1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which Gen 1 lift kit is best for me?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by sirsaechao, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Jun 18, 2012 at 1:47 AM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    The SAW's (and any high end C/O) should give you the best ride bar none...

Why not just get the SAW's rebuilt???

2. Jun 18, 2012 at 7:04 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    The down time. This is my DD and I don't have a spare vehicle. Unless someone knows a place on the Sacramento area that can rebuild coilovers in a day can let me know.

3. Jun 18, 2012 at 7:36 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    dude, don't get your panties in a bunch. Everyone has their opinions and their favorites. There are plenty of people that like both. I just cited one guy that has actually TRIED both. He could be a lunatic for all we know. Actually, I have spoken to him...He probably IS a lunatic. ;)

4. Jun 18, 2012 at 7:45 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Niice!

My wife tells me I have to wear pants to the office EVERY day. She has no idea what the "casual" in business "casual means".

5. Jun 19, 2012 at 3:30 PM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    I am leaning towards 880's with top plate and Wheeler's 4 pack or 881's with top plate and Wheeler's 5-pack. Remember I will be running 265/75R16's. Wasn't looking for a lift just a better ride. And with the 5-pack and 881's I need to get BBV, longer brake lines (maybe) and exhaust bracket. With the 4-pack and 880's I don't. Help me choose. Don't want 265/75's to look small with the 881's. Wheeler's said the 880 with top plate with level with the 4-pack but I've seen a lot of pics of 881 and 5 pack on ext cab and 265/75's that look good but still a rake up front which is why I am considering the 10mm top plate spacer. Just not sure which route to take...880's or 881's? Thanks.

6. Jun 19, 2012 at 3:38 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    keep the SAWs man. They are rebuildable you know. Just send them into DSM. You can always add a stiffer coil to them as well.

7. Jun 19, 2012 at 3:45 PM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    They will be rebuilt and kept as backup. I don't have my stock coils and don't want to bother with downtime on sending them in and having it rebuilt while my truck is down...its my daily driver so I need it.

8. Jun 19, 2012 at 7:56 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    the SAWs will be way better then anything from OME anyways dude..

9. Jun 20, 2012 at 1:05 AM
    TacoMX

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    X2. Coilovers are the ultimate suspension mod for ifs...I don't understand why you would get them rebuilt and just keep them as a backup.

But I do see where your coming from about the truck being your DD and you can't afford the down time...hmmm

10. Jun 20, 2012 at 1:51 AM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    Downtime sucks not sure what to do. Buy another set of coilovers and just swap them out when rebuild time is up? Cost more but I wouldnt worry about which coil and/or a top plate is needed or not to match the rear leaf I decide cause its adjustable??? Dilemma.

11. Jun 20, 2012 at 2:02 AM
    TacoMX

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    Yes, the adjustability is nice, but coilovers also ride the best and will virtually last a lifetime because they can be rebuilt.

Maybe buy some cheap Monroe struts and use them till you get the c/o's back...then keep them as a backup.

There are also some super cheap coil/strut combos on eBay that would work as a temp option till you got your SAWS back.

Also keep in mind (your in SoCal right??) DSM is in SoCal and your turnaround time should be relatively short.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Jun 20, 2012 at 2:12 AM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    I am in Nor Cal and if anything like I said I would buy another set. More expensive but don't have to guesstimate whether the coil spring will match a certain rear leaf or not. Also can adjust to compensate that and the weight, sag and lean. I may pull the trigger on a new set of SAW 2.0 and 4 pack and call it good...no idea now if I go that route whether I want 4 pack or 5 pack? I know with the 5 pack I'll have to spend more on exhaust bracket, bpv and possibly longer rear brake lines where the 4 pack I can get away without since it is supposed to yield stock height.

13. Jun 20, 2012 at 2:25 AM
    TacoMX

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    Well if you want lift, get the 5 pack.

A bvp, exhaust bracket, and a longer brake line is mere pennies compared to what you will spend on the rest.

And...I have a 5pack and shackles and have none of the aforementioned.

I should get a longer brake line soon because at full droop the line is pretty tight...but I am not doing any hardcore wheeling soon...and a bvp is on the list.

14. Jun 20, 2012 at 6:12 AM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    Can anyone who had coilovers and OME before chime in as to which kit rode better for them? I have only rode on stock TRD and SAW 2.0's. Also I noticed with the OME spring, Nitro shocks, trim kit, 10mm spacer and assembled cost a mere $125 less then new SAW 2.0's??? Guess my decision is now what rear lift kit...4-pack or 5-pack??? Decisions decisions.

15. Jun 20, 2012 at 6:19 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Why not find someone who is upgrading, get their stock coilovers and throw them on with a cheap top plate spacer just to get you down the road while the SAWs are getting rebuilt? It's not a great setup, but it is cheap and will do for a week while you get the good stuff taken care of.

16. Jun 20, 2012 at 6:21 AM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    That's a good idea or fine some for cheap on CL.

17. Jun 20, 2012 at 6:22 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    I gave my old COs and spacer away to a needy member just to get them out of the garage.

18. Jun 20, 2012 at 8:19 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    With the 5 pack, you won't need exhaust relocate. And you can make a BPV reloacte bracket out of stock aluminum, a hacksaw, and a drill. You likely will need the ext brake line if you max your truck out offroad. Otherwise, you proabably wont' need it.

Look in my gallery for height ideas and rake. I've had maybe a 1/4 inch settle on the 881s, and 1/2 inch on the 5 pack.

I got the 5 pack because I wanted a stonger overall leafpack. I have the 5mm trim packer (not plate) on the driver side.

I also still have the stock, wornout original coils if you want them (but no shocks, these are not ready to bolt on coilovers). I am in Sac.

Edit: I originally had 5100s st on zero with the 881s, but the ride seemed to get harsher after a while. I swapped them out for nitrochargers, which I like much more, but are still firm. If you get OME coils, I recommend you get OME shocks. The are designed to match rates.

19. Jun 21, 2012 at 8:43 AM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    Let me make the suggestion again. Call and talk to Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. He has run virtually every different setup on his personal Tacoma. From Coilovers to Tundra coils and has experience driving on so many other setups. When it was all said and done, he came back to OME suspension on his personal truck. I'll admit that one setup might be right for one guy but not for another because they use their trucks differently. BUT, Kurt is a guy with a ton of experience and knowledge that is under-utilized in the Toyota community. He can really help you figure out what will work best for your uses and your typical wheeling environment, whether it's OME or not.

20. Jun 21, 2012 at 10:54 AM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    Right now just deciding if I need longer rear brake lines and a exhaust bracket with a 5 pack. I wont be flexing my truck so wasnt sure if I needed those of now.

Products Discussed in

To Top