1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which front camera make/model and where mounted on 2018 Limited

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Tacoma3rdGen, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Jan 28, 2019 at 7:45 PM
    Tacoma3rdGen

Tacoma3rdGen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Limited
    I’ve forum searched and found some info on front camera builds... however, I’m having difficulty determining a mounting location and installation bracket build for a front camera on my 2018 Limited. Has anyone found a non obtrusive location on the Limited grille, and if so, which camera and how did you mount it? Thanks in advance for any particulars that you can provide, and if possible pictures of your success.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    GillyLink likes this.
  2. Feb 4, 2019 at 4:36 PM
    Tacoma3rdGen

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Limited
    Ok, I did a little trial/error experimentation... and therefore will answer my own question in case others have a similar inquiry regarding where to mount a front camera on the Limited model Tacoma grille.

Camera model used (comes ready for use as a front camera, can be flipped for backup):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXJ66DW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mounted between bumper and valance using included camera mount... no additional hardware necessary, I used the existing bolt that holds the standard components together:

F86458CB-7887-4F17-B32C-A49CBA991A52.jpg

62A38181-66EE-4135-A765-AF317EC91D95.jpg

50301A93-D6CF-4660-B71A-3D8CF4BEFC94.jpg

Mounting location allows for some of the bumper to be seen to assist with judging distance to objects (top of display). The camera model selected has an option to display distance guidelines, I’m just not sure I want to turn them on for this application.

porterx, SilverII, Hank Heel and 3 others like this.
  3. Feb 5, 2019 at 2:28 AM
    porterx

porterx Well-Known Member

Member:
    How did you tie it into the radio head? Please share. Thank you.

Edit: I really like this camera. Especially the mount.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  4. Feb 5, 2019 at 5:08 AM
    runmc

runmc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green Tacoma TRD OR DCSB
    One Mod after another
    Looks good :thumbsup:

Tacoma3rdGen[OP] likes this.
  5. Feb 5, 2019 at 6:38 AM
    Tacoma3rdGen

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Limited
    There are several anytime backup / front camera mods available, I didn’t want additional switches (my 2018 Limited trim Tacoma doesn’t have any switch blanks available except for the large one on the driver’s side left lower panel), therefore I went with the car-solutions unit. That model allows for activating the camera by using existing steering wheel switches, just double tap the mode button to turn on... and use the up/down arrows to switch between front and back cameras. Plug and play, no need for cutting/splicing/soldering, easy install, and can return to stock without hassle anytime. Lots of other similar accessories available from these folks:

https://car-solutions.com/en/rfcc-ttg2-car-camera-control-system-for-toyota-touch-2-entune.php

Like I mentioned, there are several other options... many of which have “how to” builds on TW, this unit’s application is similar to those.

6. Feb 5, 2019 at 7:28 AM
    porterx

Member:
    Thank you for the link and explanation. I have the exact Tacoma as you. I will look into it when I have a chance. I don't have access to a desktop right now.

What I want is an all on one solution that ties 3 cams into my Entune display: the existing rear view cam, a parking cam like yours and a front view cam mounted on the existing windshield Gopro mount that I could continuously record while the truck is powered. I thought I had seen that solution on this forum but things are so hard to find on this site. I should've bookmarked it but i didnt.

I know i can do the diode routing solution but am still looking for the perfect solution.

Again, thank you.

Edit: I looked at the link you provided. It looks really promising. I may contact them and ask if they'd be able to incorporate a third camera. They price certainly is right.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  7. Feb 5, 2019 at 9:35 AM
    Tacoma3rdGen

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Limited
    Entirely possible (I believe)... definitely contact them, they respond by email relatively quickly. The manual wiring diagram shows the R-Cam RCA connection which isn’t used on the 2018 Entune w/JBL, I only needed to utilize the F-Cam input and 12v power supply. The factory rear camera activates through the magic of the patch harness connection, thereby leaving access to another camera input. One note, the R-Cam power connection on the harness is 6v not the standard 12v, I’m not sure how you plan to power the GoPro, just FYI. You’ll just need a solution to “override” the factory backup camera and switch to the car-solutions R-Cam input. May be as simple as applying power to the R-Cam, for an automatic override. Good luck and report back...

Full wiring diagram and manual:

https://car-solutions.com/nfs/product/875000/file/rfcc_camera_control_system_manual_en.pdf

A3ECE999-17E7-4959-8636-9E5EF3E93B1E.jpg

72EA7502-54E6-4A15-969B-4B1299001645.jpg

8. Feb 6, 2019 at 12:11 PM
    beergeek

beergeek Well-Known Member

Member:
    RI
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tacoma Limited
    Thanks @Tacoma3rdGen for posting all the info.
    I just ordered the same setup.

