1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Where do you place your weapons?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by SBRBlackout, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Jul 12, 2018 at 1:32 PM
    SurfratTX

SurfratTX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR Quicksand
    I have a modded Sub-2000, 9mm. I have 3 - 33 round Glock mags.
    Mods:
    Hogue grip
    Added a slim cushioned, butt pad
    Changed out foregrip
    Added angled fore grip handle
    Bright LED light with laser(where it’s located when placing my hand on the angled foregrip handle my knuckled easily flips the lever to turn on the flashlight and laser)
    Rubberized bolt tube cover
    Rubber/foam spacer in bolt tube to reduce what little recoil there is
    Eagle eye rear sight
    Metal fore-sight

I keep it as iron sights since the light and laser is all I need if even that for home defense, stays next-to-bed-gun.

Gun is well balanced, light, and a self pointing kinda gun feel. Never had a FTE. Love shooting it, like next to nothing recoil. Super accurate within 50ft since that’s the longest shot I could make in the House.
    Shot it out on the range, 50, 100 yds on iron sights. Once you figure out the sighting.....it’s right on.
    Love the gun.

If I travel besides my CC Walther CCP 9mm, I keep a PS90, 50 rounds 5.7x28mm.....gun used by the Secret Service. Looks weird but ergomically fits well when shouldering, it’s also a self pointing kinda feel gun, recoils like a 22....like nothing.
    Bad ass having 50 rounds....

0E774D33-B9DC-4E3F-B7B8-330444716AE4.jpg
    3DA54D5D-A7AB-427D-A9E3-7A6253727E57.jpg

07CBBE9E-AFFA-4011-B7DC-2C4B85290D24.jpg

2. Jul 12, 2018 at 1:47 PM
    golfindia

golfindia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes.
    Vehicle:
    pickup truck
    There can be some nuances about having a loaded rifle in a vehicle, depending on where you are at..... The solution to that IMO is an AR "pistol". If you don't intend to transport it in the loaded condition, it may as well just be stored in a case.

3. Jul 12, 2018 at 1:52 PM
    SurfratTX

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    What do you mean by “loaded”, magazine in, one in the chamber, or magazine in only or neither?
    Me, if I’m transporting my ‘long gun’, on a trip as backup protection, it’s ready to go, mag in, one in the chamber.

DubfromGA likes this.
  4. Jul 12, 2018 at 1:57 PM
    SurfratTX

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    For self defense, someone attacking you etc, doesn’t matter if you have a 45, shotgun, AR, AK etc etc.
    Anyway as they say, better to be judged by 12 than be carried by 6....

DubfromGA likes this.
  5. Jul 12, 2018 at 1:59 PM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    From the comments of a few cop friends of mine who have had to testify in these cases: the law doesn't care what you shot 'em with, but the jury might...

I'm with you though. I'd rather make it to trial than not at all.

DubfromGA likes this.
  6. Jul 12, 2018 at 2:17 PM
    golfindia

Member:
    Yes.
    Vehicle:
    pickup truck
    Chambered and mag inserted

DubfromGA likes this.
  7. Jul 12, 2018 at 2:25 PM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    FYI many states have a hunting/poaching law that makes it illegal to have a round in the chamber on a long-gun in your vehicle. Loaded mag is fine but loaded chamber is a no no unless in a handgun. Know your local laws before you make a mistake that's easily avoidable.

8. Jul 12, 2018 at 2:50 PM
    SurfratTX

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    I live in Texas.

