1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which bed liner is better? Herculiner or Line-X

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by Olson, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Nov 4, 2011 at 6:10 AM
    Olson

Olson [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Vehicle:
    4x4 DBL Cab TRD Sport short bed
    Front-3" Pro-Comp lift coils with ES6000 shocks Rear- 1.5" AAL with Pro-Comp ES9000 K&N Intake Blacked out headlights 8k HID Headlights 8k HID Foglights Cobra CB Radio Avid Off-Road Side steps 2 Memphis Amps 2 10" JL Subs(replaced stock) 3' Whip antenna Black Plast-Dip Valence
    When it comes to money, application, and durability which would everyone recommend?

2. Nov 4, 2011 at 6:16 AM
    45acp

45acp Paint me back in Wyoming again...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Boring, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    1981 Long bed 4x4
    There's really no comparison. Line-x all the way. The previous owner put herculiner on mine and it looks like shit and doesn't hold up well.

3. Nov 4, 2011 at 6:16 AM
    bendbolden

bendbolden Come and take them.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    I installed the Herculiner myself in my last truck (f-150). It was very gritty and rough to the point it would cut skin but did the job. My current truck had the line-x in it when I bought it but it was professionally installed. It is alot smoother but still has that no slip texture. I will say I did a crappy job sanding to metal on the herculiner so it didn't stick in all places and I was able to chip it in other places. I have yet to chip the line-x. I don't know how it will bond to fiberglass on our beds though.

4. Nov 4, 2011 at 6:17 AM
    bendbolden

bendbolden Come and take them.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    Yeah I would have to agree.

5. Nov 4, 2011 at 6:45 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    In this situation - the price definately says it all.

I've never had Line-X or any professionally installed bedliner. Line-X is very expensive but from what I've seen, it's very thick (1/4")??

I've used the Do-it-Yourself $99 Herculiner kit on my 96 truck and my old jeep floors. I can't complain for what I needed it to do.

It's thin - but you can get more and apply more coats.
    After a few years of being exposed to the elements, it will get thinner and wear off. You can buy more and do touch-ups.
    It's a lot of work to apply it - but its cheap (I paid $99 for the kit 12 years ago).
    It'll scratch off if you drag something heavy across it - again, you can touch it up.

Wait..... You have a 2nd gen truck. Why do you want to get bedliner installed? You have the composite bed.

6. Nov 4, 2011 at 6:56 AM
    NicNac22

NicNac22 D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    95 V6 4x4 ex cab SR5 5sp PICKUP!!!
    fun stuff coming soon! New battery, radiator and CV joints and axles. Added some Rancho RS5000 shocks.
    weve had rhino liner and lineX in our trucks both hold up well and have had gouges taken out but never go all the way through, by the time you put enough hurculiner on to match the same thickness youve spent just as much money, and it still doesnt hold up as well IMO, but depends what you want it for. ours was used in heavy duty work trucks that took a beating 10 yrs later still holds up awesome and doesnt cut you up like hurculiner.

lineX is more expensive now, but cheaper in the long run needs less mantinence

you get what you pay for, i put 3 coats of hurculiner on my jon boat and when i slide it into the lake it always scratches some off the bottom, not to mention scratches off some of my skin if i rub up against it.

7. Nov 4, 2011 at 7:19 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    I prefer ONYX over line-x, it's basically the same thing only it has the UV protectant built into it and it's cheaper. I've used it a lot and it holds up well. My father has line-x on his old truck and onyx on his new truck, i know it cost about 200 less than his old truck did 10 years ago (400 vs 600)

8. Nov 4, 2011 at 7:31 AM
    Olson

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Front-3" Pro-Comp lift coils with ES6000 shocks Rear- 1.5" AAL with Pro-Comp ES9000 K&N Intake Blacked out headlights 8k HID Headlights 8k HID Foglights Cobra CB Radio Avid Off-Road Side steps 2 Memphis Amps 2 10" JL Subs(replaced stock) 3' Whip antenna Black Plast-Dip Valence
    i got ahold of line-X retailer it will be $435 and that is with the UV protectant on it for the 2nd Gen, and it will adhere the same as any other truck.

9. Nov 4, 2011 at 7:33 AM
    NicNac22

NicNac22 D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    fun stuff coming soon! New battery, radiator and CV joints and axles. Added some Rancho RS5000 shocks.
    thats not bad, ide go with that, you would need a gl of hurculiner which is about 100 ea, and its a paper thin coat, so by the time you get any kind of thinkness, you spent about 400, plus the time of doing it yourself, plus touchups in the future...

ide let the pros do it

10. Nov 4, 2011 at 7:38 AM
    Olson

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Vehicle:
    ya i will get the liner on it when i come back from deployment. I cant wait to come back get together with fellow TW members and finally hit the trails.

11. Nov 4, 2011 at 7:38 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    Are you line-x'ing your second gen? Composite bed isn't cutting it for you?

12. Nov 4, 2011 at 7:41 AM
    NicNac22

NicNac22 D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    IMO, spray in is way better than the plastic thing they put in, water gets under it and causes rust, i dunno about the new ones, but the old ones are slippery.

soon as i get the stuff that needs to be done finished im gettin a spray in liner, that cap is coming off too when i get it done, but until then its protecting the bed.

13. Nov 4, 2011 at 7:44 AM
    Olson

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Vehicle:
    the composite is holding up but i was moving lots of stuff and my friend dragged an old washing machine out and it scratched the piss out of it... i mean it should be fine. idk i still have 3.5 months to think about it.

14. Aug 5, 2015 at 4:48 PM
    jofish1983

jofish1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jofish
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 tacoma prerunner
    I had Line-X on my last truck. It was the best investment I made on that thing, you wont be dissapointed!
    pointed!

Products Discussed in

To Top