1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Where did the 3.5l Atkinson originate from?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Qexler, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Apr 20, 2017 at 2:59 PM
    Scruffie

Scruffie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arsie
    Surrey B.C Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 QuickSand Access TRD OR Manual
    265/75/16Dura,SSO Hybrid,X20,CruisinSliders,Skids
    I'm quite happy with the power and getup and go of my Tacoma. But then again. It's paired with a Manual Tranny.:D

2. Apr 20, 2017 at 11:49 PM
    Jeff Lange

Jeff Lange Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '86 AE86, '05 NCP13, '11 GSE21
    The specific engine (2GR-FKS) in the Tacoma is used in the Lexus GS350, RX350 and the Toyota Tacoma, Sienna and Highlander. There are 3 major variations on the tune, namely 278hp for the Tacoma, 295hp for the Sienna, Highlander and RX350 and 311hp for the GS350.

There are other similar engines from Toyota, the most similar being the 8GR-FXS, followed by the 2GR-FSE and then the 2GR-FE, then probably the 1GR-FE Dual VVT-i and the 1GR-FE Single VVT-i that was used in the 2005-2015 Tacoma. All are GR-series engines, however the methodology used for certain components varies. I excluded other similar, but less relevant engines such as the 3GR/4GR-FSE, etc.

All are GR-series engines, which means they share a core design, though the 1GR is notably larger in certain aspects (crank pin size, larger flywheel/flexplate to crank bolt pattern), though it does share the same cylinder spacing among other similarities. The 1GR-FE and 2GR-FE are port injected only while the 2GR-FSE, 8GR-FXS and the 2GR-FKS use the D-4S direct/port injection system. The 1GR-FE had single VVT-i while all others have some form of dual VVT-i. The 2GR-FKS and 8GR-FXS both use the newer form of VVT-iW/VVT-iE, which uses a front-mounted controller and Atkinson-cycle capability due to the wider adjustment angle the system provides. The 8GR-FXS and 2GR-FKS both have integrated exhaust manifolds in the head, while the 2GR-FSE, 2GR-FE and 1GR-FE all have external collectors outside the heads. The 8GR-FXS and 2GR-FKS both use resin valve covers, while the others used alloy valve covers.

In conclusion, the GR series share many commonalities, the variations between them aren't huge. The single VVT-i 1GR-FE was the most outdated design, mainly on the top-end, using a cylinder head design more similar to 90's Toyota designs. All other members of the GR engine family use the more modern design, with the 2GR-FKS in the Tacoma getting the latest updates to the head design (both as far as valvetrain and flow goes).

I find the arguments of a "truck" vs. a "car" vs. a "minivan" engine a bit comical, I mean there are certain aspects of an engine's design that do lend themselves more to one application than the other, but the similarities between the engines are much greater than their differences. The biggest thing I would say that a truck engine would want over other uses would be a longer stroke and an appropriate tune to provide good torque for hauling purposes. Gearing to match the engine's performance curve and what it's being used for is also important.

Some people seem to have a fundamental stance against an engine revving a bit though.

Jeff

arnette64, su.b.rat and schmack b like this.
  3. Apr 21, 2017 at 12:22 AM
    Hoonatic

Hoonatic Well-Known Member

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCLB
    schmack b[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top