9. Jul 12, 2018 at 3:39 PM
    SurfratTX

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    Interesting.
    I have 2 cop friends for years, and a SWAT guy I vaguely know at the Federal buildings I work at(of which I can’t CC which is BS). I’ll ask if they have any knowledge of or have heard that in a court of law a jury might be swayed one way or the other depending on what kind of gun smeone used in self defense. I also took my CC class from Charles Cotton, a former Texas DPS officer and now lawyer who wrote 90% of the Texas CC laws and more importantly how those laws are interpreted by the courts, lawyers, juries etc. Charles never mentioned anything about what kind of weapon that was used for self defense would have any bearing on a case. And he cited many.
    http://nraontherecord.org/charles-cotton-board-member/

Also took some tactical shooting classes from a former Delta Force member, of Black Hawk Down fame, Paul Howe. He runs CSAT, trains LOE, SWAT, security etc. and us civies.
    His take, your handgun is to use so you can get to your long gun.....
    Halfway thru his video he mentions California where he grew up....funny.
    http://panteao.com/instructors/paul-howe/
    He is the real McCoy, badass.

I don’t think I’m any kind of bad ass, I’ll do my best to avoid any confrontation, always looking ahead, extreme prejudice, traveled the world, mostly third world countries, lived abroad....but I did want to learn, train on my weapons, more than just going to the range and putting holes in paper. Frankly I didn’t really do it for my safety....what motivated me more than anything else was my responsibility for my family. We also travel on the road a lot.....trips/vacations. Wanted to be able to do something more than just throwing my cell phone at a bad guy...as self defense.

Again I understand what you mentioned about weapon used, but doubt that would have any real bearing in a self defense case.
    Regardless as you mentioned, even if that’s the case, I’ll take my chances ...based on how and what I have trained with....muscle memory.

DubfromGA and Brake Weight like this.
  10. Jul 12, 2018 at 8:45 PM
    Brake Weight

Brake Weight But it hasn't rained in weeks...I'll make it.

Member:
    Deep South near the Third Coast
    Vehicle:
    Taco pulling 33s and a B6 pushing 33psi
    Weld on sliders, fiberglass shell, 12k winch in an Elite Offroad bumper, front Aussie Lunchbox
    Rounds on target are very important but I’d dare say that in a self defense situation knowing your weapon is primary. Any FTF or FTE and you don’t have rounds downrange. You have an expensive blunt object.

Knowing your weapon is paramount. Lead flying in the general direction of a perp is a good deterrent. No lead = bad day.

Gunshot-6A and SurfratTX like this.
  11. Jul 13, 2018 at 3:53 AM
    Sig45

Sig45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 & 2021 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4
    AVS in-channel window visors Husky Mud Guards Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT- 265/75/16 C Toyota 16" Black TRD Trail Team Edition Wheels Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover OEM Bed mat OEM Running Boards Marathon custom fit seat covers Front window tint Rear Leaf Spring 4 Pack - TSB Front - 5100's with stock springs set at .85" Rear - 4600's
    The only firearm that's accessible to me in my truck (or any vehicle) is the one in my holster (where legally allowed with my CCP of course). All others are in locked cases either in my truck bed (I have a cap) or on the floor of my DCSB. Never felt the need to have quick access to anything else.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  12. Jul 13, 2018 at 4:00 AM
    kodiakisland

kodiakisland Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    12 AC 4x4 2.7L 5MT
    5100s/1.6in eibachs, wheelers AAL, OME N182 rear shocks, 4.56s, Detroit truetrac, 255/75/17, SOSConcepts sliders
    It's either a good shoot or it's not. If it's not, it won't matter what you used. Went through it with a coroner's inquest. Type of gun never came up.

SurfratTX likes this.
  13. Jul 13, 2018 at 8:16 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    I talked with one of my friends that's a cop in northern VA (admittedly a "bluer" part of VA) last night about it. He elaborated that it really had more to do with potential civil suits. Just imagine some lawyer that can really sell to the jury "he shot poor Timmy with an M16!!! He was a good kid,never hurt anybody"...you've heard the sound clips on the news.

He did say criminally speaking, what you shot him with doesn't matter as long as its legal in the state. But you go yanking your SBR/whatever out to defend against a common road rage driver, and you are gonna face a shitload of questions no matter what. The cops are definitely gonna want to know why you're rolling around with that kinda hardware in your DD.

All that said, my USP .40 or P30SK comes with me almost everywhere. Its what I train with the most, and while I'd love to bust out a long gun if stuff goes down, its harder to conceal walking through Trader Joe's...

