

I tried to ask some people at work, even those who had their trucks lifted, and they didn't know the answer.

These are the strange things that I lose sleep over. I wouldn't be able to comfortably be settled with any modification such as this unless I had this burning question answered. :eek:

My neuroses revealed.

7. Oct 24, 2007 at 7:57 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    If you're going for a 3" i think the most popular lifts are toytec and revtech

8. Oct 24, 2007 at 8:07 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 4.0L 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab A
    Advantage Torza top (tri-fold), Husky floor mats, RuffTuff seat covers, C2C hood struts, Homelink mirror, USA Spec PA15-Toy (120gig Classic & 8gig nano), Garmin Nuvi 660, Protecta Bed mat, Pop-n-lock, TSB Springs, Scangauge II, Heated drivers seat, Fumoto drain valve, Aries pushbar, PIAA 540 fog lights, Hood scoop grahics, Flowmaster 50 series dual catback exhaust, RainX Latitude windshield wipers, Husky rear floor liner (ontop of folded down seats). Console Vault.
    I feel your pain...I've always had the urge *to know* that kinda stuff.....

Don't ever lose that way of thinking - cuz that'll be the difference between doing something RIGHT (knowing what's involved) versus doing something half-azzed.

Good Luck with your modification plans! Have fun with it!

9. Oct 24, 2007 at 8:46 AM
    pb2themax

pb2themax Mod Master

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
To Top