Tacoma3rdGen[OP] likes this.
  9. Feb 6, 2019 at 12:19 PM
    UserTaco

UserTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB
    Sub for later

10. Feb 21, 2019 at 2:48 PM
    vanfireman

vanfireman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cape Cod, MA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport double Cab 6Spd MT
    Mud Flaps x4 Extang Solid Fold 2.0 Tonneau S/S Tube Steps Air Horn (AironBoard push button switch) LED Bed Lighting (wired to Cargo lamp) Center Console organizer (Vehicle OCD) Center Console lid Molle pouch Tailgate TACOMA letter inserts (in Black Carbon Fiber) LED light upgrades (Headlight, HiBeam, Fog, Map, Dome, Vanity, Reverse, License Plate) Caliraised MOLLE Rack (right side) (2) Rear Rough Country LED spot/floods (AironBoard Switch) - these also come on with reverse gear Anytime Front, Cargo Bed, & Backup Camera Auxiliary fuse box Meso Customs 7-hole lower switch panel Meso Customs Extended fuse cover No-slip Bed Mat Pop-n-Lock Kit (KTJO) TRD “Faux” Grille with LED running lights Electronic “police style” air horn [Coming soon] Dash Vinyl Kit
    @porterx have you come up with any solutions yet? I have a 16 TRD and want to do 3 cameras: Front, Rear, and Inside truck bed. I’d like the images to come up on my Entune, but I’d like to use push switches for them.

Too much to do?

porterx likes this.
  11. Feb 21, 2019 at 3:39 PM
    porterx

Member:
    It's fairly easy to do if you have any electronics knowledge. I got a pic from here on how to wire it up. It's the diode method. It's just matter of wiring into a video quality 4 position rotary switch and into the head unit where the rear camera goes in. It will be fairly time consuming though. That's why I've been looking into standalone dashcams and the RFCC harness.

12. Feb 25, 2019 at 11:17 AM
    beergeek

Member:
    RI
    Vehicle:
    In the above diagram it shows the power to the front cam as being connected red-to-black (at #8). Did you connect it that way? (Doesn’t seem right.)

13. Feb 25, 2019 at 11:26 AM
    Tacoma3rdGen

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Limited
    That is NOT a correct interpretation, the +/- connection follow +/- (red to red, black to black) to the front 12v camera... no additional ground or power is required. Also, no change/connection is required for the factory rear camera, it connects through the normal factory method, leaving both the rear RCA and power connections free. You may also disregard the red wire coming from any RCA connector, as that isn’t needed with the car-solutions system.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  14. Feb 25, 2019 at 11:28 AM
    beergeek

Member:
    RI
    Vehicle:
    Thanks!

15. Feb 25, 2019 at 11:36 AM
    Tacoma3rdGen

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Limited
    Oops... read the question too fast... edit original reply. Red to red and black to black is the correct wiring scheme... the diagram is misleading.

porterx likes this.
  16. Feb 25, 2019 at 5:08 PM
    porterx

Member:
    I just bought this camera. Thanks. There was another one just like it that said it is marine ready but some of the reviews said it will let water in over time. And it had a CMD cam. Not sure what that is but I know CMOS is a cheaper sensor type. The one you bought has CCD sensor which I know is better than CMOS so I bought it.

As for the RFCC setup, I thought it was fairly cheap but it looks like there is a $50 to $80 shipping fee depending on the shipper you choose. Is that how you did it or did you find a cheaper shipping solution?

17. Feb 25, 2019 at 5:16 PM
    Tacoma3rdGen

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Limited
    So far the camera has held up in snow, rain, freezing rain, cinder and salt mix (post snow storm), and a few car washes... no issue to date. I believe the mounting location I choose provides some minor protection from these elements.

porterx[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Feb 25, 2019 at 6:58 PM
    porterx

Member:
    I thought I had asked in this post but now I can't find my question so thought I'd ask it here. The shipping for the RFCC that you linked to shows as anywhere from $50 to $80 depending on which shipper you use and is of Eastern European Origin. Is that what you found as well or were there cheaper shipping options when you bought yours? Do you know of any other sources that don't kill you with shipping?

I did find a RFCC TTG1 Car Camera Control System for Toyota Touch, Scion Bespoke+Free Camera for $122 on ebay but it says it only works on 2012-2014 Tacomas. Does anyone know if the TTG1 will actually work in the 3rd gen Tacoma and what is the difference between the TTG1 and the TTG2?

TIA.

Edit: I found the RFCC TTG2 on ebay for $122 and free shipping. Awesome. But there are 0 available. I guess I'll keep and eye out in case they replenish their stock. I did send the seller a message asking if and when they would be relisting it on ebay. RFCC TTG2 Car Camera Control Switch System for Toyota Touch 2/Entune+Free Camera

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  19. Feb 25, 2019 at 7:11 PM
    Tacoma3rdGen

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Limited
    For 3rd gen you’ll need the TTG2 (Toyota Touch 2) system... I paid $148 for everything, including PayPal and shipping fees. Received the product in 4 days via FedEx:

1B2C7960-DC63-446B-9A95-8661BABCB463.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    porterx[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Feb 25, 2019 at 8:00 PM
    RushT

RushT Amateur Everythingist

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    '18 DCSB TRDOR Inferno
    Nice.... I wasn't aware of these guys. I did the anytime backup camera mod and am honestly pretty happy with it. However, had I know that there was an 'OEM switch' functional option, I might have gone that route. There's something I've been thinking about lately but it would require another switch.... oh yeah, the 2Lo mod. I don't have any switch blanks left so this might solve that problem as I'd get my switch blank back from my camera mod.

To Top