14. Jul 13, 2018 at 10:36 AM
    golfindia

Member:
    Yes.
    Vehicle:
    pickup truck
    Also whatever you end up using to defend yourself is going to get confiscated for probably a long time. I'd rather give up my cheap replaceable 870 shotgun than a several thousand dollar MP5 with a thousand dollar suppressor on it.

Brake Weight likes this.
  15. Jul 13, 2018 at 2:12 PM
    kodiakisland

kodiakisland Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    12 AC 4x4 2.7L 5MT
    5100s/1.6in eibachs, wheelers AAL, OME N182 rear shocks, 4.56s, Detroit truetrac, 255/75/17, SOSConcepts sliders
    You risk civil suit in everything you do. Get in a wreck with that plate bumper and someone somewhere is going to sue for inflicting more damage than you should have. It's a very low risk. Very few people have been sued for self defense, although it's fun to think of what if's. Use a legal gun with legal ammo. If it's a good shoot, it won't matter how scary looking the gun is.

It's just my opinion and is worth what you paid, but I am married to a lawyer and have personally gone through the self defense shooting process. Much of the BS that CC instructors tell you about what happens after a shoot is just that.

Anyone who carries should have a copy of Andrew Branca's book Law of Self Defense.

Sig45 and SurfratTX like this.
  16. Jul 13, 2018 at 10:27 PM
    SurfratTX

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    I CC a couple of different 9mm handguns, Walther CCP and a Kel-etc PF9(lightest 8+1 9mm I have ever carried, not very comfortable to shoot but I don’t use it as a range gun). Depends on where I’m going.
    Long trip I throw in my FN PS90, 50 rnds and a few mags, in the backseat area....
    https://fnamerica.com/products/rifles/fn-ps90-50-rd/
    Why....worse case scenario I need something more than 9 rnds in a hand gun.
    Whole lotta reasons I prefer the PS90 to a long gun or shot gun when on a trip.
    Starts with it being compact....and a whole lotta rounds.
    Most police wouldn’t know what a PS90 is even though it’s carried by the Secret Service.
    Don’t give a chit if they were to question me on why I have it since it’s within my legal right to have it.
    As for the comment above about CC instructors BS.....not my experience as I also mentioned above about who my CC instructor was, Charles Cotton, and quite sure he trumps your lawyer husband.
    And for backup I carry U.S. Law Shield.
    https://www.uslawshield.com/

In the mean time, I’ll practice for the bad day I hope never comes. Wife too.
    She’s Russian, required class in high school, taking apart and putting back together and shooting AK-47’s.

FA1B506A-BFB5-4AD3-AF0C-6314A692A86F.jpg

17. Jul 13, 2018 at 10:43 PM
    Brake Weight

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Weld on sliders, fiberglass shell, 12k winch in an Elite Offroad bumper, front Aussie Lunchbox
    I usually pack 2-3 loaded mags and a 50 box of shells. Beit my XD45 or my g22 its all in the glove box. I also CC my P3AT with a spare 10 round mag in the door pocket.

The same concept of the handgun gets you to your long gun except it is micro and service sized.

DubfromGA likes this.
  18. Jul 14, 2018 at 4:07 PM
    SurfratTX

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    And a lot harder to hit center mass at 60+ feet.

19. Jul 14, 2018 at 4:22 PM
    DignTRDoffRoadnbama

DignTRDoffRoadnbama Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD off Road magnetic gray
    Interesting Reads I joined the USCCA, because you never know, just saying :infantry:

SurfratTX likes this.
  20. Jul 14, 2018 at 5:33 PM
    Brake Weight

Member:
    Vehicle:
    With whom are you prepared to engage at 60+ feet with a long gun?

Is 60’ an earmark or something? If you can’t hit a man sized target at 20 yards you don’t need to CC. Hell, I can hum a piece of gravel 60’ and hit somebody.

wilcam47 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top