1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Where do you buy your 1st Gen toys?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TheBigHairy, May 28, 2009.

1. May 28, 2009 at 5:03 PM
    TheBigHairy

TheBigHairy [OP] Two Dots!! I'm 100% more green!

Member:
    southern california
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4cyl 2.7 litre 4x4
    6 inch fabtech lift 35 inch tires Flowmaster exhaust Somekinda headers K&N Air filter Bright Green intake manifold
    So I've had my 98 4x4 for a good 9 years now, but it's only recently that my buddy turned me on to this site and you guys seem to have some pretty good advice so I thought I'd ask around a bit.

I've been thinking about getting some new accessories for my truck for about 9 years now, but I wanted to know where you guys get stuff for your 1st gen tacomas? Whether it's online or at a shop some place (Southern California shops would be especially good for me) I'm always interested in new toy stores.

Two of the things I'm looking at right now are a grille guard
    http://www.dealsofsteel.com/product_info.php?products_id=542

And some Nerf Bars
    http://www.dealsofsteel.com/product_info.php?products_id=383

I'm kinda going with an all black theme, if ya couldn't tell. Never shopped with Dealsofsteel.com before though.

So, tell me where you buy your toys!

2. May 28, 2009 at 5:16 PM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    that site has those customer reviews on the side bar, and they all say that the company isnt legit. they dont send out the stuff and just steal your money.

id be careful.

but on a lighter note, I buy all my stuff from 4x4connection.com.
    those guys are real legit and they have ARB stuff for the cheapest that ive seen it.

When i bought my front OME suspension the guy called me that evening and told me that it was back-ordered and asked if i wanted it directly shipped from ARB for like $30 extra or just wait the extra 2 weeks. (sorry, rant)

anyways, just bought a ARB bull bar from there (arriving next week). Great guys, buy your shit from them.

3. May 28, 2009 at 5:23 PM
    TheBigHairy

Member:
    southern california
    Vehicle:
    6 inch fabtech lift 35 inch tires Flowmaster exhaust Somekinda headers K&N Air filter Bright Green intake manifold
    I was wondering about that myself. Free shipping for everything and negative reviews right on the site seemed suspicious to the point where I didn't wanna buy directly from them, but I do like the styles they have. I'll check out 4x4connection right now though! Thanks!

4. May 28, 2009 at 5:33 PM
    RattleTractor

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    yep. Craigslist is always a good bet as well. Since the (great) taco recall (let's call it a migration, shall we?) happened, CL has been flooded with used taco parts stripped off of recalled trucks. Caps (toppers) are especially easy to find on there.

5. May 28, 2009 at 5:45 PM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    yah, dont do nerf bars.. get a set of sliders made so they're functional AND look bad ass. I'm not a fan of the grill guards personally.. IF money wasnt an opton i'd say get rid of the bumper altogther and get a custom built one.. one of those plate things.. man that'd be rad

6. May 28, 2009 at 5:48 PM
    RattleTractor

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    def sliders. painted black with bedliner material.

and dont do a brush guard. shrockworks or ARB is way better, or you could try to custom build one, yes.

7. May 28, 2009 at 5:57 PM
    TheBigHairy

Member:
    southern california
    Vehicle:
    Custom built would turn out horribly for me. I'm much better with installing pre-made parts. I'll see if I can find some sliders I like. It looks like Shrockworks only makes them for 2005+, and the ARB sliders are for jeeps. Pity. Why do the sliders always look so thin and dinky compared to the nerf bars?

And I'm definitely gonna have to wait if I go with the ARB bumper. That thing is a beast, but it's expensive as hell. I may as well just go with an Aries or something for a few years while I mull it over.

Everyone on here must be incredibly wealthy to afford all this stuff!

8. May 28, 2009 at 6:00 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    yah, the sliders look weak, but theyre pretty damn strong. Thick metal welded to the frame is basically an extension of the frame.. nerf bars are hollow and bolt usually to the body or sometimes welded to the frame.. SO yah.. good times.

ARB makes some pretty slick stuff - AND your front bumper is DONE anyway - so might as well get somethin amazing!

9. May 28, 2009 at 6:02 PM
    TheBigHairy

Member:
    southern california
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, no kidding. I'm gonna miss that bumper. You know, 10 minutes ago 800 seemed like a lot for a bumper. It looks more and more attractive each minute that passes....

10. May 28, 2009 at 6:05 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Stock bumpers cost 1000. Its true i just researched it like MAD and i cant find any worth less than 1000. I wouldnt lie. never. AND i hear ARB gives you a BJ with every bumper purchased. Good company.

11. May 28, 2009 at 6:17 PM
    TheBigHairy

Member:
    southern california
    Vehicle:
    Might be worth it just for the BJ. Also, we need to go junkyard hunting again and find an old celica. I need some new seats! There have got to be some junk yards in the Inland Empire somewhere.

12. May 28, 2009 at 6:19 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    I'm game - lets go!

Also - some of you first gen guys should chime in. I know dick about pre 05s

13. May 28, 2009 at 6:23 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    Tube bumpers (like Demello) > plate bumpers (like ARB) IMO

14. May 28, 2009 at 7:58 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
  15. May 28, 2009 at 9:44 PM
    TheBigHairy

Member:
    southern california
    Vehicle:
    I checked them out

[​IMG]

vs

[​IMG]

? I like the tube look, but I dunno if I like how flimsy it looks.

Products Discussed in

To Top