1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Where are you grounding your amp (under driver's seat)

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by nammer, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Oct 14, 2013 at 1:00 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    True, the seat belt bolts are not attached to the frame. The seat belt nuts are welded to the body. However I use the seat belt bolt location to ground my 1500W amp and have no problems at all. Why? Because I also ground my body directly to the battery as well.

That is really a matter of opinion. If you look at many automotive vehicles you will find that the battery main ground bolts to the engine block. This is so that the high current starter can get the most juice. Now where does your engine block ground to? Not to the frame. It is actually isolated FROM the frame due to engine mounts, and the transmission mounts. Why do you think that there is usually a large metal grounding strap from the engine block to the body on most all body-on-frame vehicles? Without this strap, or a good ground cable from the body to the battery, electrical current would have a poor grounding path. When I was at the dealership one of the most common causes in the pickups of radio noise was the ground strap was either removed, or had built up corrosion. The newer vehicles, if you look, now ground to not only the engine block, but the body as well. If the body were such a bad place to ground things, then why is almost every ground for every component in the vehicle screwed into the body somewhere?

Rocan likes this.
  2. Oct 14, 2013 at 1:34 PM
    fletch97

fletch97 Professional Window Licker

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5
  3. Oct 14, 2013 at 1:41 PM
    ThreeMan

ThreeMan Opinions Vary...

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    King Remote Resi Suspension - Total Chaos UCAs - Full Katzkin Leather - Leer Camper Shell - Custom Projector Halo Headlights - HID Fogs - Eagle Eye LED tail lights - Rigid Industries LED Light Bar Mounted in Bumper - Wade In-channel Vent Visors - K&N Filter - 20% on the fronts - Dakar Progressive Leafs - Fuel Beast Wheels wrapped in Hankook Dynapro ATMs - 4 Tie Down Mod - Pop N Lock - Billet Grille - Weathertech Mats - LED Map and Dome Lights - Optima Yellow Top - Redline Elite Hood Struts - Tunes: Eclipse 7100 HU - Eclipse IPC-106 Interface - Audison LRX 5.1K - Hertz Mille MLK2 Components - JL 13TW5 - JL cables and wires - Fully Deadened with SDS products - Metra dash kit - Custom Sub Box and Amp Rack - Still Under Construction.

Thank you Sir. :)

4. Oct 14, 2013 at 1:42 PM
    ThreeMan

ThreeMan Opinions Vary...

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    King Remote Resi Suspension - Total Chaos UCAs - Full Katzkin Leather - Leer Camper Shell - Custom Projector Halo Headlights - HID Fogs - Eagle Eye LED tail lights - Rigid Industries LED Light Bar Mounted in Bumper - Wade In-channel Vent Visors - K&N Filter - 20% on the fronts - Dakar Progressive Leafs - Fuel Beast Wheels wrapped in Hankook Dynapro ATMs - 4 Tie Down Mod - Pop N Lock - Billet Grille - Weathertech Mats - LED Map and Dome Lights - Optima Yellow Top - Redline Elite Hood Struts - Tunes: Eclipse 7100 HU - Eclipse IPC-106 Interface - Audison LRX 5.1K - Hertz Mille MLK2 Components - JL 13TW5 - JL cables and wires - Fully Deadened with SDS products - Metra dash kit - Custom Sub Box and Amp Rack - Still Under Construction.
    I have had it mounted there since '09. Its. been real solid.

Products Discussed in

To Top